1/72 Hasegawa F-111A and EF-111A dual build

Now that my Hellcats and Fw 190s are complete, it’s time for another 1/72 dual build.  With the recent releases of the Caracal Decals F-111 sheets, I think my next project is set!  

I am going to build 2x Hasegawa F-111’s:

- 389th FS F-111A (with 16x Mk.20 Rockeye for something a bit different) 

- Test EF-111A with the red-orange markings as seen on the Hasegawa box art, but with Caracal decals (only need to use the kit unit badge)

I will use:

- Master pitot tubes

- Eduard etch (it’s for the D/F, but I might cheat on the A instrument panel and use or slightly modify the F panel)

- Brassin Mk.20s and AIM-9Js 

- ResKit exhaust and wheels

This should be fun!   There aren’t a ton of 1/72 Hasegawa F-111 build reviews online, so if you’ve built these and have any pointers, let me know.  Thanks!

Steve

zrEYwib.jpg

YCR2axc.jpg

Z1RfsO7.jpg

dErUvXQ.jpg

hfaE9k0.jpg

Let’s get started on the F-111A.  This is a kit from 1989.  I am impressed with the fit, but the details are rather lacking, or to be fair, what you would expect 30 years ago.  There is no option for an opened canopy, but I still plan on adding a few things to the cockpit.

The Eduard etch set provides some nice details for cockpit like side and center/bulkhead consoles, throttles, and ejection seat handles, and a nice instrument looking panel.  To me eye, the “F” panel matches the kit decal for the “A” panel most closely and I will be using that.   I don’t see a ton of value added by using the photoetch belts compared to the molded detail already on the kit seats, so I will leave those alone.   I may add the grimes lights above each seat as well.  

Here is a look at the bare plastic cockpit after basic assembly

tBFXmqx.jpg

The cockpit assembly sits on top of two parts that make up the nose gear bay.

qK2PWgI.jpg

The resultant seam and general lack of detail in the nose gear bay is going to get a little extra detailing.  Thin 0.10 sheet styrene will hide the seam and provide a base for what comes next.  I haven’t seen many clear pictures of the roof of the nose gear bay but it does appear that the aft section is corrugated a bit.  If you have any pictures of this area, I would surely appreciate it!  Thanks!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
20 hours ago, Major Walt said:

Those were the best F-111 kits ever.

I wish they would have done one in 1/48 too. Instead we have the aged Academy kit and the mess that is the Hobby Boss kit.

Anyway, looking forward to these builds. I love the F-111 and builds of them, in any scale, seem rare.

21 hours ago, Major Walt said:

Those were the best F-111 kits ever.

Amazing right?!  1989 vintage and still the best according to the majority of reviews I’ve read!   

42 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I wish they would have done one in 1/48 too. Instead we have the aged Academy kit and the mess that is the Hobby Boss kit.

Anyway, looking forward to these builds. I love the F-111 and builds of them, in any scale, seem rare.

Me too!  Especially now that Caracal is putting out some awesome new decals sheets for the -111 of all flavors.   

I am on a two week vacation with the family, so this thread won’t be updated for a bit, but I plan to hit it hard this fall and wrap them up before the end of the year!  

Steve

Hi Steve! Very nice start, a good collection of AM you got there 🙂 . Sometimes I also feel that need to build something old, simple and rugged, such as my SR-71 in 1/72. Btw I just ordered yesterday the Kinetic's kit of RQ-4B Global Hawk, and the box says that it has some 60+ parts.... Amazing feeling 🙂 Anyway, I like the F-wonderleven quite a lot and I have the HobbyBoss kit from quite some time now. So I also collected refference pix and I just went through them. And yes, I found about a dozen images of the NLG and here are only a few that show that upper section of the bay:

f-111a-67-0051-56-of-88.jpg

f-111e-67-0120-19-of-69.jpg

f-111e-67-0120-23-of-69.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 3:59 PM, my favs are F`s said:

Hi Steve! Very nice start, a good collection of AM you got there 🙂 . Sometimes I also feel that need to build something old, simple and rugged, such as my SR-71 in 1/72. Btw I just ordered yesterday the Kinetic's kit of RQ-4B Global Hawk, and the box says that it has some 60+ parts.... Amazing feeling 🙂 Anyway, I like the F-wonderleven quite a lot and I have the HobbyBoss kit from quite some time now. So I also collected refference pix and I just went through them. And yes, I found about a dozen images of the NLG and here are only a few that show that upper section of the bay:

Those are great references!  Thank you. 

