MONOGRAM F-84 E/G 1/48

Greetings...

My next project will be the excellent Monogram F84. I was debating this and Tamiya version and a review on the Net indicates the Mongram version to have better accurate outline. Plus the reviews are excellent in terms of details and fit ... Unlike the F80, there are plenty of after market decals and parts. Dai 

VhQC1s4.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello everyone...

Getting the fuselage ready to be closed up.  You have to do some careful dry fittings and minor trimming to get the vertical intake perpendicular to the horizontal axis.  The cockpit is given a coat of gloss to protect it from sand dust later. It will be flat coated at the end. Dai 

ulDOaYt.jpg

GzwR2fD.jpg

Good Monday evening everyone...

Some more progress. I have to remove the molded in front landing gear doors because it is accident waiting to happen. Also cannot mask with them being in place. Not too good engineering on this one. Dai 

NPdoXaO.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello Dai,

Looking good! I´m building the same kit right now, only it's the E with the early canopy. I'm on the painting stage.

Fit was really good, but just like you said I ended up breaking the front landing gear doors. Good call removing them!

Waiting for new updates! :popcorn:

Regards,

Tato

24 minutes ago, Tato said:

Hello Dai,

Looking good! I´m building the same kit right now, only it's the E with the early canopy. I'm on the painting stage.

Fit was really good, but just like you said I ended up breaking the front landing gear doors. Good call removing them!

Waiting for new updates! :popcorn:

Regards,

Tato

Make sure the horizontal tail has dihedral. Monogram does not note this. The F84 and the F4 has the horizontal tail that does not follow conventional design. May I see yours? Dai 

21 hours ago, dai phan said:

Make sure the horizontal tail has dihedral. Monogram does not note this. The F84 and the F4 has the horizontal tail that does not follow conventional design. May I see yours? Dai 

Hi Dai,

Thank you for the advice! Here's mine:

F-84-E-Thunderjet-2.jpg

And with my F-5 also in the painting stage.

F-84-E-Thunderjet-3.jpg

Sorry for the quality of my photos, but they were taken with my phone.

Regards,

Tato

1 hour ago, Tato said:

Hi Dai,

Thank you for the advice! Here's mine:

F-84-E-Thunderjet-2.jpg

And with my F-5 also in the painting stage.

F-84-E-Thunderjet-3.jpg

Sorry for the quality of my photos, but they were taken with my phone.

Regards,

Tato

That is really nice metal. What paint? Alclad II right? Great job !!! Dai 

Edited by dai phan
1 hour ago, dai phan said:

That is really nice metal. What paint? Alclad II right? Great job !!! Dai 

Thank you for your kind words Dai. Is AK Extreme Metal Aluminium and Dark Aluminium for some of the panels. Under the aluminium is MRP Black primer with a few coats of Tamiya's X-22 Gloss diluted with Mr. Leveling Thinner. It helps to give a nice effect to the metallic colors.

1 hour ago, dai phan said:

Hello everyone...

About to sand ... Dai 

zL6rcs6.jpg

Nice!! Almost ready to paint! You are flying with this one.

Regards,

Tato

Hello everyone...

Completed the main NMF. The color is Mr Color " Super Silver". I find this color to be realistic as it does not have the "chromic" shine like other brands. Next will be some panels with different shades. Dai

MnVNWLM.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello everyone ...

Some more progress on my project... Tomorrow the plane will be on its feet and clear coated for the decal process.  I am debating if I should do different shade panels but on the F-84, some have single uniform NMF while others have different panels shade. I have yet to see ones with a similiar pattern. If I do multiple panel shading, it is pretty much all guess work so I may leave the way it is... What to do ?  Dai

CtTEjLS.jpg

Hr6JXnp.jpg

Edited by dai phan
On 8/10/2020 at 5:17 PM, lockheed2004 said:

Dai - which super silver did you use?  Mr color 159 - Super Silver or the Mr Color SM 201 - Super Metallic Super Fine Silver?

