The Instrument Panel... and paint

For those that use paint to accent details on knobs,gauge bezels, switches,lights,dials,pointers etc...  what's the Pro method?

I just picked up some Gundamgame? paint markers with fine tip to see if they will provide more uniform application to the raised details on cockpit instrumentation.

to date I've used fine brush or the quick and dirty method of large brush to feather over raised details...

115986800_10219806115355871_909646765049

106102328_10219639497630532_506608997988

11895043_10206007087828807_8642109194709

Hi Bounce,

What I do first is paint the basic color of the panel, then paint the instruments. After that, I apply a wash. This helps to tune and "refine" the details. Finally, I use the dry brush technique to bring out all the details that are in relief.

That has been my main method, but ultimately I have started to apply a wash after painting the base colour of the panel. This helps to paint in more detail because it shows you where the boundaries of the reliefs are. It´s more forgiving.

I learned it in this video. It uses a seat as an example, but the method is the same for the instrument panel. 

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Regards,

Tato

Edited by Tato

PRISMACOLOR...i keep a nice metal sharpener near by also...keeping the tip sharp gives a more crisp result.  Just lightly drag the sharpened tip on its side at first...like dry brushing...then you can go in and actually get heavier with the pencil if you want.