C-46 in military service

Here's some shots of a C-46 we had make a emergency landing at our base.  It needed a new engine and sat for some time until a replacement finally showed up and they left.

scan0043-4.jpg
scan0217.jpg
scan0423.jpg
scan0422.jpg
scan0421.jpg
scan0034.jpg

They posted a guard from our Air Base Defense sectionwith orders to shoot anyone trying toi access the aircraft vwithout permission of the crew.

3 minutes ago, Drifterdon said:

Air America?

Aircraft was registered in Laos. Did Air America have non US registered aircraft. I would  assume it was a much more shadowy arm of the CIA (or some other equally shadowy group) that flew this one. 

sean

Never found out for sure who they were.  Somebody got posted each shift, each one informed that anybody approaching the aircraft with out a member of the crew was to be shot.  We were not to go around asking questions.  One day I took my jeep to that end of the base and we found out it had left during the night.  We never saw it again.

All us skycops assumed it was the CIA and we left it alone and kept quiet and as far away as possible.  The CIA had a reputation back then that made most people avoid them if possible. Was it deserved? we didn't know of care to ask.

• 1 year later...

The aircraft is not Air America, but C-46R XW-PHN was registered to Continental Air Services, which did basically a lot of the same stuff Air America did in the region, just under the banner of Continental Airlines. Still had lots of connections to the CIA.

They had quite the interesting array of aircraft as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Air_Services,_Inc

Edited by Orion Field
  • 9 months later...