Discovering What Kind of Modeler You Are

So I think I am like a lot of people who built models as a kid then coming back to it in adulthood.  I'm 46 and got a couple kits to do with my son and then found all the YouTube model channels and got the itch.  I actually had been watching videos for almost a year before I started pulling the trigger on a couple kits and supplies.  It's funny how far you come from first impressions until you start to find out what kind of modeler you are.  I think you actually have to discover it, you don't really decide.  Here are my examples:

Then:

-what's a stash?  OMG, what are those stacks and stacks of kits behind those guys in the videos?  What?  They have like 3 copies of the same kit back there?!!?!?

-strip the paint and start over?  What?!?!?  Why would you ever do that?  Crazy people...

-more than one airbrush?  I don't think so...

-fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand...  that looks boring...

-rescribe?!?!??!  Run away! Run far away...

Now

-no stash, but an organized list of my next 40 builds mapped to the version, aftermarket decals, aftermarket parts, and manufacturer/kit

-just finished with the Windex this morning because I tried to use masks for the both the light and dark parts of an F-15 camo and there was a tiny line between the colors..I was going to leave it, after all it was my first kit and I am just a basic beginner with my AB, but then it gnawed at me for a couple days and I couldn't take it anymore so there was no choice!

-I should never have even entertained this notion.  I am a gear geek (hockey equipment, shooting, whatever).  I absolutely have a prioritized list of my next 3-4 ABs

-I actually love this part, it's relaxing and satisfying to have that seam disappear into perfect smoothness

-I was right, I hate rescribing.

So I now understand why people model to the standards they do.  It's the standard that makes you happy and helps you enjoy the hobby and that standard is your own.  I just found it interesting that what I thought was going to be my standard turned out a bit different in the end.

Great post! And great to have you here with us. I'm one that never actually got out of modeling. I've been going straight through since I was 5 and I'm now 50. However, I've seen my modeling views change. In the middle, during adulthood, I pushed myself to build perfect, accurate models. I tried new techniques, I added every aftermarket part available, and I was known to buy a $20 decal sheet just for one small decal to make my project as accurate as possible. And then something happened about ten years ago. I was giving a seminar on US Navy ID markings at the IPMS Nats. I wanted to have 3D examples, so I decided to relive my childhood and build all of the Monogram 1/48 Navy models OOB, only with better skills this time around. The funny thing was that I had more fun doing that than trying to get the perfect model. It was then that it hit me like a ton of bricks that I wasn't haven't fun doing it the way I had been earlier. So from then on I decided to build what I wanted, not to sweat the small stuff (I didn't get the seam that no one can see perfect? Oh well!), and stop entering contests. I've been enjoying building exponentially more since then. Is that to say everyone should do it? Nope. Everyone gets enjoyment out of it their own way. I would recommend, though, that if you have AMS and are stuck in a rut, pick out something simple and build it in a weekend. You'll find a new joy to building.

30 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

What?  They have like 3 copies of the same kit back there?

As it happens, there is a rational explanation and legitimate reason - for some people  😄  If you are building 1/72 scale tanks for miniatures gaming then you do need 4 or 5 of each, at least, to represent the tank platoons.

(And if you are a model railroader building a unit train you may need 40 of the same car kit)

(me? I stopped at 18 cars)

4 hours ago, southwestforests said:

As it happens, there is a rational explanation and legitimate reason - for some people  😄  If you are building 1/72 scale tanks for miniatures gaming then you do need 4 or 5 of each, at least, to represent the tank platoons.

(And if you are a model railroader building a unit train you may need 40 of the same car kit)

(me? I stopped at 18 cars)

Then there's the "wow, that's a rare, OOP but very good kit. I already have one, but I should snatch it up while I can". Rinse and repeat X times and not just for kits. It is even more applicable to aftermarket. I will run across rare OOP aftermarket parts and think "Oh my, I may need that someday to build a the [insert version] of the [insert aircraft name] made by [insert kit manufacturer]".

