As a kid in the 60s I had great fun building many Airfix aircraft models and hung them from my bedroom ceiling. Now that I am a retired old codger, I am considering revisiting my old hobby and getting a Spitfire model kit. However, the quality and complexity of modelling seems to have come a long way and I am confused on what kit to buy.  I have looked at Airfix, Revell and Mamiya and am a but concerned that they may be a little too advanced for me. Can anybody recommend an appropriate kit to start off with and/or point me to any other relevant information on this forum. 

If you want real simple and easy you might try some of the snap-fit type kits. They don't require glue, have a low part count and are generally very easy to assemble. If you are looking into getting into building models again as a more serious hobby, then the Tamiya kit that Ken suggested is the way to go. Here's a link to a snap-fit kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Hobby-Snap-Spitfire-Mark/dp/B000K8EBDE

8 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Thanks Mstor, I have followed Ken’s advice and ordered the Tamiya kit and also a tool kit, so fingers crossed. All I need now is some cement and I’m all set! - lol

You cant go wrong with Tamiya. You say it's been a LONG time since you have built anything as you wait I highly suggest Youtube and some build review videos. AT times they can be a big help.

16 hours ago, RobbieB said:

concerned that they may be a little too advanced for me. Can anybody recommend an appropriate kit to start off with and/or point me to any other relevant information on this forum. 

They're not too advanced for you. On the contrary, the new moulds offer details that as a young teenager you would probably needed to create from scratch.

If you're interested on a Spitfire for me, there are two choices. Either go for the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire which is a very nice kit, or, for the 1/48, again, from Airfix. I've got the 1/72 built and now I'm thinking of buying a second one just for the joy and simplicity this kit offers.

Of course, there is also the good (maybe!) old 1/24 Airfix Spitfire!!!

7 hours ago, viper730 said:

You cant go wrong with Tamiya. You say it's been a LONG time since you have built anything as you wait I highly suggest Youtube and some build review videos. AT times they can be a big help.

Thanks, I have found a few on Youtube and will look at them.

Thank you all for the good advice. I have also ordered a Pegasus Hurricane kit as suggested by habu2 which I will kick off with. I will then have the two foremost British fighter planes of WWII.  Will bring back memories of seeing them fly at Biggin Hill air show in the 60s.

I am sure I will be back in this forum with a question or two.  Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Almost finished the Pegasus Hurricane kit. Great advice starting with this as it was a good re-introduction and learnt lots including through the many informative Youtube videos. Made a few mistakes, but looking forward to my next challenge which is a Tamiya Spitfire.