F-4D tailplanes, 1971 Udorn/Vietnam (reinforcement plates)

Ok, my latest setback on my 1971 Udorn-based F-4D Phantom as my stash diminishes to 7; the triangular reinforcement plates weren't added 'til after 1971, correct?  

I ask in the vain hope that I won't have to correct them now that they've received the SEA camouflage on the outer sections....but I'm not hopeful. I just can't see the tailplanes clearly in my photos of my subject.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
8 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Ok, my latest setback on my 1971 Udorn-based F-4D Phantom as my stash diminishes to 7; the triangular reinforcement plates weren't added 'til after 1971, correct?  

I ask in the vain hope that I won't have to correct them now that they've received the SEA camouflage on the outer sections....but I'm not hopeful. I just can't see the tailplanes clearly in my photos of my subject.

I may be wrong, but didn't somebody do a photo etch set awhile back?

gary

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

I may be wrong, but didn't somebody do a photo etch set awhile back?

gary

Not sure, but I'm guessing that would be 1/48.  I'm a 72nd guy.

Either way, what I need to know is if I need to REMOVE the plate for this timeframe since it comes molded on the tailplane already.  

2 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Not sure, but I'm guessing that would be 1/48.  I'm a 72nd guy.

Either way, what I need to know is if I need to REMOVE the plate for this timeframe since it comes molded on the tailplane already.  

that, I cannot help you with. 

glt

Hello Andrew,

I wouldn't bother. I checked all my references and I did find exactly 2 pics from 1972 where a D seemed to have them. Both jets were assigned to the 3rd TFW. On is a color picture in Don Logan's Book about the 388th TFW and the other on is the MiG Killer of Cherry and Feinstein. And even on those it is not exactly discernable. Non of the E's or EF-4C's showed them. I'd leave 'em off.

Cheers

Michael

Jeffrey of Hypersonic Models makes sets of Horizontal stabs, both slotted and unslotted that have the reinforcement plate as a separate photoetch piece. So you can use them without the plate.

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4-phantom-unslotted-stabilator

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4-phantom-slotted-stabilator

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

Jeffrey of Hypersonic Models makes sets of Horizontal stabs, both slotted and unslotted that have the reinforcement plate as a separate photoetch piece. So you can use them without the plate.

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4-phantom-unslotted-stabilator

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4-phantom-slotted-stabilator

Thanks! Except I'm a 72nd builder.

I wouldn't mind so much having to file and grind the plates away as I am now, except that I realized the problem after I'd painted the SEA camo on them.... 

15 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Thanks! Except I'm a 72nd builder.

I wouldn't mind so much having to file and grind the plates away as I am now, except that I realized the problem after I'd painted the SEA camo on them.... 

Duh, right in front of my face. Sorry about that. :doh: