Which chinpod for F-14A (1974) VF-1 Wolfpack modex 100

Hi all,

Building the GWH F-14A with the Wolfpack markings (1974) - great kit, amazing details, horrible instructions (missed parts and so many mistakes!).  I can't seem to decide upon which chinpod configuration to use for the modex 100 bird BuNos 158979 (1974)

I see that almost every bird in the squadron has a different chinpod configuration depending on when the pictures were taken.  I'm torn between the IR Sensor with the ALQ-100 antenna underneath or just the smaller ALQ-100 antenna underneath.  If its just the smaller ALQ antenna, then I have to use a Hasegawa spare as the GWH only has the IR pod and ElectroOptical pod with the ALQ.  It does have the best representation of the back turkey feathers over the wing slot of any kit (both versions separately for wings out and in) and puts the Hasegawas to shame.  So many optional parts but you have to be very careful when building because the instructions are wrong.

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that the undernose fit can be changed out at the squadron level, so theoretically the IR seeker or ALQ-100 antenna are valid options (similar to the mid/late 80s units with TCS vs the "bullet" fairing when there weren't enough camera systems for the whole fleet).

That said, for Wichita 100 in 1974 I believe the ALQ-100 would be the normal fit, as seen in this photo:

cf128d412f02d54dc4dd92e81776226f.jpg

Instructions for Fightertown Decals' early Wolfpack sheet also indicate ALQ-100 for this airframe at that time.

There was at least one VF-1 bird that had black trim on the canopy. I remember seeing it in a photo in the old Aero book on the F-14. Also, several issues of the Airfix kit had decals with black trim on the canopy rails. Someday, that is the one I want to add to my Vietnam collection. Looked really sharp.

5 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

There was at least one VF-1 bird that had black trim on the canopy. I remember seeing it in a photo in the old Aero book on the F-14. Also, several issues of the Airfix kit had decals with black trim on the canopy rails. Someday, that is the one I want to add to my Vietnam collection. Looked really sharp.

I believe the VF-1 Tomcat with black canopy rails was BuNo 158627, Wichita 101 - reportedly the first F-14 delivered to the squadron.  In 1/48 it's another option on the Fightertown sheet. In God's Own Scale (aka 1/72), it was done by Microscale waaaayyyy back on sheet 72-119.

VF-1 F-14A Wichita 101

Edited by Quixote74

Just pick a photo of the jet you want to build and build it in that configuration at that time.  You’ll go stir crazy trying to nut out the whys, where’s and what’s of it all.  Just build.

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor
6 hours ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

Just pick a photo of the jet you want to build and build it in that configuration at that time.  You’ll go stir crazy trying to nut out the whys, where’s and what’s of it all.  Just build.

+1 on that. My understanding was that they had a limited number of the IR sensor chin pods and they got passed between the various airframes. Maybe so everyone got some air time with them? So chances are the airframe you want to build might have had it installed at some time, or maybe not, who knows. :naughty:

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

+1 on that. My understanding was that they had a limited number of the IR sensor chin pods and they got passed between the various airframes. Maybe so everyone got some air time with them? So chances are the airframe you want to build might have had it installed at some time, or maybe not, who knows. :naughty:

Agreed.  I’ve studied this one for years on the Tomcat.  Unless serving in the Navy on a squadron or know someone in the know, it’s not really important at the end of the day when it comes down to scale modelling.  I gave up trying to be so accurate all the time.

Reasons can be serviceability, Air time, operational, front line fleet requirements, the list goes on.

Just build what you want or to photographic proof rather than trying to second guess stuff.  It drives you nuts otherwise.

Thanks!  That 101 with the black canopy rails is beautiful - it doesn't have the white nose with the radome tan portion which was always iconic to me.  I have the ALQ from Hasegawa on there, funny it looks a bit small on the GWH kit - maybe its because I'm always used to seeing it with a IR or ElectroOptical attached. 

Another question, how about the hydraulic actuators on the rear airbrakes, from what I see, the top ones are white inside the red well and brakes and the bottom ones are red inside the red well and brakes?

56 minutes ago, wm_cheng said:

Thanks!  That 101 with the black canopy rails is beautiful - it doesn't have the white nose with the radome tan portion which was always iconic to me.  I have the ALQ from Hasegawa on there, funny it looks a bit small on the GWH kit - maybe its because I'm always used to seeing it with a IR or ElectroOptical attached. 

Another question, how about the hydraulic actuators on the rear airbrakes, from what I see, the top ones are white inside the red well and brakes and the bottom ones are red inside the red well and brakes?

The actuators themselves on the airbrakes are white with a chrome piston as normal with any hydraulic cylinder. There are no actuators underneath as they are interconnecting push rods between the top and and bottom airbrake panels.

5 hours ago, wm_cheng said:

Oh, thanks, so are the pushrods red or white?

The push rods, airbrake panels and the airbrake bays are all red.  Only the actuator cylinders are white with the chrome pistons.

