stealth hawk? old news/old photo stand down...

Has the DoD ever said anything about the apparent stealth Blackhawk lost during the Bin Laden raid?

I've never heard anything. 

So if this were can't photoshop, I'd guess this is it. 

Well kept secret after all these years.

The cuff on the rotors looks a bit like what we saw in the Comanche. I would imagine Sikorsky learned a great deal on stealthy helicopters from that program.

Edited by JohnEB
3 hours ago, JohnEB said:

Has the DoD ever said anything about the apparent stealth Blackhawk lost during the Bin Laden raid?

I've never heard anything. 

So if this were can't photoshop, I'd guess this is it. 

Well kept secret after all these years.

The cuff on the rotors looks a bit like what we saw in the Comanche. I would imagine Sikorsky learned a great deal on stealthy helicopters from that program.

No, that's definitely not it. We'll probably never see the real thing. The 160th did say, that the zero dark thirty helicopters were a pretty good representation of the real thing. So the film's birds are somewhat close at least.

Tim

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but a photo of this aircraft was floating around back when the RAH-66 was being developed. My memory of it was it's not a flyable prototype but a trial fit of proposed parts. A mock up. The line that comes up and across the nose suggests those are fasteners that just hold a nose cap in place. If this was a manufactured for flight change, I believe the nose would appear as a solid unit. The photo might have been in the Army Aviation Digest. Since Boeing and Sikorsky were paired on the Comanche project it seems a likely idea from Sikorsky.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

I think this Blackhawk did fly in that configuration and was deployed during the first Gulf War. The bolt-on kit proved to be a maintenance nightmare so was quickly removed. Very interesting aircraft and only one part of the overall Low RCS rotorcraft testing that has taken place over the last 40 plus years in the USA. 

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver
5 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

I think this Blackhawk did fly in that configuration and was deployed during the first Gulf War. The bolt-on kit proved to be a maintenance nightmare so was quickly removed. Very interesting aircraft and only one part of the overall Low RCS rotorcraft testing that has taken place over the last 40 plus years in the USA. 

LD.

Hmmm..  any sources for this info?  Very interesting.