AMK’s 1/48 F-14D Tomcat

First off I apologize for any remarks on the 325 page of comments on this kit that I made that may have been negative. I received my kit today from Victory Models and all I can say is WOW! What a kit I looked up reviews and watched the video builds and had to have it. The kit and packaging were well executed. I love the one piece forward fuselage and how the ordnance is molded on the sprues. As far as this kit having a fat a** rear I don’t know comparing it to my Tamiya F-14A they look identical in width. I haven’t compared it with my Hasegawas.I am thinking VF-101 Grim Reapers.

I went with the AML kit over the Tamiya kit myself, I wanted to have all the control surfaces on show.

I heard just about thee most stupid complaint about this kit being that the wings cant be moved once built unlike the Tamiya kit.

All I could think was if you drop the flaps and slats on the Tamiya kit you wouldnt be able to move the wings back with or without the pivot points.

Its a lovely looking model in the box to be sure, the weapon options are full enough for me too

What Darren said and dont look to closely at the panel lines they vary in quality and pattern even where they should be identical.

At least they cut corners on scribing where you generally cant see them easily.
Fit is fiddly.

Looks great when finished just dont sit it next to your Tamiya kit.

I have just reviewed the kit on my channel and love it, however the quality isn't up there with Tamiya.

I have been led to believe there is an issue with all the kits.. the left side vertical pillar on the windscreen is mis-moulded.. ie:- Absent. Is this the case? Are ALL kits affected?

Is it worth bothering AMK for a replacement?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 12:27 AM, F4DPhantomII said:

First off I apologize for any remarks on the 325 page of comments on this kit that I made that may have been negative. I received my kit today from Victory Models and all I can say is WOW! What a kit I looked up reviews and watched the video builds and had to have it. The kit and packaging were well executed. I love the one piece forward fuselage and how the ordnance is molded on the sprues. As far as this kit having a fat a** rear I don’t know comparing it to my Tamiya F-14A they look identical in width. I haven’t compared it with my Hasegawas.I am thinking VF-101 Grim Reapers.

You misunderstood the issue about the hips. It is not that they are too broad; that wouldn't be such a big issue to resolve. it is rather that they are wrongly angled and thus creating the impression of being too round and broad. The way it is, it is pretty much impossible or well let's say, very very circumstancial to at least halfway correct that issue. For me personally the hip-issue is just the major tun-off but what actually bothers me even more about the kit by now are the way too fat LEX areas above the intakes. In Manuel J.'s Flickr gallery is a nice side b side shot of his Tamiya VF-213 F-14D and his AMK VF-31 F-14D and the differences are very obvious.

It's a matter of personal perference. Most people just won't care and that is absolutely fine. I for one am just bothered by AMKs inaccuracies enough to be put off personally but that is to each and everyone self to decide.

Anyways, as the poster above stated, wrong forum topic. There's already a 325 long thread for this.

Edited by bushande
On 8/20/2020 at 5:27 PM, F4DPhantomII said:

There is a WIP showing how the hip issue was fixed, - with putty.  https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235076569-amk-f-14d-148-in-flight/ Check posts #12 & 15.

Anyway, it's a fine kit, there are many fine builds out there, and I think you will enjoy it. Just pay attention, and test-fit.

Cheers!

Edited by IAGeezer
Correction