The AIM-7M has a single conduit running almost the entire length of the missile.  The AIM-7E had a conduit on the aft half of the missile plus two shorter ones on the forward portion.  AIM-7E pictures are from the walkaround section here on ARC.

Regards,

Murph

UvXxK4h.jpg

gsFB7H5.jpg

ZG0fRii.jpg

3 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Just checking to see if I've got this right....in 1/72, if I needed a decent AIM-7E, could I just use one of Hasegawa's 7M's and shorten the conduit?  Or, what else am I missing?  

Not sure about the physical aspect but if you are replicating the “dogfight” version of the E (E-2 possibly?), they had unique markings on the forward control surfaces. 

4 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Thanks folks, much appreciated!

John, it'd be for an F-4D at Udorn, Thailand (Vietnam war of course), in about 1971.  So I'm guessing the E-2.  What were the unique markings?

l_32-028f.jpg

On 7/28/2020 at 8:27 AM, Finn said:

Also the M has 4 target detectors, the brown stripe between the radome and yellow stripe in the first pic. A few E pics here:

https://lastcow.smugmug.com/Military/J-Bemiss-USAF-Photos/

and here:

https://366th-tfw.net/bruce-hill_photos4.htm

Jari

Thanks Jari. Just to remind that I had this file a long time. I live in Thailand for 6 years now. I've been close to Udon, but never got to stay and watch what is left of this. But speaking for scenery in common, not much has changed. The pink bus is still driving around. Such a great link this.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

1 hour ago, Murph said:

BTW, the AIM-7M had the blunter Von Karman radome, but I don't think the various kit makers have ever noticed that.

Regards,

Murph

Actually the Revell-Monogram 1/32 scale kit has some nice AIM-7 F/M with the correct radome.

Scout

22 hours ago, SCOUT712 said:

Actually the Revell-Monogram 1/32 scale kit has some nice AIM-7 F/M with the correct radome.

Scout

The Von Karman radome was introduced during the AIM-7F production run, so some had it, some didn't.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

The Zoukei-Mura 1:48 Phantoms gives you four sets of sprues with missiles, and two sprues have bodies and fins for what appears to be AIM-7Ms.  The nose cone is a noticeably more blunt than the AIM-7Es.