Tamiya 1/48 P-47M

HI All,

I'm getting stupid with the number of airplanes I'm starting and doing a little bit on then changing to another plane.  I have been working on the 1/48 Tamiya A6M5/5a Zero, but I'm at the point where I need to paint the engine, and then let it dry thoroughly, as I'm going to use metallic paint, and then do a black wash.  I"m doing a lot of extra detailing, and I need the paint really dry.  SO, while waiting to make progress on that, I've pulled out my Tamiya 1/48 P-47M.

I know I"m just repeating a lot of things that a million modelers have written before me, but I just have to say that while I've just barely begun, I've pieced and taped together the fuselage, and wings, and OH MY GOODNESS...everything that I've heard or read about this kit being spectacular are all TRUE!  The parts go together just by breathing on them, and the detail is just amazing!  I'm working on detailing out the cockpit, and I've got the Eduard cockpit set for this specific airplane, and I know I"m going to be thrilled using the preprinted photo etch on the cockpit details.  And I've finally obtained a bottle of black Stynylrez primer.  I've had some other colors of Stynylrez, but this black stuff seems even more magical.  I'm following much of the detail in Doog's series on this very kit, and will next be painting over the primer in MRP equivalent to Dull Dark Green, then will be picking put the details in paint, then the photo etch.  I can just tell, as long as I don't do anything to mess this up. this airplane is going to be spectacular!!  Just singing its praises.  I thought the new P-38F/G went together like a dream (i've completed most of the building on that one, just havent' made it to paint yet...), but this P-47M is every bit as dreamy in terms of fit!!  I'm just babbling like a little kid on Christmas morning, but I can't help it.  We are definitely living in the golden age of modeling!!

Edited by Curt B

that's great.  send nudes.  err I mean pics of the model!  🙂

I'd love to see your procedure as I need to step it up a metric shiton to bring the modelling skills up.

1 minute ago, Bounce said:

that's great.  send nudes.  err I mean pics of the model!  🙂

I'd love to see your procedure as I need to step it up a metric shiton to bring the modelling skills up.

I shall do my best!  Do you have this model?  If so, I'd highly recommend the Doog's Modeling 34 part video series (on YouTube).  But I'll also try to post some pictures as I go.

You are most welcome!   Doogs has a number of video series, the most recent on a spectacular 1/32 scale Intruder, and another one a dual Flanker build, but the P-47M is perhaps his best.

Edited by Curt B

Like you, I am addicted to this production line. I have two of their "D" models built, and I have the "M" still in the box with the Eduard cockpit set, and I cannot remember if I have the engine detail kit or not?? It has been a while since I have looked in the box. Haha. But I completely agree with you about this kit. It is a marvel of engineering and detailing all on its own and really can be built straight out of the box without a problem! I think it is Tamiya at their finest!  I have a question for you: What are you using for the non-specular dark blue-black top colour? Is there one available that does not require mixing up your own batch these days? TIA!!  And have FUN with this kit; it is a joy to build!!

On 8/3/2020 at 6:46 PM, Jamie Cheslo said:

Like you, I am addicted to this production line. I have two of their "D" models built, and I have the "M" still in the box with the Eduard cockpit set, and I cannot remember if I have the engine detail kit or not?? It has been a while since I have looked in the box. Haha. But I completely agree with you about this kit. It is a marvel of engineering and detailing all on its own and really can be built straight out of the box without a problem! I think it is Tamiya at their finest!  I have a question for you: What are you using for the non-specular dark blue-black top colour? Is there one available that does not require mixing up your own batch these days? TIA!!  And have FUN with this kit; it is a joy to build!!

Hi Jamie,

Sorry for the long delay in responding to your request.  As you know, the Tamiya instructions include a mixture of Tamiya paints to get the colors they suggest.  This is the case whether you do the solid blue top, or the 2 tone medium/dark blue scheme.  I don't know if you read my other posts in this thread, but if so, you'll note my recommendation to Bounce to watch the extensive series of 34 (I think) videos that Matt/Doog's models did on his build of this kit.  His color recommendations are also mixtures, but his mixtures use MRP lacquer paints, which I happen to think are fantastic paints (no thinning needed, fabulous coverage, etc.), though particularly nasty in terms of smell/vapors.  If you need/want details on these mixtures, let me know.  I'm guessing that if you are REALLY dead set against mixing colors, you could probably use deep sea blue and intermediate blue, colors used on the F6F Hellcat (US Navy colors). Again, let me know and I'll get you details.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Wow, thanks for the great advice, I will have to take a look at those paints you suggest! I actually have no real problem mixing paints to get the "correct" colour. I guess I am a bit lazy, and if there was a route that cuts out a step....lol. I am also going to have to take a good look at those videos you recommend. They sound phenomenal! 

Cheers!