1/48 F11F Tiger Options

49 minutes ago, Jon Krol said:

The Pima F11F that you photographed has the Martin Baker H5 seat that was ordered installed in all navy fighters after 1958. The Tiger was being phased out of frontline service at the time so they weren't prioritized to receive

the seat until after reaching advanced training squadrons.

As it happened, the F11Fs didn't even get the M-B seats in the training command. The only two that did had been pulled out of the desert for test of the Rohr inflight reverser program. There weren't any unexpired pyrotechnics for the Grumman seats by that point so the M-B seats were substituted. For an A-B test, one F-11 got the reverser installation and the other was stock.

49 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

As it happened, the F11Fs didn't even get the M-B seats in the training command. The only two that did had been pulled out of the desert for test of the Rohr inflight reverser program. There weren't any unexpired pyrotechnics for the Grumman seats by that point so the M-B seats were substituted. For an A-B test, one F-11 got the reverser installation and the other was stock.

Was the one at Pina the stock chase plane?

21 hours ago, Jon Krol said:

Was the one at Pina the stock chase plane?

I think they were both at Pima at one point. But the one with the reverser appears to have wound up at Pueblo: http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/Stick/F11/853/Stickm4_5.htm

The one without was painted as a Blue Angel (it reportedly was one) and stayed at PIma.

However, there were other F11Fs on display at Pima over time and I don't know which one you have pictures of (see http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/Stick/F11/Stickm4_2a.htm)

The difference is pretty obvious if you can see the aft end...

The Tiger I photographed at Pima was marked 141824, Blue Angel #5. This was in 1994. Ginter #40, page 135 shows the chase plane in that number, and helpfully contains a photo from 1992 when the repaint was completed. Page 134 shows 141853 with the reverser installed.

Grumman-F11F-1 Tiger Blue Angels starboard profile Pima-2

Pima's 141824, also 1994. Here' a view up the afterburner, Looks un-modified but if they unfastened their way to attaching the reverser, it could have all been put back. But if photos of the modified one exist after 1994, this can't be it.

Grumman-F11F-1 Tiger Blue Angels afterburner, tailhook Pima-1

Edited by Bill Abbott

I'm not sure how to use the quote feature, but plasticutter- if you're still looking for a Lindberg 1/48 Tiger, let me know. I have one that you can have. 

I also have tons of photos of Tiger photos of the Blue Angels airplane in Topeka, the ROHR in-flight thrust vectoring test airplane at Pueblo (formerly at Pima), and even a few of the short nose test airplane at the MAPS Air Museum in Ohio. That one is in bad shape though.

Oops..I also just read another reply.

To clarify, the ROHR in-flight thrust vectoring test airplane is currently on display at the Pueblo-Weisbrod Aircraft Museum in Colorado. It still has the thrust reverser installed and has been beautifully repainted in it's red, black, and white markings. The folks at the museum are a great bunch and they allowed me to extensively photograph the Tiger and a number of other aircraft.

Chris, well done photographing the reverser bird! Are your pictures on line? 

My local modeling club is Silicon Valley Scale  Modelers - SVSM - and they have 4 sets of F-11 pictures at their web site. 

http://svsm.org/gallery/f11_family, including a Blue Angel's marked example on the USS Intrepid museum and the cockpit and nose at the USS Hornet museum, berthed at the former Alameda NAS.

Sorry to be late getting back to the forums! No, my photos aren't online unfortunately. I had been working with Detail & Scale but things didn't work out unfortunately. I wrote the Hellcat book and did the new photography for it, and had hoped to do the Tiger but it just didn't happen. Tommy Thomason was a huge help with the Hellcat book by the way. I still have all of my photos and can burn them onto a CD for anyone who wants them. My goal was to help scale modelers everywhere who couldn't make it to those museums. I will definitely check out your photos! 

On another interesting note, there is a long nose Blue Angels Tiger on display in the veterans park in the small southern Oklahoma town of Tishomingo. An obscure place, but Clarence 'Smokey' Tolbert, opposing solo for the 1968 season was from there. When the Blues retired the F-11s, Smokey convinced the Navy to donate one to his hometown as a display. It was flown into the Ardmore Municipal Airport and trucked to Tishomingo. Smokey was later killed on his third tour in Vietnam. The last time I was down there, the jet still looked good.

• 1 month later...

These are XMM air intakes for Lindberg 1/48 F11F-1. They were produced for personal use only, don't have panel lines and have minor defects on the outer surfaces of the invisible parts of the ducts. For this reason, they are not included to the catalog, but molds allow to make multiple copies.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

On 10/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, dinozavr said:

These are XMM air intakes for Lindberg 1/48 F11F-1. They were produced for personal use only, don't have panel lines and have minor defects on the outer surfaces of the invisible parts of the ducts. For this reason, they are not included to the catalog, but molds allow to make multiple copies.

