Tamiya X-22 Fogging/Cloudy

I've only completed a couple models since switching to Tamiya X-22 as my go to gloss coat.  I made the switch because of how much thinner the pre-decal gloss was compared to Alclad Aqua Gloss I had been using.  I also found it to be a bit easier to get a reasonable gloss level without drips, and it dries harder making it easier to and out any issues.  However, everything so far was getting a flat coat at the end, so I never bothered trying to get a perfect gloss.

Well, now I'm trying to gloss up my Blue Angels A-4F.  On 99% of the airframe, it looks fantastic.  However, I'm finding areas where the gloss "frosted" or got a little cloudy.  These have always been in corners/recesses where the gloss coat was going to pool a little.  Not to a level that drips, but a bit thicker.  Of course, a lot of my other jets are gray where this wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as a gloss blue.

I'm thinning with Mr. Color Leveling thinner about 35% paint to 65% thinner and use a moisture trap.  I've sprayed a mist coat, let it dry about 5 minutes, and then spray a coat just thick enough to look wet.  I've tried two goes at the final gloss and ran in to this issue in different areas each time.  I've also noticed a few panel lines where it looks like the Gunze FS15050 pulled away from the panel lines.  I think this was new after the gloss coat, but can't be sure.  It is/was a gloss base, and it's one of the things I hate about using gloss color paints. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?  I think the overall gloss looks much better than what I would typically achieve with Alclad Aqua Gloss.  But obviously I'm having some issues as well. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

What pressure are you using?  Maybe go to a very low pressure. Corners are tough because of the turbulent airflow. And outside corners are problematic  as well...they require a light tack coat first, otherwise the gloss coats tend to pull away. Possibly that's what happened around some of your panel lines..

Bob

I'm already down to about 12 PSI and am putting on a light tack coat as well.  I suspecting the clouding is trapped moisture/air somehow, but am not sure where it's coming from. 

As for the panel lines, that's what I assumed as well.  But it seems odd that it would pull away the color from 1 or 2 dried gloss coats over the top of the color.  Which is what's making me think that I may not have caught it on the initial color coat.  I much prefer flat colors for color coats.  They coat much better and it's easier to see defects/missed areas.  The glare of the gloss can hide some imperfections. 

Have you tried misting on a coat of just Mr Color Leveling thinner? I do this regularly as a last step in spraying X-22. It "re-melts" the gloss coat just enough to get it to settle down smoothly. Don't know if it will help in your case, but I would think it worth a try.

On 8/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, trietmcam said:

Not sure how bad the fog is, but if you buff it out with Tamiya polishing compound, it may restore the gloss. 

Triet

Unfortunately it doesn’t seems to be much of a surface issue. More in the paint. I touched up the couple areas and then sprayed a new coat roughly 50/50 thinner and it seems much better.  This seems to have faired well. 

Edited by ESzczesniak