Best 1/48 T-38 Talon: Sword / Trumpeter / Wolpack?

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

So, I was wondering, what is the best value kit for a 1/48 T-38 Talon: Sword / Trumpeter / Wolpack?

K/r, Dutch

Hey Dutch,

Its no contest.... Wolfpack! HTH, Fred.

I have, but have yet to build, several of the Wolfpack kits, and they look great! After reading a number of build reviews it would seem that they are relatively trouble free builds. I have built two of the Sword kits, and they weren't too bad either. The main thing with them is the "hump" right in front of the windscreen. The kit has it, but its not on the T-38. Its only on the F-5B. The kits wheels are also for an F-5B and completely inaccurate for a T-38. I have never had the Trumpeter T-38, but have read several build articles, and I don't know.... the shape of the nose and canopy just looks off to me. The choice is yours Dutch, but for me, there is no contest as to which one to buy ;0) Fred.

rsz_1rsz_dsc_2921.jpg

Edited by f5guy

Wolfpack plus Hypersonic wheels. The late style wheels came along around the mid to late 80s I think. Solid or spoked nose wheels are both appropriate for all periods. Pre 1977 ejection seats don’t have the drogue chute container headrest if you're doing a jet from earlier times.

To F5guy..

I crewed T-38's at Williams AFB many moons ago. There is a distinct hump in front of the windscreen. It was also on the F-5B. The Wolfpack kit is about as authentic a T-38 kit can be.

Just FYI... All Wolfpack T-38 kits have the AT parts in the box. They just ignored the parts in the instructions. Look carefully and you'll find them. (Even in the new 'C' release. Which can be made into an 'A' if you want...)

Hope this helps. 

Via Con Dios

DET1460

I have built all 3.  In the end they look like T-38s.  If you require more detail then you will like the wolfpack kit better.  The trumpeter kit has dimension problems from reading about it  i did not measure it. Main difference to me is the panel lines. 

Geoff M

One more vote for the Wolfpack kit. It was a fun build. As previously mentioned, you’ll need Hypersonic’s wheels to replace the kit’s F-5 wheels. Resin seats are a nice upgrade, too. I found the fit of the canopies to be a little tricky when having them opened. If memory serves, the kit is missing the clear windscreen on the back-seater’s instrument panel. Easily fixed with some clear plastic.

Trumpeter made the canopy wrong. They used the cheat line as the start of the canopy instead of the start of the glass.

Their kits have the chopped look with a very shallow canopy.  it's a a very noticeable difference if you build it with the canopy down.

Edited by pookie

So, looking around the web, I can find plenty of options for both Trumpeter and Wolfpack. The cheapest option is Trumpy kit at $23 + $5-10 shipping depending on how many other kits I purchase.  Cheapest WP kit is ~$43 with shipping.  I am wary of trying to purchase another kit from S. Korea vie eBay, as the last two times my Academy F-4B/N has been canceled.  I am still leaning towards the WP kit, especially after the last two comments.  Thanks for all the help.  K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

Try SprueBros for the Wolfpack kit. Got a few from them at $31.00.  Get the cheapest one (they're all the same...) and Caracal and others have outstanding decals for these acft.

The only fit problem is very minor and an easy fix. The students (front) instrument panel mounts too high. I found by cutting down the sides of the panel and the center where it mounts to the floor worked for me. Trial and error. Cut a little... then fit. Repeat as necessary. Doesn't take long...

Hope this helps.

DET1460

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 8:35 PM, DET1460 said:

Try SprueBros for the Wolfpack kit. Got a few from them at $31.00.  Get the cheapest one (they're all the same...) and Caracal and others have outstanding decals for these acft.

The only fit problem is very minor and an easy fix. The students (front) instrument panel mounts too high. I found by cutting down the sides of the panel and the center where it mounts to the floor worked for me. Trial and error. Cut a little... then fit. Repeat as necessary. Doesn't take long...

Hope this helps.

DET1460

I did just that!  It arrived last week Friday.  Pretty impressive kit.  Thanks for all the help.  K/r, Dutch