I also found an old copy of the Detail and Sclae F-111 book on eBay, which should be an invaluable resource 👍🏻👍🏻

Steve

Not a lot of progress, but I did get some of the etch in the F-111A cockpit.  The etch belts weren’t worth the trouble in my opinion, so I left the seats alone.  I am probably going to use the F-111F etched panel in the Eduard set “as is”.  I think for a closed cockpit in 1/72, it will work 😜

TEpiyoq.jpg

I lost the left seat throttle to the carpet monster as well.  Anyways...once the kids are back in school next week, I should be able to have more bench time.   I have a bunch of sheet and stick styrene on the way from Scale Hobbyist to help detail the nose gear bay.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
On 8/9/2020 at 8:30 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Those are great references!  Thank you. 

I also found an old copy of the Detail and Sclae F-111 book on eBay, which should be an invaluable resource 👍🏻👍🏻

Steve

Steve, if you need more, I know a guy that may be able to help.  Planning a Modern Vark Guide at some point.

I, too, love the F-111.  Especially the EF.  They were frequent visitors here at Wright-Patterson when I was a kid.

Jake

2 hours ago, jmel said:

Steve, if you need more, I know a guy that may be able to help.  Planning a Modern Vark Guide at some point.

I, too, love the F-111.  Especially the EF.  They were frequent visitors here at Wright-Patterson when I was a kid.

Jake

Thanks for stopping by Jake!  I think I have what I need for now, but I will definitely keep that in mind!   

I’m also happy to hear there may one day be a Modern Vark Guide...I hope to tackle the 1/48 Academy FB-111 in my stash at some point.   

Steve

8/31 update

“A giant waste of time”

Well, I am having fun but I think accuracy is questionable at best.  I kinda copied the hobbyboss 1/48 nose gear roof part for relief detail (cardinal sin, I know!) but...it’s better than before 😬🤷‍♂️

I need to add the rocket nozzle at the back for the crew capsule and refine a few things and I will call it done.  

6mZbTyW.jpg

PfLhSwT.jpg

For the EF-111, I will probably just blank off the seam and add the corrugated part at the front.  I’m not sure this is worth the time in the end, but I’m learning and hopefully improving my scratch game 

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
On 9/2/2020 at 7:49 AM, Phil Ciborowski said:

Following with great interest - I have these kits myself and was looking for just this type of thread!

Welcome aboard (in my best SWA airline pilot voice)!  These are great kits and I am pretty impressed with how they are going together in-spite of their age.

Here’s a quick update on the gear bays:

Due to the modifications I made in the nose gear bay, I had to clip the nose gear strut from the plastic piece where it is incorporated with the rear wall of the bay.  This piece contains a few details, including the rocket nozzle for the crew capsule, so I carefully cut that out and added it back (and drilled it out).  Again, I’m not sure this was worth all the fuss, compared to going with what Hasegawa provides in the box, but it did hide the big seam on the roof of the nose gear bay.   

U32VSVJ.jpg

The interior of the main gear bay is at a much higher level of detail out of the box. Once again, the engineering is clever to hide the seam at the back of the bay by inserting a separate piece that incorporates the main gear strut assembly.   There is no detail provided on the forward wall of the main gear bay and I suspect that is because it is almost impossible to see with the gear in place.   I will probably leave it alone.  

Of course, there are numerous ejector pin holes that need to be filled and carefully sanded back on the various bay and strut components, but I am getting closer to actually painting something!   

Steve

Steve,

I'm working on some F-111s at the moment as well. A few things to keep in mind:

Step 7 has you add the lower IFF antenna (G24)--do that.

In Step 13, DO NOT install part G23--that is the position of the Lower IFF antenna on FB-111A/F-111G only.

