1/72 - Northrop F-5E & F Tiger II (new tool) by DreamModel - released

4 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Let's be real, this kit is priced above their J-20 that is a vastly superior kit both in size and detail quality.

Judging by the cost of their AH-1Z, I'd say their management is trying to maximize income before the Wolfpack rebox shows up in stores. 

By Wolfpack rebox, were you referring to their RF-5A/F-5A kits:

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-northrop-f-5a-skoshi-tiger-wlfwp17203

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-northrop-rf-5a-freedom-fighter-rokaf-reconnaissance-fighter-wlf17202

Thinking about it, it would've been wonderful had Special Hobby taken on the Tiger family

I'm with you, Moritz.  I was hoping that after their Mirage F.1s, they'd do the Tigers next. 

Edited by JackMan
3 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Not sure what you mean by "rebox."  I believe it's been confirmed that the F-5 announced by Wolfpack has no relationship to Dreammodel's kit, it is another new tooling.

Correct, I ijitially thought that Wolfpack's F-5A was an E, still with no relation to Dream Model's kit.

3 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

I don't see where it has been "confirmed" that the announced Wolfpack and the announced DreamModel F-5E kits are different or the same. 

It was reported as such on Britmodeller, although re-reading the discussion it was not an *absolute* confirmation.

At the very least there's no previous relationship between the two companies.  Wolpack (not to be confused with Wolfpak) is a Korean company, while DreamModel is Chinese (Shanghai based).  Wolfpack is a distributor for Skunkmodels and Kinetic out of Hong Kong, but doesn't have any ongoing relationships with other Chinese manufacturers (at least none publicly announced).

18 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

I contacted Wolfpack and they responded saying that the two kits are unrelated and that Wolfpack will announce a release schedule for their F-5E/F soon.

Well that's good to hear! Thanks Paul ;0) Fred K.

1 hour ago, Paul Boyer said:

I contacted Wolfpack and they responded saying that the two kits are unrelated and that Wolfpack will announce a release schedule for their F-5E/F soon.

Looking forward to this kit.  Hopefully it’s as nice as their T-2

• 7 months later...

So I finally picked up a copy of the Dream Model kit. It cost me $30 shipped from China, so the price was do-able, but it did take months to get here. Overall I'm pretty underwhelmed with the kit. The scribed details are beautiful to be sure, but once you get to the cockpit, and the canopy actuators (there are none), and a lack of dropped speed brakes, is where it really falls down. They could have had a real gem here, but its like they decided that a nice scribing job was good enough and gave up completely on the cockpit and speed brakes.

Also the decals provided for all of the USN versions, including the Topgun "MiG-28" are incorrect for this early version of the F-5E. All of these jets mentioned have the wing root LEXs and duckbill nose cone. The kit does supply the nose cone, but no LEXs. However they can be easily added with a little sheet plastic, but OOB they're useless unless you don't care 😆

So even at $30 I'd give it a pass and wait for the Wolfpack release. I was going to get the F before my E arrived, but then I saw that there is no provision for an open canopy and actuators, so I skipped the F.

Way to go Dream Model..... what a half hearted attempt that was 🙄 Fred K.

Edited by f5guy
1 hour ago, f5guy said:

So I finally picked up a copy of the Dream Model kit. It cost me $30 shipped from China, so the price was do-able, but it did take months to get here. Overall I'm pretty underwhelmed with the kit. The scribed details are beautiful to be sure, but once you get to the cockpit, and the canopy actuators (there are none), and a lack of dropped speed brakes, is where it really falls down. They could have had a real gem here, but its like they decided that a nice scribing job was good enough and gave up completely on the cockpit and speed brakes.

Also the decals provided for all of the USN versions, including the Topgun "MiG-28" are incorrect for this early version of the F-5E. All of these jets mentioned have the wing root LEXs and duckbill nose cone. The kit does supply the nose cone, but no LEXs. However they can be easily added with a little sheet plastic, but OOB they're useless unless you don't care 😆

So even at $30 I'd give it a pass and wait for the Wolfpack release. I was going to get the F before my E arrived, but then I saw that there is no provision for an open canopy and actuators, so I skipped the F.

Way to go Dream Model..... what a half hearted attempt that was 🙄 Fred K.

What a coincidence. I was just thinking about buying the F but, after reading your comments I thought let's just wait and see what Wolfpack will offer us as an alternative.

