LIMITED EDITION... Value or sale pitch?

Hello all,

I have bought some limited editions releases from various manufacturers (like Eduard) but other than the steep prices , I see no advantages over regular kits with easily obtained after market parts. These are photo etch, multiple options markings, marks or a piece of resin thrown in rather than " specially made limited edition". So unless you want to stack to make a few bucks of Ebay, do these things have any value for the price they are asking? Dai 

IMO Limited Edition usually means a limited quantity made available and will not be re-released.

In the real world I would look at the history of LE releases by different manufacturers to determine if it is truly limited or just sales hype.

For most model companies, a limited edition is just a boxing of a kit that has a special decal sheet or some extra PE or resin bits.  The kit is almost always still available in the normal non-limited form, so it’s not a case of you can’t get the kit in any form unless you buy the limited edition.  The only real value IMHO is to those who really want the difference that the limited edition provides and can’t get by upgrading a “normal” kit.

From my experience, the only thing you cannot buy after market is decal sheet even for regular releases. But the decals sheet is hardly valued as there are better after market options out there. So I see no need to pay extra for "limited edition" as there is nothing special about it. Just a marketing ploy in my opinion. Dai 

10 hours ago, dai phan said:

From my experience, the only thing you cannot buy after market is decal sheet even for regular releases. But the decals sheet is hardly valued as there are better after market options out there. So I see no need to pay extra for "limited edition" as there is nothing special about it. Just a marketing ploy in my opinion. Dai 

In some cases.  In others, the decals are unique to that specific kit boxing and are unavailable anywhere else.  Case in point is the Fujimi 1/72 F-4D kit that had decals for the South Dakota Centennial celebration (I think it was the centennial, at least - overall blue airplane with the SD state seal painted on the lower surfaces of the wing/fuselage and some other special markings).  No where else to get that scheme.  

So, sometimes, if you want a specific scheme, a "limited edition" is your only option unless you are extremely good with a paintbrush.

I take nothing for granted anymore in this hobby.  I view everything as a limited release and just lucky if it does roll around again.   And when it does, they usually push the prices up to come close to collectors prices.  Ex: Revell re-release of the B-29.  I've learned that if I want to build it one day, buy it now!

And this is why I have a stash that will take me 3 life times to clear out and a small warehouse to hold them all once built.

Depends on the kits and Manufacture. Some LE kits, Hasegawa mostly, have a decal option  that sometimes is only in that boxing and not even available with aftermarket. You may pay a small premium for that up front. If you wait and then decided you wanted those kit markings you may have to pay even more. Most Eduard LE kits are dual boxings. Those IMO are a pretty good value. You get 2 kits a LOT of decal options a couple resin bits on occasion  and then the  PE for less than what you'd pay for 2 Profipak kits. So yes value can be had just shop smart.

On 8/18/2020 at 2:57 AM, habu2 said:

IMO Limited Edition usually means a limited quantity made available and will not be re-released.

I believe you have nailed it. Plus, it's the decals' subject they cover (e.g.: Hasegawa) that makes a kit limited edition.