I'm trying to understand if these are available for purchase or what.   I can't find a link to XMM (if this is a company) so if you can provide more info it would be greatly appreciated.   Like others, I'm kicking around the idea of updating the ancient Lindberg kit to a long nose Tiger using my FM kit as a reference.

2 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

I'm trying to understand if these are available for purchase or what.   I can't find a link to XMM (if this is a company) so if you can provide more info it would be greatly appreciated.   Like others, I'm kicking around the idea of updating the ancient Lindberg kit to a long nose Tiger using my FM kit as a reference.

www.xmold-modeling.com

You can write to e-mail xmm.information@gmail.com and clarify the details

I can commend those that want to tackle converting the Lindberg Tiger to a long nose version. Heck, even a short nosed version. However it is a fools errand. Sorry, that is all I can say. I even had a nice set of 1/48 scale 3 view plans done by Detail and Scale a long time ago when I made my attempt. I used them to create and alter the kit parts. Still, there is just too much that needs to be changed and made. The 1/72scale drawings in his D&S Vol. 17 on the Tiger by Terry Smith are the same Bert just enlarged them to 1/48. I believe Bert published several sets of the 3 views done by Mr. Smith from his other books as well.  The publishing date is 1984 just to give you an idea as to how long ago I attempted the conversion. When the FM Tiger came along I relegated all my Lindberg Tiger bits and pieces to the round file. 

1 hour ago, Jon Krol said:

I can commend those that want to tackle converting the Lindberg Tiger to a long nose version. Heck, even a short nosed version. However it is a fools errand. Sorry, that is all I can say. I even had a nice set of 1/48 scale 3 view plans done by Detail and Scale a long time ago when I made my attempt. I used them to create and alter the kit parts. Still, there is just too much that needs to be changed and made. The 1/72scale drawings in his D&S Vol. 17 on the Tiger by Terry Smith are the same Bert just enlarged them to 1/48. I believe Bert published several sets of the 3 views done by Mr. Smith from his other books as well.  The publishing date is 1984 just to give you an idea as to how long ago I attempted the conversion. When the FM Tiger came along I relegated all my Lindberg Tiger bits and pieces to the round file. 

Of course, the F9F-9 is not a serial F11F-1, and the Lindberg kit requires a lot, a very lot of alterations. But there is one small but hard-to-fix problem. FM Tiger is very rare and very expensive. Lindberg Tiger is cheap and procurable. Nothing is known about the production of some new model. So if there is a desire, patience and skillful hands, then it is quite possible to make a serial F11F-1 from an experimental F9F-9

8 minutes ago, dinozavr said:

Of course, the F9F-9 is not a serial F11F-1, and the Lindberg kit requires a lot, a very lot of alterations. But there is one small but hard-to-fix problem. FM Tiger is very rare and very expensive. Lindberg Tiger is cheap and procurable. Nothing is known about the production of some new model. So if there is a desire, patience and skillful hands, then it is quite possible to make a serial F11F-1 from an experimental F9F-9

Well all I can say is good luck. It is a difficult road to follow. I wish I still had those drawings. They would be helpful to a degree for you. If you can find Vol 17 D&S maybe you could have the three views blown up to 1/48.  

Since the FM kit is very hard to find and be prepared to pay over $175 on Ebay when adn if one comes up:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1%2F48+Fondiere+Miniatures+F11F-1&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=02739-1473&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

I rec, you try the 1/48 ScratchAeronautics kit since it is about $100 shipped to you from Juan.  It looks pretty nice too.

Steve

Just my 2 cents for what that is worth. The Scratchaero kit is still based on the Lindberg kit with added resin that sorta, kinda gets you to something that looks something like a production Tiger. For another ~$100.00 you get the real deal. Certainly your choice, your money.  Me, I wasn't very impressed with the photos of the kit. For the work that Scratchaero put into making the molds they should have just created a completely new kit from uh, scratch.

Are the rest of Phil's collections listed there as well? It was a huge loss when he passed.

The rest is available at the above site. Just delete everything after.com/. 

Well...maybe not. Some stuff does not open.

Edited by Jon Krol
  • 4 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 7:31 PM, Drifterdon said:

Did someone mention $175 on evilbay?   Try $325!!!   Holy Schnikes....

Fonderie Miniature 1/48 Grumman F11F-1 Tiger W/Resin& Metal Blue Angels Rare | eBay

Oooooo, I got a special offer on this because I have it in my watched items....  Now just for me (and anyone else watching it) $299!!!

We really need one of the major kit producers to tool this up.   This shows up every year on what kits folks would like to see.   I know I'd be all over it.

Edited by Drifterdon