Lightning a problem?

Once I had to go to the 48th FIS at Langley to help out because somehow they ended up short handed.  One of the interesting things I saw was a area on the other side of therunway that was operated by NASA.  They had some F-106s parked there that I was told they would send up to get hit by lightning.

7 hours ago, ikar said:

Once I had to go to the 48th FIS at Langley to help out because somehow they ended up short handed.  One of the interesting things I saw was a area on the other side of therunway that was operated by NASA.  They had some F-106s parked there that I was told they would send up to get hit by lightning.

https://www.f-106deltadart.com/nasa_lightning_research.htm

We had a lightning strike about 350ft from our house Monday evening! Knocked power out for about 5 hours and caught some brush on fire that the heavy rain quickly extinguished. Luckily, no major damage happened.

-Gregg

Da SWO, did you have any injuries other than the results of your flight?  We have a lot of lightning here in central Florida and I have heard about a full gambit of injuries from lightning strikes. 

A couple of years ago lightning hit right outside my house.  It fried out all the electronic devices down that side of my house.  All TV's, DVD players, my cable box and router and most devastating was all the kids gaming systems.  I was able to witness all the stages of grief and then several days of them driving my crazy because apparently there is nothing else in the world to do.

7 hours ago, Els said:

Da SWO, did you have any injuries other than the results of your flight?  We have a lot of lightning here in central Florida and I have heard about a full gambit of injuries from lightning strikes. 

A couple of years ago lightning hit right outside my house.  It fried out all the electronic devices down that side of my house.  All TV's, DVD players, my cable box and router and most devastating was all the kids gaming systems.  I was able to witness all the stages of grief and then several days of them driving my crazy because apparently there is nothing else in the world to do.

Long term, no.

It entered/discharged from my left hip/glut.

Couldn't walk for a couple of days.

My wife had (had being the optimal word) a hydroponic (sp?) planter. close strike, hit the planter which then hit me. I then discharged back into the planter (we believe).

On 8/12/2020 at 8:08 AM, habu2 said:

Cool, thanks!

Hmm, 

Lightening Strike Program

F-106B 57-2516 NASA NF-106B N816NA
Langley Research Center, Hampton VA

Should I mention their spelling to them?
https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/lightening

lightening

[līt´en-ing] the sensation of decreased abdominal distention caused by descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity, 2 or 3 weeks before labor begins.

Edited by southwestforests

My closest encounter with lightning (got that spelled right?), was when walking back to the car from the local Office Depot in Ft. Myers, FL. Lightning struck a lamp post as I was walking by it. Have never heard anything that loud. I nearly pissed myself. Scared the sh*t out of me.