New ads on the ARC forums

I earn less than $1 for each hour I work on ARC, which makes the past 20 years very much a labor of love.

Recently google sent me a message complaining about the "content" on a post in the forums that they said went against their policies.  I checked the post and the entire thread and there was nothing that violated their policies.  Rather than try to launch a complaint, I simply removed all google ads from the forums.

I decided to replace the Google ads on the forums with my own ads for my wife's youtube channel.   My hope is to one day get my wife's youtube channel monetized and make a bit of money, which will help keep me at home working on ARC rather than having to get a second job help pay our bills.

My second job was driving a tour bus doing tours for tourists off the cruise ships in my city.  That job disappeared for this year, but will eventually return.

I would prefer to avoid that job and instead devote my time to ARC.  So when you see me promoting my wife's youtube channel on ARC, I think you can understand how her youtube channel might help ARC quite a bit.

I would like to thank everyone on ARC that watches our videos, the support from the ARC community has been quite heart warming and it has helped greatly to build our channel and get it closer to being monetized.

Thanks for your understanding and continued support , it is much appreciated.

5 hours ago, SBARC said:

Recently google sent me a message complaining about the "content" on a post in the forums that they said went against their policies.

That brings to mind an international friend from back in the days where Google Plus was a thing & this in yesterday's email from them,

These days one never knows when a platform might find something against you and pause your account, like it happened on Instagram with me when I hadn't even posted anything for several days!! Weird!

Probably google being more n a z i as probably someone told them that they are too soft applying everything is racist agenda rules, which are getting forced everywhere by many brands because whatever reasons being posted through twitter hashtags.

Couple of years ago they went after a scale model builder YT channel because he was building only german stuff

I've lost track of some bearded British man forging huge fantasy swords and I fear his channel is lost or got hidden by search logarithmic

YT search is a mess, I remember being able to find stuff we regulars recorded on a OFP server and now it seems to be lost

More than 10 years ago I usually played on a CoD UO server which mostly run  LoTR maps and admins were always streaming and recording through Youtube and everything seems to be lost, only one video survives

Steam/Valve from time to time accidentally bans people because their avatar is taken from the folder of official avatars available from Red Orchestra game which guess what? It has a Wehrmacht soldier on it, yet there are no double S nor shows any kind of "oppression" symbols, but, but an avatar of a soldier of the Soviet Union it's fine.

Back on YT months ago a channel hosting lots and lots of folklore songs got nuked because "hate and oppression" reasons

Sooner or later Google will start to auto correct stuff like Blizzard does because modern players can't withstand a mere GG-EZ

If the clown world wants it's own hugbox they should start to build one and not force people to adapt to their rules

Luigi

I understand why you did it, but now when the wife uses my phone next time, I'll guess I'm gonna have to explain why there's a half naked lady on my modeling page.

I'm a preacher, so you'll have to just understand!!!

Tim

On 8/28/2020 at 2:00 PM, SBARC said:

Clicking on the ad and it will take you to my wife's youtube channel.

Here is the link also. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA9LuGwcqw3koX1obREeg4w/videos

Hmm, would that count as kitbashing?

How to make a fancy skirt from a table cloth

Mar 30, 2020

6 hours ago, Just call me Ray said:

So I'm just noticing this for the first time but have you considered a Patreon account? Or getting more direct sponsorship outside of Google?

Thanks very much for the suggestion.  I will be moving in that direction. 

Once my wife's youtube channel in established enough, I will also launch my own youtube channel using her channel to promote my youtube channel.  Her account will focus on smaller common automotive repairs and my channel will focus on more complicated repairs and full restorations.

We'll be looking into a Patreon account account somewhere in there.

8 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Hmm, would that count as kitbashing?

:rofl:

She loves to sew...but those videos don't get much traffic....so I gave her a new suggestion for her channel.

I suggested she "Do videos of fixing cars and provide a bikini intermission."  She loved the idea.....and she loves wearing bikinis.

In theory it should be popular....we shall see.

She wants to shoot piles of beach video the next time we are in the Philippines.

9 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

I understand why you did it, but now when the wife uses my phone next time, I'll guess I'm gonna have to explain why there's a half naked lady on my modeling page.

I'm a preacher, so you'll have to just understand!!!

Tim

Yup....that is why I added the text under the ads.  So people could better understand the bigger picture.

9 hours ago, Mizar said:

Probably google being more n a z i as probably someone told them that they are too soft applying everything is racist agenda rules, which are getting forced everywhere by many brands because whatever reasons being posted through twitter hashtags.

Couple of years ago they went after a scale model builder YT channel because he was building only german stuff

I've lost track of some bearded British man forging huge fantasy swords and I fear his channel is lost or got hidden by search logarithmic

YT search is a mess, I remember being able to find stuff we regulars recorded on a OFP server and now it seems to be lost

More than 10 years ago I usually played on a CoD UO server which mostly run  LoTR maps and admins were always streaming and recording through Youtube and everything seems to be lost, only one video survives

Steam/Valve from time to time accidentally bans people because their avatar is taken from the folder of official avatars available from Red Orchestra game which guess what? It has a Wehrmacht soldier on it, yet there are no double S nor shows any kind of "oppression" symbols, but, but an avatar of a soldier of the Soviet Union it's fine.

Back on YT months ago a channel hosting lots and lots of folklore songs got nuked because "hate and oppression" reasons

Sooner or later Google will start to auto correct stuff like Blizzard does because modern players can't withstand a mere GG-EZ

If the clown world wants it's own hugbox they should start to build one and not force people to adapt to their rules

Luigi

I do admit dancing with YT is much like dancing with Google.  I have heard lots of channels being de-monetized for various odd reasons.  Bashing China or mentioning C-19 can get you de-monetized very quickly.  It seems the channels that do the best are G rated family friendly channels.

