With Modelmaster and ModelMaster metallizer being phased out

Thanks for asking. This was the exact question I was wondering about as well as I'm on my last bottle of MM Burnt Metal.

Here's a second question. Which of the above mentioned paints can also be brush painted? I loved MM Metalizers because you could brush small parts.

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Thanks for asking. This was the exact question I was wondering about as well as I'm on my last bottle of MM Burnt Metal.

Here's a second question. Which of the above mentioned paints can also be brush painted? I loved MM Metalizers because you could brush small parts.

Have you ever tried craft type paint? I used Apple Barrel gold leaf and platinum silver to great effect on some brake disks on a model car. They brushed very well, dried quickly, water based and much cheaper than model paints. Michael's, Hobby Lobby etc..

1 minute ago, Bob Beary said:

Have you ever tried craft type paint? I used Apple Barrel gold leaf and platinum silver to great effect on some brake disks on a model car. They brushed very well, dried quickly, water based and much cheaper than model paints. Michael's, Hobby Lobby etc..

I might have to give that a try.

5 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Have a look here, you can do it with Mr Metallics : Natural Metal Finishes

Would be nice if True North would make a metallic line like Testor's. They seem to be the heir to the Model Master line.

P.S. I just checked True North's site and they are now listing a "Series 5 Metal Effects" range. There's no other info about the range so don't know what they'll be like.

2 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

How do you make a small fortune in the enamel model paint business?

Start with a large fortune.

With what they charge per ounce, you'd think that someone is making money!

What is it $5 an ounce? 

The Chanel I buy my wife costs more, but that's about it.

Rather than thinking about the markup on a retailer is getting on this liquid, I tend to look at the variety of paints available on the market and what types they are. Enamels are not particularly popular in most of the world. Tamiya makes a line of enamels and I've never seen them retailed, but my local hobby shop does have the new lacquer paints coming. I can't mix enamel with another type of paint, but many of the other lines are compatible. Also, the other polymeric paints cure more quickly while enamel is still outgassing three days later.

It's possible that someone is making money, but it's probably insignificant. I don't know what the economics experts would call it when you don't move enough units to justify continuing to make something regardless of the profit you're making on each unit. I'm sure Rust-Oleum doesn't employ any economists or accountants. It must be going over my head... 

Edited by andrew.deboer

I think its more of they don't make enough money on the line. I agree with you JohnEB, they have to be making money on the paints, they just don't sell the volume needed to fill the coffers of the CEOs and stock holders running a large corporation these days. Comes down to greed in my opinion. They aren't getting rich quick off it so they drop the line to streamline operations.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, Darren Roberts said:

Citadel Acrylics by Game Workshop have a great line of brush-able metallic colors.