1/48 F-111 Hobbyboss Version question

38 minutes ago, jenshb said:

I believe the two major changes is to add a splitter plate and shorten the shock cone.  Not an insurmountable task...

Move it close to the fuselage, close up the inlet doors and add the transition plate, that opens up instead of the small inlet doors too.

Thanks Guys

I'm looking into the intake differences now to see how much surgery it will need, if its just these and there are no wing or fuselage dimension changes then it sounds doable. 

Its perfectly doable as the kit is quite inaccurate to start with.

The exhaust nozzles could do with a change but you can get some nice ones from Reskit. I cant remember if the cockpit panel is right for an A version.

The rest of the kit fits in with the short wing version if you discount those two outstanding features though.

Just Googled F-111 TPII intakes and and found the f-111.net website for modellers. Has some excellent photos of the intake differences you are talking about so right click and saved. Appreciate the help  Ray

It has its own set of pros and cons compared to the Academy kit. Its an improvement in some ways of course. the bomb bay is nice, as is the Pave Tack, but the latter isnt accurate and doesnt provide the option to mount the data link pod.

I like the Academy kit too. But neither are anything to write home about. 

I just had it out of the box tonight to go over it, obviously I don't know how the fit is but the detail looks excellent. I haven't built a Hobbyboss kit before but will be starting my first one here soon, the 1/48 F8F bearcat. 

Hobby boss isnt bad over all, Ive mostly built their WWII German tank kits but done a few aircraft models too, they are very much like Trumpeter which isnt unlike the old Hasegawa kits but with way more details than they had.

Some of the riveting was a bit heavy or over done on the older kits but in more recent years they're nice.

The F-111 kit has some detail problems on it though, the wing flaps are the wrong way around, which takes a lot of chopping to fix them.
If you look at the flaps themselves when you put it together as per the instructions they are the wrong way around, they are flipped span wise, so the panels that are shorter chord wise should be on the outside and so on from the tip to the fuselage. The canopy also needs some work to look right, but the fix isnt all that hard, it just needs a vacform canopy and some fillets.

Okay Reading this again I see thats the Academy canopy on the Hobby boss kit, Cybermodeler talks about the canopy shape issue. Going to pull the canopy out today to see for myself. Cheers Ray

29 minutes ago, RCNFAN said:

Okay Reading this again I see thats the Academy canopy on the Hobby boss kit, Cybermodeler talks about the canopy shape issue. Going to pull the canopy out today to see for myself. Cheers Ray

Check my edit

1 hour ago, RCNFAN said:

Excellent, there is an option. I also found that OZ mods makes one. 

I think it's identical to the Squadron one. Certainly the one I ordered from OZ mods a few years ago *is* the Squadron canopy.

Jon