17 hours ago, SBARC said:

Why what happened?  It sounds like you might have a funny story to tell.  :woot.gif:

One of the first images displayed in the Google search results for the AN/APS-4 Radar introduced me to "cross species erotica" showing a very nude woman shoving an octopus in to her nether regions.  Certainlyan eye-opening moment and I do hope the poor octopus survived the encounter.

8 hours ago, SBARC said:

She loves to sew...but those videos don't get much traffic....so I gave her a new suggestion for her channel.

I don't sew but my brother makes his own clothes for American War of Independence reenacting and is quite good at it.

Closest I get to making clothes is occasionally sketching ideas for characters in a sci-fi story I every now and then play at writing.

Watched several of Mai's sewing videos, her outfits have nice, simple, classy, lines.

5 hours ago, jeffryfontaine said:

One of the first images displayed in the Google search results for the AN/APS-4 Radar introduced me to "cross species erotica" showing a very nude woman shoving an octopus in to her nether regions.  Certainlyan eye-opening moment and I do hope the poor octopus survived the encounter.

Yikes....I've not stumbled on a video like that before.  I guess the internet has quite a few surprising things on it.  Poor Octopus.

2 hours ago, southwestforests said:

I don't sew but my brother makes his own clothes for American War of Independence reenacting and is quite good at it.

Closest I get to making clothes is occasionally sketching ideas for characters in a sci-fi story I every now and then play at writing.

Watched several of Mai's sewing videos, her outfits have nice, simple, classy, lines.

Your brother sounds quite talented.  I've wanted to get into sewing so I can do automotive upholstery.

Mai does have a fashion sense.  She'll buy clothes on sale and revamp them into something completely different.  She has a keen eye and imagination for fashion.  She can also buy any clothes and resize them to fit her like a glove and I've seen her do this with a pair of jeans that were 2 sizes to large for her.

On 8/30/2020 at 2:10 AM, SBARC said:

Thanks very much for the suggestion.  I will be moving in that direction. 

Once my wife's youtube channel in established enough, I will also launch my own youtube channel using her channel to promote my youtube channel.  Her account will focus on smaller common automotive repairs and my channel will focus on more complicated repairs and full restorations.

We'll be looking into a Patreon account account somewhere in there.

On 8/30/2020 at 2:16 AM, SBARC said:

:rofl:

I suggested she "Do videos of fixing cars and provide a bikini intermission."  She loved the idea.....and she loves wearing bikinis.

In theory it should be popular....we shall see.

She wants to shoot piles of beach video the next time we are in the Philippines.

So here's the thing you really, really need to be aware of. Umm, actually, several things:

- first your wife might want to consider starting that sewing channel after all. You'd be surprised how much attention sewing channels get but more importantly having multiple channels certainly doesn't hurt and in fact they synergisticly support each other, provided it doesn't lead to burnout. If there's two things to take away from what I'm trying to say here, this is #1.

- Second, Google literally owns YouTube, as in they are the parent company, so many of the same issues you encountered with Google Ads might just come up again.

- This is why many channels, especially car repair channels, have Patreons and direct sponsorships. I highly recommend you and your wife watch the following: Hoovie's Garage, Doug DeMuro, Scotty Kilmer, ChrisFix, and Donut Media. They're the biggest automotive channels out there and they're less supported by YouTube's own ad system as they are supported by third party sponsorship. This is where the guy running the channel pretty much just blankly stares at the camera and starts unironically hocking some product, be it MVM Watches, Raycon Earbuds, Manscaped manscaping kits, Dollar Shave Club subscription services, Vite Ramen subscription services, Raid: Shadow Legends mobile game etc (yes these are all very real products that all of these guys have had on their channels). Most of their money comes from reaching out to sponsors or answering sponsors' direct solicitations, but yes many of these are just scams or otherwise unsavory, unfortunately I have no advice there but there are (ironically, I guess?) videos on YouTube that talk about this issue.

^ That would be Takeaway Item #2, BTW

- and this is probably going to take a very, very long while. I mean look I really love ARC despite me not frequently posting here or really being in the hobby anymore, I've been a registered member since...I dunno, literally last millennium? So I'm genuinely not really fond of saying this, but the objective truth is that I don't think this place has the traffic that will make any channel appreciably grow. Some word-of-mouth spreading helps but most of it is just going to have to play by the rules of the YouTube algorithm, which is a great mystery and just leads back to my second point about how this more or less ends up looping back to the the whole Google problem that started this.

But it is a solid concept, I feel. That is legitimately extremely important.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:36 AM, jeffryfontaine said:

One of the first images displayed in the Google search results for the AN/APS-4 Radar introduced me to "cross species erotica" showing a very nude woman shoving an octopus in to her nether regions.  

*proceeds to immediately Google AN/APS-4 Radar*😈

Edited by Just call me Ray
can't resist an opportunity to be an old perv
20 minutes ago, Just call me Ray said:

*proceeds to immediately Google AN/APS-4 Radar*😈

Your search results may vary.  My original search on the AN/APS-4 Radar was about fifteen years ago and the search algorithms used by Google have been changed since.  Fortunately the same search more recently and again, without restrictions did not produce the same image search results with the young lady abusing the octopus  🙂

3 hours ago, Just call me Ray said:

*proceeds to immediately Google AN/APS-4 Radar*

Dang, didn't work for me. All I got was a bunch of stuff about radar. :angry:

One thing to remember about Google, as great as they are, they are very intrusive and like to keep track of where everyone goes and that they do. I won't use Chrome for that very reason (well, I do use it if I want to quickly translate a foreign language site).