Released: 1:144 C-130H Dyess AFB Decals in AMC Gray Scheme

Looking for 1:144 C-130H Dyess AFB decals in AMC gray scheme for a tribute build for the wife of a friend.  She flew with the 39th AS. I don't know which tail band (red or blue), or if the black DY tail code will suffice. 

080510-F-5957S-158_001.jpeg.134c3b78d8d26c5bdd8bbdf7302603e5.jpeg

I am still waiting for photos from him. I am on C-130.net right now trying to figure something out.  Any help appreciated.  K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
Change status from "Looking For" to "Released."

39th had a red tailband, which tail number are you doing? I thought  Draw decal might have them. The only Dyess bird decals for the 39th I know of are in the 1/200th Hasegawa kit and Vince Maddox decals in 1/48th. Of  course depending on time frame you could use the DY tail code, or even the Texas Flag tail band. You could also check with  Steve Eggers ( if I recall did a 40th bird in 72nd), and I think he made the decals. I remember seeing a sheet some where in the forms with a bunch of Dyess tailbands in various scales, sorry I cant think of which part of the forums but most likely props or in progress.

Thanks, yes I am familiar with Vince Maddux decals for the 39th AS in 1:48 & 1:72. I think I can do all the standard markings and stencils from 1:144 kit decals. I have asked Greg Drawbaugh if he can help. Worst case scenario. I will try to print my own red Dyess tailband. Looking for 84-2069 or 4065 or 1598.

Edited by Dutch
add link

I just finished doing this one a few weeks ago for a friend who flew in the 39th AS back in the early 90s. I used the DRAW DECALS generic C-130s, made the two on the front, and cobbled the remainder from spares. 

116099544_10223321870739103_6301404812388214454_o.jpg.c279d7c1808292e5af876fcfdcd7213e.jpg

@Chorse6, Nice work! That was my plan, but he wanted the red mid tail band with "DYESS."  So I asked Greg Drawbaugh at Draw Decals, and he graciously agreed to do them. So I will start building the kit using Bra.Z T-56 engines and wait for the decals to arrive.  Thanks for all the help,  everyone. 

K/r, Dutch 

On 8/16/2020 at 11:14 AM, Gator52 said:

I’ve had a DY-coded Herc on my to-do list for awhile now; I’m curious if Dutch’s project might lead to some additional C-130 sets from Draw Decal. 

Chris

In case folks were curious, the current DRAW Herc collection includes TN ANG, AR ANG, PR ANG, ID ANG, Minneapolis AFRES, Iraqi AF, JASDF Euro-1, JASDF Light Blue, JASDF new Blue-Gray, RAF "Custard & Crud", NASA, Lynden Air Cargo, Delta Air Lines, and Alaska "Golden Nugget"

A number of other sets are in the works, with the release of the Zvzeda kit likely to lead to a few more.

Edited by 757flyer

Draw Decal sheet 44s-C130-16 Dyess AFB C-130H Hercules arrived today. Greg included all three tail bands (red, blue & TX flag) for the 317th, so conceivably,  you could also use the 317th Texas flag tail band on a C-130J-30. Once again,  Draw Decsl to the rescue! My hat is off to Greg for his quick and thorough response to my request.  

K/r,  Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 year later...

There are none. I had to make them. I did start a decal sheet. I got in contact with the 317th PA office and they sent me photos of all the nose art on the aircrafts. I remember them when I was pounding flightline there back in the day. I need to find the file of that decal sheet! I have zero clue where it went. 

On 4/23/2022 at 8:48 AM, Gator52 said:

The printing on the squadron emblem and nose art looks very nice; what sort of printer did you use?

If I recall correctly, that was just printed on a standard inkjet printer. I think I had an HP at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 7:14 AM, Dutch said:

Whoa!  Nice job, Steve!  1/72 scale?

I 2nd that! Looks really good. I remember when Dyess was the 463rd TAW

and their H models were still painted in SEA paint. 

Cheers...Ron C-130E/MC-130P/MC-130H loadmaster retired