S-3 Viking Loadout, Late 80's

Gents,

Thinking of building a Viking from VS-31 on the Ike in '87. I'm able to cobble together the markings from a couple of sheets I have in the stash. Just wondering what, if anything, they would be carrying on the pylons during this timeframe. As usual, appreciate any input from those that know/have been there, saw that!!

Thanks,

-Gabe

Droptanks x 2

or

Drop tank and a TER with MK-82 or MK-20 ROCKEYE. 

or

Destructor/Quickstrike mines

or

MK-50 series mines

Assuming you are doing a S-3A variant since the B hadn’t hit the fleet just yet (VS-31 deployed with S-3B’s in 1990), so no Harpoon (that came with the B series of Viking). 

Lot of info in the ARC forums on the Viking and weapons she carried, just need to search and dig it up. 

Some other Viking folks will be along to throw in their thoughts. 

Cheers

Collin

Collin, 

Outstanding info, exactly what what I was looking for - thank you!!  Follow Q up w/ the drop tank/TER combo - anything specific as to which side the tank/MER went on, or didn't it matter?

Appreciate the insight and appreciate your service!!

-Gabe

'87 eh... That would be an S-3A, so duel drop tanks (no buddy store), or TER's with: Mk-82s, Mk-83s, Mk-20's, Disruptor mines (look like white Mk-82/83's with snake eye fins), or rocket pods. Single point with: Mk-84's or Captor mines.

Retired S-3A/B SENSO here. 😉

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710
8 hours ago, fajah said:

Collin, 

Outstanding info, exactly what what I was looking for - thank you!!  Follow Q up w/ the drop tank/TER combo - anything specific as to which side the tank/MER went on, or didn't it matter?

Appreciate the insight and appreciate your service!!

-Gabe

Drop tank/TER with weapons could be on either side. 

I would say in my biased opinion, drop tank would stay on the left pylon, anything else on the right pylon. 

If we were dropping the big MK-50 series mines, we had range to spare so typically you had a mine on both pylons for a MINEX. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f5bf595729206daa69bbc51c6c98da2f.jpeg

3 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Just curious; why would an anti-submarine aircraft carry bombs?  Were they expecting to bomb submarines on the surface, or did they have a secondary attack role?

Jens

We were so tasked with The Anti-Surface/Anti-Ship/Mine warfare missions as well. Free fall Iron bombs, cluster bombs, rockets, mines were cleared for carry and use against surface targets. We practiced all those mission areas in addition to ASW. 

When the S-3B came along, Harpoon joined the fleet which gave us standoff anti-ship capability. TALD came along as well....and of course the buddy-pod refueling pod, which turned us into one of the primary tankers in the AirWing. 

Which kit/decals you using? 

Cheers

Collin

.. along with the B eventually came the Slam missile, TALDS (decoy/ jammers), and the Maverick as well. We carried just about anything but air-to-air. I have a pic of a left wing station with a Harpoon and a Sidewinder on it, but the Fighter guys had a fit, and we never got it.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

VS-24 flew S-3B's in DS....so...

1.  Drop tank and buddy refueling pod on left wing

2.  Some of their aircraft were involved in bombing attacks with Triple Ejector Racks with MK-82's conical fin/low drag (3 each TER-6 bombs total).

3.  Check link below, did find a pic of a single MK-20 being loaded on the parent rack W6 (right wing pylon).  

Other than the bombing sorties (which were few), Vikings conducted tanker duty and surface search (and picked up the paper-based ATO from the beach).  So in reality a drop tank and buddy store were probably the norm, with MK-82's in the bomb bay.  The MK-20 was a useful weapon for ship attack...so I can see why that is being loaded in that one photo.  TR cruised in DS with Intruders....so the S-3 squadron didn't carry the recovery tanker duty by themselves...so while a lot of Vikings probably flew with the buddy store on the left pylon as an additional hose airborne....it freed up to put munitions on the right pylon (either on the parent rack or a TER).  

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/s-3.html

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/s-3.html

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cvn71-90/405.htm

I'm sure others will be along to add to this....but this should get you started.

Cheers

Collin