MiG-21SM 'Fishbed-J', Azerbaijani Air Force; Eduard 1:72

That is gorgeous! 😍 Looking forward to watching the video later (especially the camo painting bits).

I've used Linden Hill's Azeri MiG-21SM sheet as a reference for my Soviet SM, but plan to build at least one of the Azeri SMs too some day. Lovely weathering.

Regarding the UB-32s, isn't there a special landing gear door with a cut-out on the sprues? I guess it's not called out in the instructions, though.

BTW, the link to Full article and gallery in your blog has an extra [/b] that breaks the link. 😉

13 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

That is gorgeous! 😍 Looking forward to watching the video later (especially the camo painting bits).

I've used Linden Hill's Azeri MiG-21SM sheet as a reference for my Soviet SM, but plan to build at least one of the Azeri SMs too some day. Lovely weathering.

Regarding the UB-32s, isn't there a special landing gear door with a cut-out on the sprues? I guess it's not called out in the instructions, though.

BTW, the link to Full article and gallery in your blog has an extra [/b] that breaks the link. 😉

Thank you, Moritz! Link sorted out!

I have a plan to build several Afghan war veterans in the future, so this Azeri bird was kind of a testing ground and I really like the outcome.
regarding the UB-32s, ha you got me. I used overtrees version and instructions from the very first bunny club members edition release, which had only brassin a2s weapons included. Although I have checked Ed's instructions in pdf on their site, there is no mention of UB-32 or different doors. I am not so familiar with the -21 to know this "mod" but it seems entirely possible.

Watched the videos. Good stuff. :thumbsup: Especially liked the part about painting the camouflage.

How did you do the canopy sealant? Airbrush, paintbrush or decals? I'm currently wondering what to do on my Fishbeds. Leaning towards blank decal sheet painted in an appropriate colour.

On 8/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, Sebastijan said:

<...> regarding the UB-32s, ha you got me. I used overtrees version and instructions from the very first bunny club members edition release, which had only brassin a2s weapons included. Although I have checked Ed's instructions in pdf on their site, there is no mention of UB-32 or different doors. I am not so familiar with the -21 to know this "mod" but it seems entirely possible.

Yes, Eduard's instructions are a bit weird in that regard. The instructions of both the "interceptor" and "fighter-bomber" ProfiPacks don't mention the extra doors. The Royal Class boxing mentions them and gives a hint about using them when attaching UB-32s to the inner pylons. The "Czech service" dual combo kit mentions the parts as optional, but doesn't specify why or when to use them.

Learned about the landing gear doors on a German forum that has several people who worked on MiG-21s in East Germany's NVA. Apparently there's a piece like a cut-out that can be taken off when using UB-32s. Came across that when trying to figure out how the landing gear doors look when closed. When I built my Fishbeds wheels-up there were some gaps that I thought wrong for a Mach 2 fighter. I put it down to Eduard only giving a wheels-down option, but as it turns out, those gaps are perfectly accurate. 

11 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Watched the videos. Good stuff. :thumbsup: Especially liked the part about painting the camouflage.

How did you do the canopy sealant? Airbrush, paintbrush or decals? I'm currently wondering what to do on my Fishbeds. Leaning towards blank decal sheet painted in an appropriate colour.

Yes, Eduard's instructions are a bit weird in that regard. The instructions of both the "interceptor" and "fighter-bomber" ProfiPacks don't mention the extra doors. The Royal Class boxing mentions them and gives a hint about using them when attaching UB-32s to the inner pylons. The "Czech service" dual combo kit mentions the parts as optional, but doesn't specify why or when to use them.

Learned about the landing gear doors on a German forum that has several people who worked on MiG-21s in East Germany's NVA. Apparently there's a piece like a cut-out that can be taken off when using UB-32s. Came across that when trying to figure out how the landing gear doors look when closed. When I built my Fishbeds wheels-up there were some gaps that I thought wrong for a Mach 2 fighter. I put it down to Eduard only giving a wheels-down option, but as it turns out, those gaps are perfectly accurate. 

Glad I could be of use with the vids. I am improving the quality as well with the current build. Filming was a steep learning curve so I'll try to improve as much as I can with the limited resources I have at hand.

Yeah I skipped a few minor things in the vids - I masked the canopy and airbrushed the sealant. But in case you haven't noticed, Begemot released sealant decals in 3 different pink tones in 1:72 and 1:48 just a few days ago. 

Thanks for the info on the UB-32/wheel door thingy. I will certainly remember this if I build any more mudmoving variants 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Sebastijan, Beautiful work. Having seen them up close, you have faithfully captured the look and feel of Azeri MiG-21SMs.  Simply excellent work, especially in 1:72 scale. My hat is off to you sir. Kindest regards,  Dutch

PS [ The only comment I would make is that the cockpit colour is a little "bright." In use, it tended to fade to a slightly lighter shade. Otherwise excellent handiwork and superb exterior painting.]

Edited by Dutch