T-28A 1/48

Use the USAF nose wheel instead of the USN wheel. The airforce wheel had the inflatable tire. The navy's was solid rubber. Both are in the kit. Where are you getting the A's cowling and prop? I don't know why some aftermarket resin company hasn't done it yet. 

Early A's had a taller canopy along with a roll-over bar between the two cockpits.   From what I can tell, they also did not have the speed-brake under the fuselage.   I'm working on the same conversion using the old Monogram T-28A cowling as a starting point.   Since I don't know how to deal with the early canopy, I'm going to model mine as a late A. 

Unfortunately, converting the Roden T-28B to an A is more complex than fairing the Monogram cowling onto the Roden kit. You'll notice in the photographs that the shape of the cowlings (which start just in front of the windscreen) are completely different profiles. The A model cowling starts to curve down from the windscreen; and up from from the bottom of the cowling. The B model is pretty much straight until it curves at the forward edge of the cowling. The exhaust ports, exhaust pipes, cowling flaps, and oil cooler scoops are also different. The engine change is fairly straightforward. The R-1300 of the A model is basically a 7 cylinder R-1820 (the 9 cylinder engine used on the B and subsequent models); they are the same diameter. The forward gear cases are nearly  identical. You'll need to make a new engine block (7 facets; approximately 51 degrees apart); then use the kit cylinders (or an aftermarket R-1820; which I recommend). The propeller in the Monogram kit only bears passing resemblance to the actual A model prop; use photos to accurize. As mentioned, use the fat nose wheel tire. The main problem with the Monogram A cowling is that it uses the existing B model fuselage and only the forward cowling piece resembles an A model. I've been wanting to do a T-28A for some time. Hopefully, someone will come out with a reasonable conversion.

Mig

T-28A-Cowling-Profilea.jpg

T-28B Cowling Profile.jpg