C'mon Tamiya!! A State of the Art 48th scale F-86E Saber

11 hours ago, 11bee said:

32nd scale please.   The current offerings in this scale leave much to be desired.  

Such a beautiful jet, used by so many countries.    I would think a new tool kit would sell nicely.  

I don't do 1/32 anymore, but the F-86 is so beautiful it deserves the full 1/32 treatment that only Tamiya can do.

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

I don't do 1/32 anymore, but the F-86 is so beautiful it deserves the full 1/32 treatment that only Tamiya can do.

You’re missing out buddy, those new 32nd kits from Tamiya are simply amazing!   

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

You’re missing out buddy, those new 32nd kits from Tamiya are simply amazing!   

I know. I did make one of their A6M5's. It was a wonderful kit to build. Used to have the A6M2 kit in my stash. I did one of the older 1/32 kits, an F-4J and, years and years ago, the F-14A. Also had the F-4EJ and F-15J kits in my stash, but had to sell it all. Very sad, but just didn't have room after I moved back to WI. 1/32 is my preferred scale.

nice  1:1 photos, BUT, the OP asked for a E and the narrow chord slatted wing.   The nice photos show a F-86F-40 wing that has already been kitted in all scales.   A proper 'A' released would make kitbashing into a 'E' quite easy as was already mentioned.

Tony

7 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

nice  1:1 photos, BUT, the OP asked for a E and the narrow chord slatted wing.   The nice photos show a F-86F-40 wing that has already been kitted in all scales.   A proper 'A' released would make kitbashing into a 'E' quite easy as was already mentioned.

Tony

I know and agree with him. Just excited I got work on an F-86 of any make.

Mike

17 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

is that Tom Wood's F86? He has two Mustangs, an F86 and a Mig15 that I know of.

gary

Yes that's Paul Woods plane. He has 14 total from what he told me. They are getting ready to take delivery of a Corsair.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

F-86A-5/6/7 is not too difficult a conversion in 1/48, and an XP-86/F-86A-1 would be even easier. My F-86A-7 used Eduard fuselage and Revell F-86D wings. The latter are narrow-chord with separate slats and very well detailed.

i (8).JPG

That is a great looking F-86!   Didn’t know Eduard did an early version.  

Cutting Edge conversion with the Academy kit. Not a bad conversion except for the poor windscreen shape, which I never was able to fix to my liking. We really need a new kit or a decent conversion for an A or early E.

7NE36RD.jpg

I have the Scobi wing conversation in my stash. One of these days I’ll build an E with it. 

Ben

On 8/5/2020 at 2:52 PM, 11bee said:

32nd scale please.   The current offerings in this scale leave much to be desired.  

Such a beautiful jet, used by so many countries.    I would think a new tool kit would sell nicely.  

That would be a good choice. So many paint jobs possible. I think it would sell well. 

Tamiya seems to have pulled back on 1/32 after the Mosquito. The last few were basically updates of earlier kits. They need something universal, like the saber, which would appeal not only to a wide audience, but which serious modelers (and lets face it - Tamiya 1/32 is geared towards serious modelers) might come back to multiple times to get different paint schemes. 

I don't do 1/32 often for the same reason pointed out by @Mstor. But I picked up a Tamiya corsair last year, and might get a few more of "keystone" aircraft (Spitfire, P-51, Zero) and others, if/as they become available.

I think an F-86A in 1/48 would suit most of us, and from what I've seen, I'd like JetMADS to give it a go. It would be right in their remit and something very special. Or maybe other high-end manufacturers like Lukgraph or HpH might branch out into the 'mainstream'?

For now I seem to have interested a European manufacturer in an unkitted F-86 variant so let's see.

17 hours ago, RKic said:

That would be a good choice. So many paint jobs possible. I think it would sell well. 

Tamiya seems to have pulled back on 1/32 after the Mosquito. The last few were basically updates of earlier kits. They need something universal, like the saber, which would appeal not only to a wide audience, but which serious modelers (and lets face it - Tamiya 1/32 is geared towards serious modelers) might come back to multiple times to get different paint schemes. 

I don't do 1/32 often for the same reason pointed out by @Mstor. But I picked up a Tamiya corsair last year, and might get a few more of "keystone" aircraft (Spitfire, P-51, Zero) and others, if/as they become available.

Still hoping Mr T will give us something new in 32nd at some point.   I can't recommend their kit's strongly enough.   I started with Corsair and can't stop.  They are that good.