These are only a few of the many excuses we modelers come up with to justify our desire to have as much modeling "stuff" as possible. He who dies with the most "stuff" wins!

I Find I am like Darren, why sweat the small stuff?

Here is the point, there are over 400 completed models in my basement. The only people who see them are customers, a very few friends and the cat.

There are 128 (of 211) Phantoms down there. Who the hell is going to look in a 1/48 cockpit on the 3rd cabinet, second shelf from the bottom to make sure I have a Mk7 ejection seat as opposed to a Mk5? Who can tell the difference in 1/48??.

Besides my eyes are not getting better with age. I have stopped getting after market (apart from seats and decals). Too time consuming and far too much money. I like the planes I build. Also build for others , sometimes planes I could give a rats arse less about. But, that keeps me honest and teaches me stuff. Always try to do well, but I am not going to have a conniption just to make sure the gear linkage under the airframe which no one will ever see is exactly right.

Sometimes the paint colours are a tad from FS#s. Find me a navy plane on the deck of a carrier for 6 months with fresh from the paint shop spec finish.

Also, I find if I spend too much time on a model I screw it up. Enjoy the hobby. Your choices change. I too have a stash. Most I want to build. Some I lost interest in. Anyone want to buy a couple Tomcats?

Edited by phantom

heheh,

this is my third modelling start.  I'm almost 49...or 50.  I have to check.

I'm pontificating on this same topic you mentioned.  I said to myself yesterday:  "Self!,  you are a wham bam weekend warrior builder"  

and only now I see my time invested in a build going through the roof. (in a good way)... it is still the Thrill of the Build but I'm still a novice and getting the exterior looking good is my current goal..  there's so much more details, accessories, tools, resin, PE, masks and the internet! now a days that I have much to learn.

The higher skilled members here are impressive in their build details.  Almost to the point of discouragement sometimes. heheh, "Holy crap look at that! I can't build a better model"...  I must admit that thought has crossed my mind when admiring other's builds.

So gear up! close all the doors and access panels, paint the insides of the canopies black and work on that exterior!  nah, jk...I'm gonna do the insides too...  🙂

LOL!  Wait until you discover that one of those kits on your list is no longer made. You’ll search high and low to buy it now.  Wait until you discover that a lot of aftermarket from resin conversions to decals are very limited production and you have to start stocking up because one day you will need that.  

This leads to a slippery slope because the new XXXX kit comes out and you will want to build it one day, but if you wait until it’s time to order the kit, you might not find that box anymore or wind up paying 3X as much for it. 

Cottage industry stuff comes and goes.  Just look at Fisher Model and Pattern that lost everything in the Camp fire a few years back. Finding G-Factor landing gear is like panning for gold.  Zacto Models had to drop one of his highest and most sought after corrections due to supply issues.  Look at the Wolfpack conversions.  Very limited production and then gone.  Phantom KAI conversion is bringing insane money now.   Just last week I walked my son through my stash and pointed out a few of these things so his mother just doesn’t toss it all on the curb if I kick the bucket first.   I held up one small box with probably 20+ sets of G-Factor and other brass gear sets.  He could not believe that small box was worth over $600 alone. 

......And this is how hoards, excuse me, stashes are established.  

EDIT: Like you said, I got back into building models at 35ish after a 20 year hiatus. I’m 57 now and cannot wait until retirement to work on the stash.   

Edited by Scott Smith

this is what I've learned after my 10 year vacation!

I've learned BUY NOW! for all detail sets, kits, PE, decals... because they will be unobtanium later...just like I'm suffering from now with specific partial builds.

you have to strike while the product is in stock.  I shoulda kept up but didn't.

HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST MODELLING STUFF WINS.

this is the way.

well said.

🙂

eta:  Hey I just googled my birthday and I am 48! not 49....  this crappy day got brighter.

pss:  check out my helicopter stash by viewing my profile/ about me tab! ; I just inventoried my collection I purchased years ago and also made some "catch-up" purchases for a few hundred expensive dollars which I haven't added until they arrive.  China just cancelled my CH-47d order for some reason.  😞  oh well...the 47A is still on order.

