1/48 Trumpeter A3D-2 Skywarrior WIP Thread

Today’s update has the main fuselage section painted.  As with any subject you are modeling, checking reference photos is always a must.  The Furball instructions show the aircraft in 1964 and depict a semicircular anti glare marking on the nose.  While I don’t dispute this, I have been unable to find a picture of 142664 with this style marking.  Further research shows a variety of black anti-glare markings.

Here’s a VAH sister bird with half the anti-glare marking that has a hard stop at the radome 

QJpw1Dp.jpg

Heres an aircraft with a what I will call a “step down” type marking.

LBeSV0l.jpg

Finally, this bird has a solid black tapered marking

Gv5Y6wZ.jpg

None of this even accounts for the nose tip being white, tan or black.  Additionally, the fin marking can be white, black or grey.  So references are key!  

The Ginter book part 2 shows an aircraft from VAH-11 which in the span of one year had 3 different types of anti-glare markings, and the fin changed from grey to black along the way.  There does not seem to be much reasoning behind this that I have found. That being said, the Squadron In Action book has this image from May 1964, so this is the best reference I have found.  Note, it does not match the instructions.  It shows AB602 with the step down style marking. 

FnIrrY2.jpg

The Ginter book features a nugget of information that when the wings are folded, the LE slats automatically lock into the extended position to prevent damage.  I have therefore painted the appropriate areas red in preparation for the deployed slats.

The kit was preshaded with Tamiya X-1.  I then applied MRP white and MRP FS36440 gull grey overall.  Paper masks were used for a feathered edge.  MRP 36622 was used on the fin and MRP 11136 insignia red for the LE slats.  Finally, everything got a coat of X-22 in preparation for decals and weathering.  

The bottom rudder piece hit the carpet while the gloss was drying, and needs stripped and repainted to remove some fuzz bunnies.

I plan to decal and weather the main fuselage, then with the bulk of the work complete, add on the remaining items.  This will break up the weathering and construction steps.  Mostly, I’ve had my fill of sanding and priming for a while.

pShQX6a.jpg

mncMqOR.jpg

khYmcBU.jpg

BdOZ6S1.jpg

wiS94S3.jpg

DMt1kDY.jpg

RHIFK8u.jpg

JFwAtMt.jpg

HWjFAqN.jpg

jM39cvA.jpg

7gYl8nr.jpg

Edited by lockheed2004
  • 1 year later...
9 hours ago, jgrease said:

This looked to be a great build so far - what ever happened with it?

John

I did some work, missed an update or two then got too far down the road to come back and show more of the in process work.  Before I knew it, she was finished.  I’ll take some additional photos and throw it up in the Critique Corner.  Here are two shots of the finished article, it took 3rd at our local IPMS show.

IM0cUjG.jpg

mMrXRzR.jpg

9 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

I did some work, missed an update or two then got too far down the road to come back and show more of the in process work.  Before I knew it, she was finished.  I’ll take some additional photos and throw it up in the Critique Corner.  Here are two shots of the finished article, it took 3rd at our local IPMS show.

That looks terriffic! I have this kit in my stash but I don't know if I'll get to that standard with it. Thanks for sharing!

John

What an outstanding build.   I've got the EKA version in the stash, along with the awesome Hypersonic engine and canopy correction sets.    Still hoping that Hypersonic does that main landing gear well correction set, at that point, I'll finally start. 

• 2 weeks later...