Discovering What Kind of Modeler You Are

This is a great topic.  I build for fun and stress relief.  I don't build for competition and like @phantom said above 90% of people who see my models, wont know that it's inaccurate because of a few wrong parts.  I think my biggest problem is Modeler ADD or MADD, I'll see a model or aircraft IRL and be like "hey I want to build one of those", I'll go buy the kit and decals if necessary, then tomorrow it's on to something else.  Perfect example yesterday, I watched a USNTPS T-38 taxiout and the back seater had his arms hanging out like Reedoaks recent pilot.  In my mind, hmm i can get a Wolfpack T-38, Reedoaks Pilot and USNTPS decals and I could build one of those.  Who knows what will spark my MADD.... ooohhh look its an F-35....www.spru.....  🙂  

One thing I have learned is I need to have one or two at the most models going at the same time.  I dove into this and ended up with three things going at once, forgot which grey was for which, lost decals, etc.

Also, not to rush.  Being new I am always looking to the next step to try techniques I have been reading about and to see how it is going to look.  Caused some missteps and lessons learned as I wasn't planning things out ahead.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:01 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Great post! And great to have you here with us. I'm one that never actually got out of modeling. I've been going straight through since I was 5 and I'm now 50. However, I've seen my modeling views change. In the middle, during adulthood, I pushed myself to build perfect, accurate models. I tried new techniques, I added every aftermarket part available, and I was known to buy a $20 decal sheet just for one small decal to make my project as accurate as possible. And then something happened about ten years ago. I was giving a seminar on US Navy ID markings at the IPMS Nats. I wanted to have 3D examples, so I decided to relive my childhood and build all of the Monogram 1/48 Navy models OOB, only with better skills this time around. The funny thing was that I had more fun doing that than trying to get the perfect model. It was then that it hit me like a ton of bricks that I wasn't haven't fun doing it the way I had been earlier. So from then on I decided to build what I wanted, not to sweat the small stuff (I didn't get the seam that no one can see perfect? Oh well!), and stop entering contests. I've been enjoying building exponentially more since then. Is that to say everyone should do it? Nope. Everyone gets enjoyment out of it their own way. I would recommend, though, that if you have AMS and are stuck in a rut, pick out something simple and build it in a weekend. You'll find a new joy to building.

Great outlook Darren!  Couldn’t agree with you more on this!

On 7/29/2020 at 12:01 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Great post! And great to have you here with us. I'm one that never actually got out of modeling. I've been going straight through since I was 5 and I'm now 50. However, I've seen my modeling views change. In the middle, during adulthood, I pushed myself to build perfect, accurate models. I tried new techniques, I added every aftermarket part available, and I was known to buy a $20 decal sheet just for one small decal to make my project as accurate as possible. And then something happened about ten years ago. I was giving a seminar on US Navy ID markings at the IPMS Nats. I wanted to have 3D examples, so I decided to relive my childhood and build all of the Monogram 1/48 Navy models OOB, only with better skills this time around. The funny thing was that I had more fun doing that than trying to get the perfect model. It was then that it hit me like a ton of bricks that I wasn't haven't fun doing it the way I had been earlier. So from then on I decided to build what I wanted, not to sweat the small stuff (I didn't get the seam that no one can see perfect? Oh well!), and stop entering contests. I've been enjoying building exponentially more since then. Is that to say everyone should do it? Nope. Everyone gets enjoyment out of it their own way. I would recommend, though, that if you have AMS and are stuck in a rut, pick out something simple and build it in a weekend. You'll find a new joy to building.

Same here, man...aftermarket consists of pretty much a resin ejection seat, unless I'm doing a conversion to a whole different type/model.

I do enter contests but really just to support the club putting it on, picking up an award is humbling but I'm just happy to be there. 

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Same here, man...aftermarket consists of pretty much a resin ejection seat, unless I'm doing a conversion to a whole different type/model.

I do enter contests but really just to support the club putting it on, picking up an award is humbling but I'm just happy to be there. 

Here too!  Great post from Darren too.  I tried out a few resin seats, and they do look great. But at the end of the day when my build is done, it goes in the display case and I never look inside the cockpit again. I love doing the resin conversions though.  When the pandemic started and I was at home I built one of Paul Fisher’s fat faced Skyraider conversions.  Now that was a lot of enjoyment.  I’ve got another to do as well and I’m really looking forward to it.  

On 8/21/2020 at 7:06 AM, eraucubsfan said:

This is a great topic.  I build for fun and stress relief.  I don't build for competition and like @phantom said above 90% of people who see my models, wont know that it's inaccurate because of a few wrong parts.  I think my biggest problem is Modeler ADD or MADD, I'll see a model or aircraft IRL and be like "hey I want to build one of those", I'll go buy the kit and decals if necessary, then tomorrow it's on to something else.  Perfect example yesterday, I watched a USNTPS T-38 taxiout and the back seater had his arms hanging out like Reedoaks recent pilot.  In my mind, hmm i can get a Wolfpack T-38, Reedoaks Pilot and USNTPS decals and I could build one of those.  Who knows what will spark my MADD.... ooohhh look its an F-35....www.spru.....  🙂  

THIS!  I don't know how many times I've seen a real cool camo scheme and immediately had to get the model, find decals, aftermarket, paints, etc., etc. And then it goes into the stash where it waits. This happens over and over. Often it is a new decal set that comes out that allows me to do a scheme I have always wanted to. Into the stash it goes.

I have finally put a stop to it all and haven't bought any modeling stuff for months. Problem is I haven't been able to do any modeling work due to health problems. I am beginning to think my modeling days are over. If things don't improve, I'll soon start selling off the stash. Oh well. Had a good run.

fear not good Sir,  your modelling days may be diminished but never over.  I fear the same as my eyes and hands don't have the same steadiness as my 13 year old self.

In my mid-forties I'm one of those modellers who want to build as many as they can (since they have a stock) but, some health issues prevent them from doing so. AND that's what happens if you don't take good care of your health when you're young!

As. for my approach/process on building models, I don't think it has changed that much. I'm still treating each area (aircrafts mainly) as a model of itself in order to create a homogenised look of the finished model. And this after taking the decision to ignore the majority of the new aftermarket sets that take (in my opinion) the skills required to build a model from a modeller.

It's like the hours somebody spends watching youtube videos of how other modellers build their kits instead of investing those hours in working on his models and therefore finish more from his stash (this includes me).

For some reason (unknown!), lately I have the tendency to search for old model kits like for instance, Monogram's F-111, mainly for the "crispness" of details these kits still have.

As for the "finishing touch" on my models, well, my goal has always been to make a "correct" representation of the actual aircraft and this covers the markings (on the whole) as well as, the external details and paint/weathering present on an operational aircraft.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:06 AM, eraucubsfan said:

I feel your pain. 😔