Revell 1/48 Consolidated SA-10A Catalina

Hello All,

1 collection, 26 years, 142 aircraft, and this is the biggest failure.

This is Revell's 1/48 Catalina with Belcher Bits resin tail, Quickboost resin engines, Eduard Brassin wheels and PE undercarriage. As the kit decals were pretty inaccurate, all markings are masked and sprayed - there are no decals on the model. The finish is mainly Mr Color with some MRP and Hataka lacquer thrown in for good measure; there are no clear coats. Quite a few little additions and alterations were made to better represent the real thing, from Hamilton AFB in 1949.

The real problem is that the day after completion, the undercarriage collapsed. It was a tail-sitter anyway, and will probably sit in this stand for about a month and then get thrown away. 

A real nightmare build in the end, which you can read all about here: https://jonbryon.com/2020/08/13/revell-1-48-consolidated-sa-10a-catalina/

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Jon

sa10_08.jpg

img_1596.jpg

sa10_34.jpg

sa10_28.jpg

sa10_26.jpg

sa10_54.jpg

sa10_36.jpg

sa10_18.jpg

sa10_04.jpg

sa10_14.jpg

sa10_02.jpg

sa10_40.jpg

sa10_20.jpg

sa10_30.jpg

sa10_11.jpg

sa10_33.jpg

sa10_39.jpg

sa10_49.jpg

sa10_51.jpg

sa10_21.jpg

sa10_35.jpg

sa10_19.jpg

sa10_47.jpg

In spite of your issues, it looks rather impressive.  Thanks for all the heads up - they will be useful when/if I decide to make a start on my own kit.  With the Belcher Bits tail.  Good solution for scribing the panel lines - will copy that.  One idea I had for supporting the tail was to add a crewman to "do something" behind the main gear in a way that would add support.  Either walking under and holding his hand on the fuselage to avoid knocking his head or maybe touching the fuselage to support himself.

Oh, and good point on "large models"...

beautiful build!! nice and clean.

I would make a small "ship" style stand the keep the wheels just on or just above the ground. make it out of wood with a nice stain and it should look as if it was always supposed to be that way.

Sean

14 minutes ago, Ratte said:

I love the splotchy tonal variations especially on the blue-grey. How did you achieve this? Blackbasing or postshading or....?

Yes, blackbasing for the blue, and then a dirty blue/grey oil filter over the top, applied with a very wide brush over the paint (no clear coats used anywhere on the model), left to dry for a while and then buffed off with a coffee filter.

Thanks

Jon

8 minutes ago, blackwidowmaker said:

One more question: what is the rational of using a coffee filter for the buffing instead of say kitchen towel or some soft cloth?

It doesn't leave any fibres or lint.

Jon