In Step 17, DO NOT install outboard pylons G16--those were only used by FB-111As

I've never seen an F-111A loaded with 600-gal fuel tanks. IF they were ever carried it would have been on the outboard (middle) pylons--NEVER on the inboards. This goes for any tactical F-111. The stateside-based F-111A & Ds never carried tanks and the UK-based F-111E/Fs rarely carried them (usually only while on alert or the on final day of an exercise). A realistic load for the Mountain Home jet would be SUU-20 practice bomb dispenser on the inboards and BRU-3s on the outboards.

2 hours ago, mrvark said:

Steve,

I'm working on some F-111s at the moment as well. A few things to keep in mind:

Step 7 has you add the lower IFF antenna (G24)--do that.

In Step 13, DO NOT install part G23--that is the position of the Lower IFF antenna on FB-111A/F-111G only.

In Step 17, DO NOT install outboard pylons G16--those were only used by FB-111As

I've never seen an F-111A loaded with 600-gal fuel tanks. IF they were ever carried it would have been on the outboard (middle) pylons--NEVER on the inboards. This goes for any tactical F-111. The stateside-based F-111A & Ds never carried tanks and the UK-based F-111E/Fs rarely carried them (usually only while on alert or the on final day of an exercise). A realistic load for the Mountain Home jet would be SUU-20 practice bomb dispenser on the inboards and BRU-3s on the outboards.

Excellent information- thank you for the tidbits!   I know it’s not the most realistic, but I am planning on loading up 16x MK.20s in a slant four configuration.  They will be painted white (not blue inerts like the pic below.)  
K8lNSnD.jpg

I thought it would be fun and give the model a “different” factor.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Steve, I like it! You are taking a very practical approach to adding detail and hiding obvious detail flaws in the original kit design. I have a Hasegawa 1/72 FB-111A in the stash that will eventually see the light of day, perhaps along with a AMT 1/72 KC-135A circa mid 1980s Pease AFB dio. So I am watching and learning.  Keep up the great work!

Kind regards,  Dutch 

On 9/6/2020 at 4:39 PM, Dutch said:

Steve, I like it! You are taking a very practical approach to adding detail and hiding obvious detail flaws in the original kit design. I have a Hasegawa 1/72 FB-111A in the stash that will eventually see the light of day, perhaps along with a AMT 1/72 KC-135A circa mid 1980s Pease AFB dio. So I am watching and learning.  Keep up the great work!

Kind regards,  Dutch 

Thanks for the kind words Dutch!  Your C-130s are looking great as well!

Update 9/9

I finished painting the cockpit this afternoon.
C9gDMnc.jpg

I used Mr Color Dark Gull Gray and various Vallejo Acrylics before varnishing everything with X-22.  The red seat top got a bit of oil work to try and simulate the leathery look of the real padding.   Washes are Tamiya Dark Brown and Black, except for the instrument and side panels, which received a gray enamel wash to highlight all the buttons and switches in the etch panels.   I went over the IP a few times before deciding it’s good enough.  Those engine dials are really really small!

Bqii537.jpg

I will use AK Gauzy on the reverse side of the panel to make lenses where appropriate, then paint over the back of that with clear green and clear orange enamel.   

Thanks for stopping by!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Super excited with how this is looking! I am taking copious notes so (hopefully) mine can be half as good!  Where did you get the cockpit PE from? And have you run across for any for the EF?  I might just snag two and use those, since the canopy does not have an option to be opened..

On 9/9/2020 at 5:02 PM, Phil Ciborowski said:

Super excited with how this is looking! I am taking copious notes so (hopefully) mine can be half as good!  Where did you get the cockpit PE from? And have you run across for any for the EF?  I might just snag two and use those, since the canopy does not have an option to be opened..

Thanks!  I found it on EBay and I haven’t seen any 1/72 PE for the EF-111 unfortunately.   

On 9/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, Major Walt said:

That’s professional grade work! I haven’t seen that kind of finishing quality on a cockpit in even 1/32nd scale!

I don’t know about that, but I feel like every model gets better.   Thanks for the kind words!

9/11

Quick update- just a picture

jhJgGy4.jpg