Airbus has concluded 2 year autonomous flight test series

"Toulouse, 29 June 2020 – Following an extensive two-year flight test programme, Airbus has successfully concluded its Autonomous Taxi, Take-Off and Landing (ATTOL) project.

In completing this project, Airbus has achieved autonomous taxiing, take-off and landing of a commercial aircraft through fully automatic vision-based flight tests using on-board image recognition technology - a world-first in aviation.

In total, over 500 test flights were conducted. Approximately 450 of those flights were dedicated to gathering raw video data, to support and fine tune algorithms, while a series of six test flights, each one including five take-offs and landings per run, were used to test autonomous flight capabilities.

The ATTOL project was initiated by Airbus to explore how autonomous technologies, including the use of machine learning algorithms and automated tools for data labelling, processing and model generation, could help pilots focus less on aircraft operations and more on strategic decision-making and mission management."

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2020/06/airbus-concludes-attol-with-fully-autonomous-flight-tests.html

I've always had mixed feelings about Airbus' design philosophy that gives the computer priority in decision making, as opposed to Boeing's which give the pilot priority in the decision making process (as far as control inputs). Now this. Don't know if I'd like it knowing that a computer was in charge of taking off and landing now. That plus autopilot during most of the flight. Seems like they're making the pilot kind of superfluous.

When things go wrong (bird strikes and weather etc)....having a pilot up front makes the difference most of the time.   Occasionally the pilot can not figure out the issue and disaster is the result, but there are so many stories of pilots saving the passengers lives when a bad situation unfolds.  I really do not see the day when there is no pilot. 

It is the same with cars that drive themselves.  What happens when owners get lazy and do not clean the sensors of these self driving cars?  Or when these self driving cars are 15 years old and poorly maintained.

37 minutes ago, SBARC said:

It is the same with cars that drive themselves.  What happens when owners get lazy and do not clean the sensors of these self driving cars?  Or when these self driving cars are 15 years old and poorly maintained.

This whole business with autonomous cars scare me. We're seeing more and more of this tech in cars. We are substituting technology for good driving habits. What happens when someone who has only driven in one of these "nanny cars" gets into an older vehicle without this tech. Yea, sends chill down my spine. People will get hurt.

But, this is off topic so back to computer assisted flying.

Edited by Mstor
6 minutes ago, Mstor said:

This whole business with autonomous cars scare me. We're seeing more and more of this tech in cars. We are substituting technology for good driving habits. What happens when someone who has only driven in one of these "nanny cars" gets into an older vehicle without this tech. Yea, sends chill down my spine. People will get hurt.

But, this is off topic so back to computer assisted flying.

One tiny comment regarding cars then back to planes. 

I was driving my Rav 4 a year ago.  Stopped behind a car making a left turn.....1 lane each way, so there was no where for me to go.  I checked in my rear view mirror and noticed a very new Mercedes SUV coming up on my at about 35 mph with no intention of stopping.  I realized my Rav 4 was about to get rear ended and totaled and pondered how bad my injuries would be.  Seconds before impact the Mercedes SUV made a sudden emergency stop with no screeching of tires and stopped with 3 feet to spare.  WOW!!!  Car in front turned....I proceeded and watched in my mirror as the Mercedes SUV sat there for 30 seconds with the 4 way flashes flashing.  Finally the car permitted the driver to continue driving.  Seeing the 4 way flashers activated makes me think an automatic braking system kicked in and saved me.  I drive older cars...manual shift....some with carbs and points and ignition plus I ride older motor bikes.

6 minutes ago, SBARC said:

I drive older cars...manual shift....some with carbs and points and ignition plus I ride older motor bikes.

God, give me a late 60s VW van and a basic tool kit and I would die happy. I can drop the engine of a VW by myself using simple drive up ramps for the rear end and a scissors jack.

Every time I see a old VW van or bug  I cry.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

God, give me a late 60s VW van and a basic tool kit and I would die happy. I can drop the engine of a VW by myself using simple drive up ramps for the rear end and a scissors jack.

Amen, brother!

My dad was a mechanic and car electrician, and he could dismantle a car like the VW van with such an easiness that it was a true joy to watch him perform it.

I remember there were several occasions when he had to change a car's engine's and me helping him do it, using basic tools and a wheeled palango.

Good old days.