26 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Dspiae Circle cutter (also boxed by Meng).  Expensive.

http://216.187.79.26/2017/reviews/tools/brevecocirclecutterreviewjh_1.htm

Shadow Hobby makes a similar one, but a little cheaper.

https://shadowhobby.com/tlcc-000-thinnerline-circle-cutter.html

That looked like a very clean cut from the demo. Thanks Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all. I ordered one of the cutters from Shadow Hobby back in the beginning of January.  Today I've yet to hear/see anything.  I did email their "sales@" address in the beginning of March & still nothing.  Anyone have a similar experience? I hope it's worth the $60.

On 8/22/2020 at 1:44 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

Ive got the square version.

Please forgive my odd sense of humour, but when I read that I thought, 'Wow, he's got the one that cuts square holes. Cool!'

4 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Hi Richard, I see there's a 0.5mm hole as well -- the Cricut Explore Air 2 can do that?   And what type of masking material is that?

Yes, it can cut a 0.5mm hole, but the edges of the hole are pretty rough since the hole is so small.  I would say the smallest diameter it can cleanly cut is 1.0mm.

Masking material is your basic Tamiya masking sheet, which you can get from here or here.

3 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Does it help if I can make my own dxf or dwg files to operate one? And have you tried it on styrene sheet?

Yes, the Cricut software can import dxf files, so you are good to go.  I have cut styrene sheets (0.010 and 0.015) with it to make aircraft Head-Up Display and rectangular pieces for spraying paint samples.

styrene_rects.jpg.8238150cc5bc96c8db8d8870ec90bb63.jpg

On 4/2/2021 at 9:48 AM, RichardL said:

Square holes, no problem 🙂 Not even intricate squadron insignia for that "painted on" look:

masks_01.jpg.e2ca2630167678a9132f6346a7041b6d.jpg

masks_02.jpg.9efbce0f4378f4329fb8d00ad35b48cd.jpg

masks_03.jpg.3d2b96f182b01ee14609bdaf7e2bcc17.jpg

masks_04.jpg.a0751edf6cc9688d857c42618e87a2a3.jpg

masks_05.jpg.2813d231703d00348f9dad764e6a5a6e.jpg

Oh wow. You got me curious now. Wished I had known this before I went and did this. Thanks

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

Thanks. Hmm..I dont want to be forever cutting masks by hand.  The xacto and scissors just don't cut it, heheh.  Really thinking about pulling the trigger on one that I found on the local ads.

Edited by crackerjazz

OK i bought the Cricut cutter.   I remember looking up Explore Air 2 prices and this cost a little more.   He said the Air 2 was gone and he only had this one remaining.  I paid him anyway as it was a bit of a drive and I didn't want to want my trip to go to waste.  Hope I could learn to work this thing.  And I'll check out the LHS for some masking sheets so I can give her a try.   

On 3/31/2021 at 6:05 AM, Makeout said:

Hi all. I ordered one of the cutters from Shadow Hobby back in the beginning of January.  Today I've yet to hear/see anything.  I did email their "sales@" address in the beginning of March & still nothing.  Anyone have a similar experience? I hope it's worth the $60.

Same here. I ordered one and haven't heard anything. I emailed them a couple of times with no response. Went to Paypal to start the process of getting my money back. They tried to contact them and still nothing. I elevated it to a claim. Hopefully I will hear back from PayPal this coming week.

• 3 weeks later...

img%5D

Hi Richard, I tried out the Cricut on some Tamiya tape like you did.  This thing really works -- amazing machine : )    Got a question about the sticky mat -- looks like it will lose its stickiness over time with repeated use.   Do you guys just keep buying fresh ones? 

2 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Got a question about the sticky mat -- looks like it will lose its stickiness over time with repeated use.   Do you guys just keep buying fresh ones? 

Yes, the mat will lose its stickiness over time, but it will take a long time.  My mat is square, so I use a different side each time to distribute usage evenly and prolong its life.  Also, Amazon sells 3-pack replacement for cheap.

Ok, thanks, Richard. They should invent something like a replaceable sticky paper that goes on top of the sticky mat : )   

img%5D

Really glad I got the thing.  They say your wife and kids will soon take over the machine as it's just fun to use.  Cutting anything is a breeze now.   Will see how it fares on styrene sheets.