New 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I from Eduard

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, B-17 guy said:

Is there a way to get that in English that I’m missing? 

how many parts are in the box? Looks like enough for two aircraft. 

Here is the eduard website page for this model. Does say you can build  models. prices at roughly $100usd.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/plastic-kits/limited-edition/aircraft/1-48/the-spitfire-story-1-48.html

Sean

23 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

Here is the eduard website page for this model. Does say you can build  models. prices at roughly $100usd.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/plastic-kits/limited-edition/aircraft/1-48/the-spitfire-story-1-48.html

Sean

It is kind of confusing, I’m not sure they’re saying two different models, as in sub types or two complete kits can be built. I see that there are options for the fuselage, but are there actually enough parts for two complete aircraft is what I’m trying to figure out. 

Yes, you can build two kits from the box, but the markings option choice is limited by the inclusion of two different fuselages - fuselage from sprue B is intended for options A-C, the one from sprue C - for options D-J - so you can build a combination of A, B or C with any option from the D-J range, but you can't build i.e. option D and E straight from the kit.

22 minutes ago, caughtinthemiddle said:

Yes, you can build two kits from the box, but the markings option choice is limited by the inclusion of two different fuselages - fuselage from sprue B is intended for options A-C, the one from sprue C - for options D-J - so you can build a combination of A, B or C with any option from the D-J range, but you can't build i.e. option D and E straight from the kit.

Well, that’s a bit more clear. Thanks. 

I've just compared, in a sort of cursory fashion, the Tamiya Mk.1 and the new Eduard Mk. 1 Spitfires, and I am thoroughly amazed at the detail difference on the surfaces of the fuselage and wings.  The Eduard has a huge amount of very subtle detailed rivets, whereas the Tamiya does not have this rivet detail at all.  I have to presume that the rivet detail will survive a thin primer coat and a thin color coat.  I'm thinking that using Stynylrez for the primer, and lacquer paints for the colors, due to their well known thin paint layers, ought to be sufficient to retain that very subtle rivet detail.  Nonetheless, the level of detail on the Eduard is incredible, compared to the Tamiya.  

However, I cannot speak to any other details, as to whether one or the other is dimensionally more accurate that the other, or which of the two kits fit together better than the other.  If they are similar in both accuracy and fit, then the Eduard kit certainly seems to be, to this unschooled modeler, the 'better' of the two kits.   

1 hour ago, Curt B said:

I've just compared, in a sort of cursory fashion, the Tamiya Mk.1 and the new Eduard Mk. 1 Spitfires, and I am thoroughly amazed at the detail difference on the surfaces of the fuselage and wings.  The Eduard has a huge amount of very subtle detailed rivets, whereas the Tamiya does not have this rivet detail at all.  I have to presume that the rivet detail will survive a thin primer coat and a thin color coat.  I'm thinking that using Stynylrez for the primer, and lacquer paints for the colors, due to their well known thin paint layers, ought to be sufficient to retain that very subtle rivet detail.  Nonetheless, the level of detail on the Eduard is incredible, compared to the Tamiya.  

However, I cannot speak to any other details, as to whether one or the other is dimensionally more accurate that the other, or which of the two kits fit together better than the other.  If they are similar in both accuracy and fit, then the Eduard kit certainly seems to be, to this unschooled modeler, the 'better' of the two kits.   

Whether or not the presence of rivet surface detail makes one kit better than another is a function of whether or not one wants to have rivet surface detail, and I don't think there's consensus on that point. I for one have one copy of the new Tamiya Mk. I and have built one of the recent Airfix Mk. Is. I haven't yet bought an Eduard Mk. I (I'll wait until they come out with a one-plane Profipack), but I've built three of their Mk. IX family and love them. My guess is that Eduard and Tamiya are a pretty close choice and have many features to recommend them, though perhaps not the same things.