Edited by Bounce
7 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

I’m 57 now and cannot wait until retirement to work on the stash.  

One thing my friend. Best laid plans... Things don't always work out how one would like. I worked in nursing homes too long to not learn the lesson so many of my patients passed on to me. Do not wait. Life has a nasty habit of dealing unfair hands. If you want to build models, do as much as you can now. Fate makes no promises and has no sympathy. So many of my patients scrimped and saved, waiting for the day they could retire and do the things they always wanted to. Instead, they ended up in a wheelchair in a nursing home where I took care of them.

I turn 67 this month and my health is not cooperating with my retirement plans. It started tripping up my plans about 10 years ago. I gave up modeling for a number of years. Just couldn't do it. Then I got a reprieve and started building again. I told myself (and the old lady) I wouldn't buy too many kits. Needless to say that didn't hold. And, now that I have a nice stash built back up, with tons of aftermarket. Lots of decals. Rack upon rack of paints. Wonderful tools I never would have dreamed of years ago. Now that I have all this, fate has conspired against me. I am hoping my setback is temporary, but I am not get any younger. Fortunately, though I have left the hobby a number of times, I always came back. I built as much as I could without letting it take away from the other joys of life.

So remember this, life is short and this hobby oh so long to learn.

Do NOT wait. Enjoy this wonderful hobby as much as you can now, for tomorrow never comes.

Sorry, didn't mean to put a damper of things. Just felt it needed saying.

P.S. While I have decent stash, I know I won't "win". :thumbsup:

Edited by Mstor

Mstor, those are words of wisdom.  I’m currently eligible for retirement, and there might be a plan in the works for a buy out due to cutbacks  where I can pull the ripcord financially.  
I just got word last week an old coworker that retired about 7 years ago went home with his brother for hospice care due to cancer.   Your words are ringing true with me right now. 

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

He who dies..... is dead.  No win in that. 

Wait a minute while I check something. No, I'm pretty sure now. Habu2, that's not funny. Are you OK?  Man, I count on you for the short and sweet. Are you actually being, dare I say, serious?

My God, what have things come to? 

:whistle::thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

One thing my friend. Best laid plans... Things don't always work out how one would like. I worked in nursing homes too long to not learn the lesson so many of my patients passed on to me. Do not wait. Life has a nasty habit of dealing unfair hands. If you want to build models, do as much as you can now. Fate makes no promises and has no sympathy. So many of my patients scrimped and saved, waiting for the day they could retire and do the things they always wanted to. Instead, they ended up in a wheelchair in a nursing home where I took care of them.

I turn 67 this month and my health is not cooperating with my retirement plans. It started tripping up my plans about 10 years ago. I gave up modeling for a number of years. Just couldn't do it. Then I got a reprieve and started building again. I told myself (and the old lady) I wouldn't buy too many kits. Needless to say that didn't hold. And, now that I have a nice stash built back up, with tons of aftermarket. Lots of decals. Rack upon rack of paints. Wonderful tools I never would have dreamed of years ago. Now that I have all this, fate has conspired against me. I am hoping my setback is temporary, but I am not get any younger. Fortunately, though I have left the hobby a number of times, I always came back. I built as much as I could without letting it take away from the other joys of life.

So remember this, life is short and this hobby oh so long to learn.

Do NOT wait. Enjoy this wonderful hobby as much as you can now, for tomorrow never comes.

Sorry, didn't mean to put a damper of things. Just felt it needed saying.

P.S. While I have decent stash, I know I won't "win". :thumbsup:

Your comments aren't a damper. They are a reminder that each day is a gift that we've been given, even if it doesn't feel like it. 

