'Better' Buy (Budget Constraint)

Scalemates.com has instructions available for most models, hop over there and look? It could give you an indication what is in the boxes, and probably has a review video or 2... I don't have either so can't really be of help...

For Academy/Eduard Su 27,  replacement c-pit is necesary...  if you get in Eduard ofering PE set for seats and c-pit and you are ok with PE look of it?, or buy resin one from aires ( 20€) + exhausts (20€) and if you are sattisfied with look of HB c-pit.  for me ,if I was on your place try to get Academy Su-27 for resonably cheap price and invest in Aires c-pit ( total let say 50€) ...it is catch 22.... 

I recommend Hobby Boss. Academy plastic is old. Eduard has added lots of photo etch and resin, but there are fundamental issues with the plastic (short overall length, shape issues). Hobby boss is quite satisfactory in terms of surface detail and build ability. I have not ready anything atrociously bad about HB shape, except for the main gear wells. 

Save up your money and buy the GWH Su-27 when it is released. It will be light years ahead of both the Academy and Hobby Boss kits.

Edited by Mstor

IIRC, the nose was usually replaced with aftermarket in case of Academy Su-27 (though, it's not absolutely necessary I guess). The whole kit had some dimensional issues as it ended up 1.6 cm too short.

But, the weapons in the original kit are horrible (especially the R-27 missiles). The updated boxing (e.g. in Eduard kit or the Academy Su-30) comes with new Kh-31, R-77 and R-73 missiles at least.

Edited by ijozic
11 hours ago, Mstor said:

Save up your money and buy the GWH Su-27 when it is released. I will be light years ahead of both the Academy and Hobby Boss kits

I'm guessing you didn't bother to read the OP. That wasn't the question.

John

13 hours ago, jgrease said:

I'm guessing you didn't bother to read the OP. That wasn't the question.

John

I did read it. Just thought a third option would be good to consider. The OP didn't say he couldn't or wouldn't consider any but those two. Plus, frankly, neither of the two the OP asked about are very good. Especially when compared to a GWH Su-27. If the OP doesn't want to consider my advice he can ignore it or tell me to bug off. In any case, it ain't up to you.

11 hours ago, Tapchan said:

OP want some budget kit and you tell him to save and buy probably one of the most expensive 1/48th jets on the market 🙂 

I guess you have all decided what the OP will and will not consider for him. That's fine. I'll not say more about it.

OP already have some posts in Su-27UB GWH topic so we may assume he is already aware that there will be such kit. 

On 2/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, flybywire said:

Same reasons as Mstor, it's also my personal preference to build single-seaters, one cockpit is good enough for me, don't wanna double my workload. 😁  Unless of course there is no single-seater for that particular jet like the F-14. Also, never considered double-seater much better looking than single-seater.

Edited by Tapchan
On 7/30/2020 at 11:16 PM, Mstor said:

Save up your money and buy the GWH Su-27 when it is released. It will be light years ahead of both the Academy and Hobby Boss kits.

I see people are piling on you but there is nothing wrong with your suggestion. 

3 hours ago, Janissary said:

I see people are piling on you but there is nothing wrong with your suggestion. 

Thanks. Actually I've been thinking about the actual costs involved with the kits flybywire asked about. The Eduard boxing of the Su-27 is not cheap. Hard to find at less than $100. The Hobby Boss Su-27 goes for around $60 and up. When GWH released their Su-35, I paid $64 (preorder) from Hobbyeasy. Came out to be about $78 with shipping to the USA (small packet air mail with tracking). So, all in all, if the GWH's Su-27 single seater follows suit, it should be no more expensive than the Hobby Boss and light years ahead of both kits as far as detail and accuracy.

The down side is having to wait for GWH to release the single seat version.

P.S. Here's a review of the problems with the Hobby Boss Su-27:

https://brexitmodeller.com/forums/topic/1448-hobbyboss-su-27-critique/

Edited by Mstor

Oh, you want to know which of these two kits is better? Well don’t get either one and save your pennies for a future release. But I’m wrong for pointing that out. Smh. Everyone’s a tough guy here...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a final input. I have the Academy with a host of aftermarket, including corrected nose, Aires cockpit, Cutting Edge nozzles, Eduard PE, Linden Hill decals and stencils and a resin pitot (if buying new, I would get a brass pitot). Most of these are pretty much required to make an acceptable model: The nose on the original is wrong, the cockpit has very little detail, the nozzles are less than great, and the decals are standard Academy printed ones with their adhesion problems and lack of response to decal solvents. There are no stencils included with the kit decals. The above still doesn't fix the underwhelming weapons or slightly underscale length of the Academy kit. You can buy the Eduard boxing, but that one doesn't fix all the problems mentioned above, is difficult to find and very expensive.

If my only choice was between Academy and HobbyBoss, I would choose the HobbyBoss without any doubt. It has much more detail, is generally more accurate, and the various boxings actually come with very nice decal choices.

If GWH is thrown into the mix, I would choose the GWH boxing, which appears to require no aftermarket unless you are very picky. I suspect it will actually work out considerably cheaper than the Academy + all the stuff you need to make a decent model. And you still have to consider how much effort is represented by the additions that I mentioned: Assembling an Aires cockpit takes work and fitting it into the kit requires some hacking (although not as much as with some resin replacement cockpits). Same goes for the added PE and other aftermarket.

If you are truly on a budget and don't really care about either details or accuracy, the Academy will be the cheapest of all the options. However, at the very least I would still add aftermarket decals as I have had very bad experiences with Academy printed decals in the past - in which case you have probably already exceeded the price of the HobbyBoss kit. It is very difficult for me to see any scenario where the Academy is still a good buy.

While I have a soft spot for Academy kits, I'd go with Hobby Boss. I've not built either Su-27s but from what I've seen Academy is probably ging to be challenging build - even without all the aftermarket - while the Hobby Boss will be much easier.

Judging from pics of completed kits, Academy nose and canopy (on the singe seaters) look just weird. To me it would come down to exact pricing (in my neck of the woods Academy Flankers are not that much cheaper than Hobby Boss), what You'd want with the kit - is it going to be another one on the shelf, or You'd want as much accuracy as possible.

I'm guilty of choosing the "worse" kit just because it had a good price (HB F/A-18C comes to mind).

7 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I thought Zvezda was going to release a 1/48th scale SU27 in the near future. If it's anything like their 1/72 scale kit, it's the way to go by a wide margin.

gary

Do you have a reference for this? The two upcoming Zvezda 1/48th releases that I am aware of are the Il-2 and the Su-57, but I cannot remember seeing anything about a Su-27.

20 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Do you have a reference for this? The two upcoming Zvezda 1/48th releases that I am aware of are the Il-2 and the Su-57, but I cannot remember seeing anything about a Su-27.

I just remember a list of new kits posted on here, but I may have mistaken the SU57 for the SU27

gary