The 159. The other is buffable that I do not like as it can be easily rubbed off and leave a mess every where ! Dai 

Greetings modelers ...

The plane is on its wheels and the canopy is painted. I used the Skylancer's F84G decals (OOP) for the cockpit frames and I must say they have the best documentation on the decal subjects I have ever seen. Each decal set has a detailed booklet on the markings. If you wonder why these frames have the gray or white color, the answer is that initially the frames were painted aluminum lacquer but they deteriorated quickly in the air leaving the gray primer underneath that eventually faded giving away to the whitish color.  There are lots of Solvaset and moving the decals around but the decals are tough enough for the handling. The plane is now ready for decal application. All the photos I see on the 84Gs indicated there is no predictable patterns of the panel shadings and none with a complete airframe that shows what panels need to be shaded. Everything will be guess work so I am leaving mine as is. I went overboard and bought lots of decal sets so now I need to decide what scheme to go for. Dai 

DUaSDCt.jpg

vIVCUll.jpg

6ry5D6D.jpg

X0gPmRf.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello,

I am having terrible time with the yellow bands on the 250 lb bombs. The Monogram decals do not fit and after market decals did not do any better either.  I am now resigned to masking and paint it. Any other ideas? Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Question... On the plylon that carries the 250 lb bomb, can the same pylon carry any other loads? I am thinking of doing away the 250 lb bombs as the yellow bands in my hands are impossible to get a straight line and look right in that scale.  Perhaps 500 lbs bombs? Thanks Dai 

Hello Dai,

I think the best method is to just paint the bomb yellow first and then mask with thin strips of masking tape. There is also available masking for curves. Maybe that will make it easier?

If you don't want to load your F-84 with bombs, you can look for some Tiny Tim rockets if your are doing a Korean War version. I know they exist in resin, but I can't remember the company who made them.

Here is a photo of an F-84 with those rockets: 

Clicky

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tato

1 hour ago, Tato said:

Hello Dai,

I think the best method is to just paint the bomb yellow first and then mask with thin strips of masking tape. There is also available masking for curves. Maybe that will make it easier?

If you don't want to load your F-84 with bombs, you can look for some Tiny Tim rockets if your are doing a Korean War version. I know they exist in resin, but I can't remember the company who made them.

Here is a photo of an F-84 with those rockets: 

Clicky

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tato

Thank you Tato. I have the Tamiya flexible tape and yes it does curves well but wrapping around a cylinder and straight across is impossible in my hands. Do you know if Tiny Tim fits with the 250 lb bomb pylon? The pylons are already glued in and I would rather not pry it loose for other pylons. I know the F84 can carry 500 and 1000 lbs according to the specificications. I have done research on the Net and my problem is quite common among modelers. I eagerly await yours and others expert replies. I am stuck with my progress at the moment.  Dai 

PS: Metallic Details and Attack Squadron make the TT rockets in 1/48.

Edited by dai phan
22 hours ago, dai phan said:

Thank you Tato. I have the Tamiya flexible tape and yes it does curves well but wrapping around a cylinder and straight across is impossible in my hands. Do you know if Tiny Tim fits with the 250 lb bomb pylon? The pylons are already glued in and I would rather not pry it loose for other pylons. I know the F84 can carry 500 and 1000 lbs according to the specificications. I have done research on the Net and my problem is quite common among modelers. I eagerly await yours and others expert replies. I am stuck with my progress at the moment.  Dai 

PS: Metallic Details and Attack Squadron make the TT rockets in 1/48.

Hi Dai,

I have been doing a little research and from what I can see the rockets were built using some 500 lb bomb parts. Also looking at photos it seems that the pylons are the same for the TT and bombs, witch kind of rather confirms the commonality between both weapons. But I'm not sure, there is probably someone who knows better.

I also found this build. It's in 1/32 but the pylons kind of look the same for the bombs. It that's the case, then it's only matter of adding the sway braces.

Build

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tato

PS: Thank you for names of the resin companies!

Edited by Tato