My ipms club is doing a hiviz/international rescue group build and I thinking of using my Profiline MD-500 or Academy plus CMK set that I have on hand to make a OH-6D bird like so

OH-6D_(13807030845).jpg

Does anyone know what Tamiya or Vallejo colors would be best to use or have a better suggestion on something for the group build using the Little Bird. I have the Revell kit if I need an earlier tail bird.

TIA

Edited by Tank

I'm looking forward to a Magnum PI Island Hopper build in my future..... have you done one yet?

that bird you posted looks sunburnt...oxidized paint

I'm interested too in hi-vis color Orange... I need to get some for trumpeter coast guard dolphin helo.  

good luck on your decision!

1 hour ago, Bounce said:

I'm interested too in hi-vis color Orange... I need to get some for trumpeter coast guard dolphin helo.

The color on USCG MH-65s isn't actually orange.  It is called Tangerine and is really a red color, on the more orange side of the spectrum though.  The best model color for it is Testors Model Master Chevy Engine Red.

This post has lots of info on USCG colors, but read it fully as the one quoting CG Bob isn't totally correct for current colors:  

Edited by HeavyArty
49 minutes ago, Bounce said:

I'm looking forward to a Magnum PI Island Hopper build in my future..... have you done one yet?

that bird you posted looks sunburnt...oxidized paint

good luck on your decision!

I have not done TC’s bird but it always on my wish list. Many versions of the 500 where used. http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/The_Chopper.html
For fun I watched season 1 & 2 a few months back. 

There are parts of the bird that look oxidized to me, like the tail above the tail boom area. The Profiline float kit, says gloss medium yellow (mustard color to me), gloss orange (red color to me) and dark red for the lower half of the tail below the tail boom. Was hoping someone know either the FS number so I can convert to Tamiya/Vallejo or paints numbers themselve.

Edited by Tank

I have decided to use Profiline kit 7013 Md500d w/floats. I am using JMSDF icebreaker Shirase markings with the following color choices,

Vallejo Medium Yellow 71.002 and Vallejo Fluorescent Orange 70.733. 

On 7/31/2020 at 7:08 AM, Tank said:

I have not done TC’s bird but it always on my wish list. Many versions of the 500 where used. 

I'm not sure "many vetsions" is quite correct...just Cs and Ds...both with, and without, the emergency pop-out floats.

Remember, in the '80s Revell released their OH-6 with Magnum decals and a good photo of a TV aircraft on the box.

But the boxtop showed a "D" with floats, while the kit itself was a rebox of the OH-6A/civil 500C without floats.

Edited by JohnEB
2 hours ago, Tank said:

The website linked also mentioned the 369d. Some maybe 3 isn’t enough for many versions, can we agree on many configurations? 

The 369 is the official designation of the type. 

It was just marketed  as the Hughes (later MD) 500.

In engineering drawings (and probably FAA paperwork), a 500D would be a called a 369D.

So we are still talking about two models of one basic type since the D shares the Cs Approved Type Certificate.

You are correct, the basic design had many configurations over the years (pointed nose E, updated F, NOTAR, stretched models, etc.) but Magnum used just the C and more often, D.

Anyway, it's all just semantics...I just wanted to offer my two cents worth because I'm into helicopter history (well someone has to be).

BTW...I did a search for the Revell kit and confirmed it's a rebox of their OH-6/500C , and despite the box photo, it doesn't make any effort to look like a D with it without floats.

BTW II: The 269 was the Hughes 300/TH-55.

Edited by JohnEB
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 4:26 PM, JohnEB said:

The 369 is the official designation of the type. 

It was just marketed  as the Hughes (later MD) 500.

In engineering drawings (and probably FAA paperwork), a 500D would be a called a 369D.

So we are still talking about two models of one basic type since the D shares the Cs Approved Type Certificate.

You are correct, the basic design had many configurations over the years (pointed nose E, updated F, NOTAR, stretched models, etc.) but Magnum used just the C and more often, D.

Anyway, it's all just semantics...I just wanted to offer my two cents worth because I'm into helicopter history (well someone has to be).

BTW...I did a search for the Revell kit and confirmed it's a rebox of their OH-6/500C , and despite the box photo, it doesn't make any effort to look like a D with it without floats.

BTW II: The 269 was the Hughes 300/TH-55.

Thanks for the info John. I am definitely not an expect in the little bird family.

I got the paint in. I think the medium yellow can work, the flo orange is wow a bit too much to me for this build. I have awhile before I need to worry about it. The biggest problem is finding time to build.

• 2 months later...