With Modelmaster and ModelMaster metallizer being phased out

Are the new paints better than MM I'd say yes as the don't tend to rub off  when handled and don't need  sealing also a wider variety of colours,  as far as prices go check Sprue Brothers prices are in line eg. MM $3.99 1/2 ounce bottle. Alclad II $7.49 1 ounce bottle same value. Check out YouTube reviews there are tons out there.

Ken

Edited by KenM
1 hour ago, KenM said:

Are the new paints better than MM I'd say yes as the don't tend to rub off  when handled and don't need  sealing also a wider variety of colours,  as far as prices go check Sprue Brothers prices are in line eg. MM $3.99 1/2 ounce bottle. Alclad II $7.49 1 ounce bottle same value. Check out YouTube reviews there are tons out there.

Ken

Even before MM started to go downhill, I discovered Mr Color paints and Mr Leveling Thinner. The quality of Mr Color paints is far beyond MM in my book. Smooth finishes, fast drying, very fine pigments. Then I found MRP AKA Mr. Paint. Pre-thinned lacquers with extremely fine pigments. They airbrush beautifully and like Mr Color, smooth fine finishes. Another great "newer" paint is AKAN. I use their solvent based lacquers. They come in very small little bottles but are extremely concentrated fine pigmented paint. Once thinned (I use Mr Leveling thinner) they spray much like MRP. Smooth finish with amazing covering properties.

I still have a bunch of MM paints, but I use them less and less, and most have dried up in the bottle.

Yes Testors got bought out by RPM but that was in 1984 so you can't really blame the parent company, my guess is either declining or flat sales and rising costs. The other thing is the way the hobby has shifted older crowd, more artistic, other companies ( AK, AMMO by Mig , etc.) offering tons and tons of new product, if you want to stay on top or close you have to keep up with trends once you fall behind it's hard to catch up.

Ken  

Edited by KenM