AH-1S/OH-58D primer color?

Hi All,

Anybody know the color of or have a mix/match for the greenish-yellow primer used on Cobras and Kiowas?  It (to my OLD eyes!) doesn't look like straight yellow or green zinc chromate.  Is it maybe it's a mix of the two!?

Floyd, you out there?

WARDOG

It is known as yellow zinc chromate, or zinc chromate yellow, depending on the paint maker.  It is available in quite a few model paint lines, to include Testors Model Master, Mig, Mission Models, etc...

Hey Heavy Arty,

I was looking at some pictures and it didn't seem to be the same shade as the Testors I have, it SEEMS a little greenish-yellow instead of just pure yellow zinc chromate.  I do know there is a new primer called non-chromate epoxy and I wonder if that's it, I'll figure something out.

Thanks for your help Arty.

Take Care and BE SAFE!

WARDOG

Did the Cobras and OH-58s have the same color primer?

I only ask because the OH-58 fuselages were sub contracted out to Beech (at least early civil JetRangers were) while Cobras were made by Bell, presumably in Ft.Worth.

Edited by JohnEB
Finish

On Cobras and Kiowas, I use either the small Testor's bottle of zinc chromate or Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green.  It is just plain old zinc chromate.  I have seen some where the doors are painted dark green but that was unusual.

Now Kiowa Warriors use an epoxy primer that I've only found in the Mr. Paint line.  It is a very fluorescent green.

Floyd