Telford 2020 canceled

“To keep everyone safe.”

im genuinely curious what the endgame is for all of this.  What’s the threshold that has to be met to declare it, “safe.”  It seems no one has any idea.  We’re well past, “flatten the curve.”

Can’t fight it, but seriously:  what’s the endgame?

2 hours ago, Waco said:

“To keep everyone safe.”

im genuinely curious what the endgame is for all of this.  What’s the threshold that has to be met to declare it, “safe.”  It seems no one has any idea.  We’re well past, “flatten the curve.”

Can’t fight it, but seriously:  what’s the endgame?

It’s not going to really be “safe” until there is an effective vaccine and most everyone has received it.  The reality is that we’re going to just muddle along the best we can until that happens and accept that people will continue to get sick and some will die until that happens.

31 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

It’s not going to really be “safe” until there is an effective vaccine and most everyone has received it.  The reality is that we’re going to just muddle along the best we can until that happens and accept that people will continue to get sick and some will die until that happens.

It's a long discussion, I mean the one about words, their meaning, and how people use them and above all, how politicians tend to exploit them according to their agendas.

The virus has become endemic and that means that it's here to stay. What I MEANT with the word "safe" is the hope that people will develop an immunity to this virus to the extent that it won't be deadly when someone has it.

"effective vaccine"....hmmmmmm🤔

We'll either find an effective solution to Covid or we'll adapt our lifestyles to accommodate it (most likely a combination of the two).

Even if infection rates reduce massively over the next 12 months, Scale ModelWorld 2021 (and any other public event) will inevitably be laid out differently to ensure we are avoiding or mitigating any obvious opportunities for renewed transmission. We take the view that it's about finding new ways of doing things rather than sitting on our hands and hoping the problem will go away.

We now have 12 months to redesign SMW and make it successful and flexible enough to accommodate whatever restrictions might be in place by then - 12 months of learning from how other people are running their own events; 12 months of engaging with the venue staff to look at new ideas and solutions - and an extra 12 months to finish all those models that were never going to be finished for SMW 2020 anyway 😀

There are now cases of re-infection of people that have antibodies in their system against the virus.  It seems the virus mutated enough that the antibodies were not effective to stop the virus from re-infecting.  This makes me wonder if a vaccine might be useless if this virus mutates enough.  In that case maybe this virus is here to stay...much like the common cold of flu or aids.  Thanks to social distancing, I have not had a cold or the flu this year....which is not normal for me.  I usually pick up a cold every few months.

I'd love to go back to our old life, but I wonder if that will happen.

On 8/25/2020 at 8:52 PM, KenM said:

Yeah it was good here in Manitoba now it's worse SIGH.

Ken

Vancouver Island has 900,000 people and 2 deaths from C-19.  Canadian average is 2 deaths for 10,000 people.  Vancouver island was without virus for about 6 weeks....but now the virus is back in spades.

It’s not going to really be “safe” until there is an effective vaccine and most everyone has received it.”

So, never?  Given the fact this virus will continually mutate, like most coronaviruses, a vaccine will be, at best, minimally effective.  And given the number of people who’ve already said they will not get the vaccine, either because it’s been rushed and long term effects are unknown, or because they’re antivaxxers on principle, or because they’re conspiracy theorists, you’ll never get a majority vaccinated.

So...then what?  We never send kids back to school?  Cancel all major gatherings, assemblies, and events?

There’s no end game for this.  The iron final goal was to flatten the curve, and allow for sufficient medical resources.  Now that we’re past that...now what?  

There are no answers, just public shaming and bullying.

1 hour ago, Waco said:

It’s not going to really be “safe” until there is an effective vaccine and most everyone has received it.”

So, never?  Given the fact this virus will continually mutate, like most coronaviruses, a vaccine will be, at best, minimally effective.  And given the number of people who’ve already said they will not get the vaccine, either because it’s been rushed and long term effects are unknown, or because they’re antivaxxers on principle, or because they’re conspiracy theorists, you’ll never get a majority vaccinated.

So...then what?  We never send kids back to school?  Cancel all major gatherings, assemblies, and events?

There’s no end game for this.  The iron final goal was to flatten the curve, and allow for sufficient medical resources.  Now that we’re past that...now what?  

There are no answers, just public shaming and bullying.

So what answer are you actually looking for, or are you just being argumentative?  If YOU were in charge of things, what would you do?

The answer appears to be the same as how we are dealing with the flu.  Get a vaccine, try to update it to stay with the mutations and offer it each year for those who want it.   Those who pass on it live their lives and take their chances. We also take basic precautions to minimize the spread of the virus.  We also accept that every year we will have deaths from this disease, as we currently have from the flu.   We get back to normal life.  

The status quo is unsustainable, for multiple reasons.   

1 hour ago, Bill Staudt said:

I think once we have an approved vaccine (effective or not) the morality and responsibility will be on the individual that decides to attend events, and not on the events organizers. This will go a long way towards opening things back up.

Not sure I would put a lot of faith in individual responsibility, at least in certain countries.