It is a shame that they forgotten to represent the details you mention. Particularly, the speed brakes because when the aircraft is parked these are dropped. so, basically we are talking about kit-bashing between Italeri's and Dream Model's kits if we want to make an accurate in details and shape F-5E and F.

Now, I have to admit as a scale modeller I am tempted to buy the E and F from Dream Model and see how I can improve them but, it is their prices that forbid me to do so.

Pretty good summary Fred. I've read similar reviews, with the same words. Sprue Brothers has had them on sale before, but I held off. The reasons you mentioned just cant justify the expense.

-Jeff

• HomeBe changed the title to 1/72 - Northrop F-5E & F Tiger II (new tool) by DreamModel - released
1 hour ago, Mizar said:

compare canopy, fuselage thickness against Italeri kits and picutres of real aircraft

Luigi

Hi Luigi,

I compared the DM kit to the scale plans in the Detail & Scale book, and it scales out pretty accurate against those plans, with just the wing span being just slightly long. The fuselage scaled out nicely too. However, I do see what you mean when compared to the Italeri kit. The DM fuselage and spine are a little fatter, and the canopy is longer and flatter. However, which is correct, and which is not, I couldn't tell you. I do know that most people aren't going to notice it. I sure hope that Wolpack is still planning on doing their kit, because the DM kit is a real let down. Fred K.

9 hours ago, SERNAK said:

What a coincidence. I was just thinking about buying the F but, after reading your comments I thought let's just wait and see what Wolfpack will offer us as an alternative.

It is a shame that they forgotten to represent the details you mention. Particularly, the speed brakes because when the aircraft is parked these are dropped. so, basically we are talking about kit-bashing between Italeri's and Dream Model's kits if we want to make an accurate in details and shape F-5E and F.

Now, I have to admit as a scale modeller I am tempted to buy the E and F from Dream Model and see how I can improve them but, it is their prices that forbid me to do so.

To be sure the kit will build up into a nice representation of the Tiger II, and most modelers won't really care if the speed brakes are up and the canopy down, but for F-5 fans like us, the DM kit is a pretty weak attempt. It's really not much better than the 35 year old Italeri kit, namely the surface detail,  and in some area's, namely the speed brakes, its considerably worse.

I was also just looking at one of my old ESCI F-5B kits, and its the same thing.....   The DM kit isn't even better than molds produced 40 years ago! They could have really knocked the baseball out of the park with this, and instead they hit a grounder to the shortstop! And as you mentioned, it's pretty pricey for what you get.

I know that some folks will interpret this as me whining, but really, if DM had put out a kit of the F-4 Phantom with straight wing tips, or a Tomcat with one tail, can you imagine the uproar?? Very disappointing indeed 😕 Fred K.

Edited by f5guy
4 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Pretty good summary Fred. I've read similar reviews, with the same words. Sprue Brothers has had them on sale before, but I held off. The reasons you mentioned just cant justify the expense.

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You've made a wise choice my friend! There's just not much bang for the buck with the DM kit unfortunately. Take care, Fred.

I was really looking forward to this kit; hoping it was an up-to-date, detailed kit of the F-5E in 1/72....agree with comments said and the price? Forget it. Too bad, they did a good job with their 1/72 helicopter kits...

5 hours ago, f5guy said:

Hi Luigi,

I compared the DM kit to the scale plans in the Detail & Scale book, and it scales out pretty accurate against those plans, with just the wing span being just slightly long. The fuselage scaled out nicely too. However, I do see what you mean when compared to the Italeri kit. The DM fuselage and spine are a little fatter, and the canopy is longer and flatter. However, which is correct, and which is not, I couldn't tell you. I do know that most people aren't going to notice it. I sure hope that Wolpack is still planning on doing their kit, because the DM kit is a real let down. Fred K.

Thanks Fred ;D

Luigi

Yeah,

It's a big NO for me too!  Can't get over the price for bad/incorrect weps and limited detail in the cockpit and no open canopy detail!

Will build my Testors and Italeri kits as Air Force and Navy aggressor regular and shark-nosed kits, respectively.  At 63 with glaucoma beginning to set in and over 100 kits still in their boxes, I can't wait to chase after the "perfect kit of..." when I have some in hand that will serve the purpose!

Now, ALL I DO need are a nice TR-1/U-2S, a C-2 Greyhound (Hasegawa), an A-4AR (Fujimi), and a detailed Bo-105 PAH-1A1 (Italeri), all in 72nd scale, and I can quit the Hobby!

Cheers All,

WARDOG