See picture here:

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-speedbrake-01.htm

On 8/27/2020 at 12:49 AM, wm_cheng said:

Hi all,

Building the GWH F-14A with the Wolfpack markings (1974) - great kit, amazing details, horrible instructions (missed parts and so many mistakes!).  I can't seem to decide upon which chinpod configuration to use for the modex 100 bird BuNos 158979 (1974)

I see that almost every bird in the squadron has a different chinpod configuration depending on when the pictures were taken.  I'm torn between the IR Sensor with the ALQ-100 antenna underneath or just the smaller ALQ-100 antenna underneath.  If its just the smaller ALQ antenna, then I have to use a Hasegawa spare as the GWH only has the IR pod and ElectroOptical pod with the ALQ.  It does have the best representation of the back turkey feathers over the wing slot of any kit (both versions separately for wings out and in) and puts the Hasegawas to shame.  So many optional parts but you have to be very careful when building because the instructions are wrong.

Thanks in advance.

This Detail & Scale edition has several pictures of early (1974-1975) Wolfpack F-14A's...

SDSTZFP.jpg

Photographs herein (plus others) reveal that at least the following VF-1 aircraft had the enlarged (infrared) chin pod c. 1974-75:

NK 102 BuNo 158996

NK 103 BuNo 158990

NK 104 BuNo 158998

NK 105 BuNo 158984

NK 107 BuNo 158982

NK 111 BuNo 158993 

NK 114 BuNo 159000

Hope this helps,

Rich

Edited by RichB63
On 8/31/2020 at 1:58 PM, RichB63 said:

This Detail & Scale edition has several pictures of early (1974-1975) Wolfpack F-14A's...

SDSTZFP.jpg

Photographs herein (plus others) reveal that at least the following VF-1 aircraft had the enlarged (infrared) chin pod c. 1974-75:

NK 102 BuNo 158996

NK 103 BuNo 158990

NK 104 BuNo 158998

NK 105 BuNo 158984

NK 107 BuNo 158982

NK 111 BuNo 158993 

NK 114 BuNo 159000

Hope this helps,

Rich

Correction - The chin pod on the A and B models is not infra-red, it’s a  radar guided tv camera.  Only the D model had the infra-red as well as the tv camera system.

1 hour ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

Correction - The chin pod on the A and B models is not infra-red, it’s a  radar guided tv camera.  Only the D model had the infra-red as well as the tv camera system.

The very early Tomcats had an IR tracker which were soon replaced with the TCS, for a 1974 period Tomcat having the original IR Sensor would be accurate.

22 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

The very early Tomcats had an IR tracker which were soon replaced with the TCS, for a 1974 period Tomcat having the original IR Sensor would be accurate.

That is correct but they were mostly used on the development aircraft and not on the fleet jets.

1 hour ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

That is correct but they were mostly used on the development aircraft and not on the fleet jets.

That is incorrect, the IRST Sensors were fitted to the aircraft during their work ups for the 74/75 cruise and were installed during the initial part of the cruise.

Here is the 74/75 cruise book, you can look through it and find pictures of the IRST installed on VF-1's aircraft.

Also, here are numerous pics of VF-1 aircraft with the IRST installed taken in the 74/75 time period.

http://www.f-14association.com/gallery/vf-1.html

yk7tmva89hvy.jpg

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Ff%2Ff3%2FF-14A_Tomcat_of_VF-1_in_flight_near_Hawaii_on_28_September_1974_%28NNAM.1996.253.7417.051%29.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AF-14A_Tomcat_of_VF-1_in_flight_near_Hawaii_on_28_September_1974_(NNAM.1996.253.7417.051).jpg&tbnid=Z5K1JVesA4iHkM&vet=12ahUKEwjzlJfSrcnrAhWCEN8KHWJaCjwQMygCegUIARCqAg..i&docid=dQt779nvUyqFIM&w=2853&h=2208&q=VF-1 1974&ved=2ahUKEwjzlJfSrcnrAhWCEN8KHWJaCjwQMygCegUIARCqAg

wolf-5-F-14A-158996-NK-102-VF-1-at-NAS.M

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/475340935672579940/?d=t&mt=login

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/695876579897206606/

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2F8%2F80%2FGrumman_F-14A_Tomcats_of_VF-1_aboard_USS_Enterprise_%28CVAN-65%29_on_14_September_1974_%28428-GX-K-105909%29.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AGrumman_F-14A_Tomcats_of_VF-1_aboard_USS_Enterprise_(CVAN-65)_on_14_September_1974_(428-GX-K-105909).jpg&tbnid=1lCiGuTRfETt3M&vet=12ahUKEwjzlJfSrcnrAhWCEN8KHWJaCjwQMygdegUIARDmAg..i&docid=QHXkKY7N3rf1JM&w=2956&h=2152&itg=1&q=VF-1 1974&ved=2ahUKEwjzlJfSrcnrAhWCEN8KHWJaCjwQMygdegUIARDmAg

It was either during the cruise or shortly there after IRST's were removed but they were installed during the work up cycle and when they went aboard for their first cruise. Maybe not every aircraft had one but a good number of them did.

Interesting modeling note: Notice how the saturation of the red bands of the VF-1 markings change as they go from the gray fuselage to the white radome (same on the rudder/fin). So, you say your decals are too thin and show the color demarcation lines underneath? Oh stop complaining!🙂

On 8/27/2020 at 2:24 PM, Paul Boyer said:

8JHGwvF.jpg