Best 1/48 A-37/T-37: Monogram or Trumpeter?

Monogram.

to make a T-37 you will have to:

add a bulge in front of the intakes

find make flat main gear doors

remove the gun and the camera in the nose

fill in areas where the intake screens go.

fill in the pylon slots

build wing tips.

also the T-37 doesn't have the large trust deflectors

That's the basics. For extra credit you can:

fix the belly the engines on the T-37 and not as deep as the A-37

and the main wheels are thinner .

That's all I can think of off the top of my head when I did my conversion. Alot of this, if not all would apply to the Trumpeter kit.

11 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

There must be someone out there with two fuselage sprues and no wing sprues. Hope you can find 'em!☺️

Errrrr,  This is what I get for drawing airplanes in English class in school. Plus I'm a bit LD.

A question on kit history...

Was the Monogram A-37 a rework of the Aurora T-37 (not sure why they'd do that with all the necessary changes)?

How about the even older Strombecker kit...different tooling than the Aurora? It's so old, I've never seen one in the flesh.

Anyone know if the Aurora tooling, if not reworked for the A-37, survives, if so any chance it was sold to Atlantis?

5 hours ago, Vince Maddux said:

Me too, But I also love the T-37/A-37 and the Monogram kit

I'm crazy enough to wish I could still get an Aurora example...a nice basic kit, good enough for a desk model (in other words something without $30 worth of resin or photoetched  accessories and a $20 decal set). 🙂

Come to think of it, I have something similar, a 1/40 scale (10" wingspan) Topping desk model I got back in the '70s from the Williams AFB, BX.

I almost had a chance to do a media flight in one out of Laughlin in 2004, but the Air Force wanted to highlight the new T-6. Fair enough. At that time the base was half Cessnas, half-Beech.

• 3 weeks later...

My Monogram 1:48 A-37B Dragonfly kit has arrived.  So far, I am happy with the base kit. Does anyone have good 1:48 scale drawings for the T-37? Specifically for the wingtips, nose, engine inlet and exhaust and cockpit? I read a review of the Squadron T-37/A-37 Dragonfly in Action book that said it was not much help to the modeler.  I have downloaded a  couple of simple three view drawings.  Not much else out there. Any help is truly appreciated. 

K/r,  Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

My Monogram 1:48 A-37B Dragonfly kit has arrived.  So far, I am happy with the base kit. Does anyone have good 1:48 scale drawings for the T-37? Specifically for the wingtips, nose, engine inlet and exhaust and cockpit? I read a review of the Squadron T-37/A-37 Dragonfly in Action book that said it was not much help to the modeler.  I have downloaded a  couple of simple three view drawings.  Not much else out there. Any help is truly appreciated. 

K/r,  Dutch 

I have a scan of a sheet I got from Cessna many years ago to do what you’re planning. I never had a chance to have a go at it. The drawing has sectional shapes of the fuselage and I think the wing tips. The most difficult work will be on the underside of the fuselage (basically everything between the main gear struts is different ) and around the intakes. Next time I go by my computer, I’ll put them up on Dropbox and post a link. 

Ben

EDIT: Here you go!  LINK

Edited by Ben Brown
On 7/28/2020 at 11:44 PM, Paul Boyer said:

There must be someone out there with two fuselage sprues and no wing sprues. Hope you can find 'em!☺️

Awhile back I grabbed an LRDG truck off the shelf. Noticed the box felt heavy and seemed to really be stuffed before opening it (factory sealed). In it were all the parts to build three trucks minus the back half (bed, etc). There were enough tires to do four or five kits! Going to try to get Tamiya to sell me the needed sprus (six altogether). That kit was an original boxing (first issue), and figure somebody just filled it with left over parts laying around

gary

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

I have a scan of a sheet I got from Cessna many years ago to do what you’re planning. I never had a chance to have a go at it. The drawing has sectional shapes of the fuselage and I think the wing tips. The most difficult work will be on the underside of the fuselage (basically everything between the main gear struts is different ) and around the intakes. Next time I go by my computer, I’ll put them up on Dropbox and post a link. 

Ben

EDIT: Here you go!  LINK

Thank you  Ben, that's perfect! K/r,  Dutch