7 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

Mstor, those are words of wisdom.  I’m currently eligible for retirement, and there might be a plan in the works for a buy out due to cutbacks  where I can pull the ripcord financially.  
I just got word last week an old coworker that retired about 7 years ago went home with his brother for hospice care due to cancer.   Your words are ringing true with me right now. 

I'm an elementary school teacher and we had a music teacher who recently retired. Less than a year into retirement, she had an aneurysm and died. With that said, statistically that probably won't happen, but there aren't any guarantees, so enjoy each day you have.

Well, if I do end up stockpiling kits/AM/decals, I better get more organized than I am currently!  At this point I am building the E-191 F-16 and have no idea where the decals went.  In the same packet were the decals for the Orange Lion.  I think I have weighted wheels somewhere as well.  Probably should build one kit at a time for a while...

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm an elementary school teacher and we had a music teacher who recently retired. Less than a year into retirement, she had an aneurysm and died. With that said, statistically that probably won't happen, but there aren't any guarantees, so enjoy each day you have.

Kind of a Debbie Downer, but yeah, you never know. I have a job were the average death age is 58. High stress, constant battles (literally) divorce rate is the highest in north America as is the suicide rate. Way higher then (regular) police and military. Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be Correctional Officers.

I "get" to retire in less then 3 years. Hopefully I can stick around this side of the dirt for more then 1 year after retirement.

1 hour ago, Bounce said:

I will request a sarcophagus made of burnt model plastic

My plan is to be cremated and then have my ashes put n the nozzle of an F-35 and be blown out over the ocean. Do you think the Navy would go for that? 😄

On 7/30/2020 at 10:37 AM, Darren Roberts said:

My plan is to be cremated and then have my ashes put n the nozzle of an F-35 and be blown out over the ocean. Do you think the Navy would go for that? 😄

...I've heard of Viking funerals, but JEEZ...…. :salute:

I've been building nonstop for over 40 years, and I'm 49 now.  Darren and I are kindred, both elementary teachers (bilingual music for me), within a year in age, both Tomcat fans.

Stash started in late teens as I hit college.  Swelled to about 80.  Tons of decals in a large tub, plus resin and other aftermarket.

Past 4 years, been clearing out, hoping to have no more than maybe 3 incomplete at a time, only to have what I'm working on.  I'm down to only 8 now, with 2 of those nearing completion.  If I get married in the next 1 1/2-2 years, I need to focus on her and on us.  I've built hundreds of projects, competed, etc etc etc.  I need to expand my focus a bit.  

5 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

...I've heard of Viking funerals, but JEEZ...…. :salute:

I've been building nonstop for over 40 years, and I'm 49 now.  Darren and I are kindred, both elementary teachers (bilingual music for me), within a year in age, both Tomcat fans.

Stash started in late teens as I hit college.  Swelled to about 80.  Tons of decals in a large tub, plus resin and other aftermarket.

Past 4 years, been clearing out, hoping to have no more than maybe 3 incomplete at a time, only to have what I'm working on.  I'm down to only 8 now, with 2 of those nearing completion.  If I get married in the next 1 1/2-2 years, I need to focus on her and on us.  I've built hundreds of projects, competed, etc etc etc.  I need to expand my focus a bit.  

👍

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building my stash hopefull I get to build some of it when I retire (or to occuppy myself If I get reduced). In 2015 I could pull 30 kits / year. Now I'm down to 3. Same methods, paints and all. Just my week shrink. Got through two major stash reduction projects with some pretty nice results. Ended up looking for some of the kits I sold 😄.

But yeah. I feel the change from when I was a kid. Actually put together a few kits "like in the old days" for my older boy. It seems I still can build a model in an hour.

But the upped standard in builds I think comes from being older, more precise. With some of our dayjob "flaws" seeping into the hobby. So the completed model isn't just some toy, or a symbol of a dreamjob anymore. It's something that takes time to complete - the exact same time we could invest in family, work, or anything else. 

With all that said, I always was kind of "looks ok to me" kind of modeller. So it's either a different "ok", or a different "me" now.