Flying Leathernecks 1/48 and 1/32 GBU-38 Now Available

1 hour ago, Solo said:

But what about the tail? It is not the same as Mk.82 has got.

I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but I was an Ordnanceman in the Marine Corps for 22 years. 

The tail assembly hasn't been drawn yet and I hope to get to that later this evening or tomorrow. First, I wanted to see if the nose fairing would print as designed. While slightly simplified, it was drawn using the real one I have in my office as a reference.

No photo description available.

21 minutes ago, Solo said:

I always wanted to ask about it: why GBu-38 or GBU-31 have those metal plates around the body? What it is for?

To help guide the weapon to its target. They act as wings / stabilizers. 

By the way, the 1/32 nose fairing printed as designed. Now to print my own Mk-82 and finish the design of the tail assembly.

Look really fine nad fragile. Should it fit to Eduard’s Mk.82?

17 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

To help guide the weapon to its target. They act as wings / stabilizers.

Ok, and where are the steering surfaces? The tail?

Edited by Solo
9 minutes ago, Solo said:

Look really fine nad fragile. Should it fit to Eduard’s Mk.82?

Ok, and where are the steering surfaces? The tail?

Yes, the fins that steer the weapon are on the tail. 

8 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

While slightly simplified, it was drawn using the real one I have in my office as a reference.

You sure that's enough info to get it right???  :whistle:

Seriously though, VERY cool. Making life easier for us grunts working in the (modeling) trenches.

Still a few tweaks to do on the files before the bombs/tails go into full production, but here's a quick look at the 1/48 GBU-38 attached to our SUU-63 wing pylons.

Suspension lugs on the bombs fit into slots on the pylons and the nose strake slides onto the bomb after painting.

Well, some good news and some not so good news regarding the 1/48 GBU-38 500lb JDAM.

The good news.......everything fits as advertised!

The not so good news.......failure rate is a bit high due to the way the bomb has to be supported.

I've actually had really good success printing the entire bomb/tail assembly as one piece, so it may remain that way. The nose strake and fuzes / nose plugs will remain separate items though.

Third test print of one piece bombs is in progress, fuzes/plugs are pretty well stocked and the final production print of the strakes is on the printer as well.

FL48-8011 GBU-38 500lb JDAM $10.00

Set includes two Mk-82/BLU-111 bombs with KMU-572 tail assemblies attached and the nose strake as a separate piece.
Also included are two (2) DSU-33 proximity fuzes, two (2) MXU-735 solid nose plugs and two (2) Ogive nose plugs.

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/p/fl48-8011-gbu-38-500lb-jdam

118118626_3410638765623971_8884635322886090993_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=ymNEaIpDHIgAX8KCyRE&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=3ced475c562734342ad5ffc190b01389&oe=5F653097

Image may contain: indoor

6 hours ago, jmel said:

Dave, I can't quite tell in the pics.  Do these have the ablative coating of the USN/USMC?  Or are they USAF?

Great work!

Jake

Jake,

They have a very slight texture due to the printing process, but the ablative coating isn't replicated simply because it can't be added in the CAD program I use. 

However, the current coating is subtle and not all ordnance used by the USN and USMC is thermally protected. 

Image may contain: text that says '1325-01-300-3577 F289 BOMB LD BLU-111A/B G.P 500 LBS WITH CABLE ASSEMBLY) PART NO. 30003-923AS331 EXPLOSIVE PBXN-109 WT 180 LBS BATCH NO. 06-562 TOTAL WT. 490 LOT NO. MCA06D013-006 NAVAIR'

Image may contain: outdoor