1/48 Freedom Models X-47B UCAS

My next build is the 1/48 Freedom Models X-47B US Navy UCAS. This is an Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) built by Northrop Grumman. It is essentially a semi-autonomous limited combat aircraft with two weapons bays. It is designed for use on an aircraft carrier to supply reconnaissance and identify targets for the air wing. With its stealth and ordinance capability it can take out a target that could be an immediate threat. It can also be refueled in the air for extended range.  Only two flying demonstrators were built.

Since there is no “cockpit” for a pilot to sit in, I decided to super detail the landing gear and weapons bays. I started by priming the bays with white primer. Next I worked on the landing gear. For the nose gear I drilled into the landing light to form a concave hole. This was then painted chrome silver. Once dry I filled the void with acrylic gel to form the landing light lens. I then added some 32 gauge wiring for the cables and hoses. I then use foil tape for the cable ties. This will be weathered later just prior to install. The main gear has the duel hard lines with bare 32 gauge wire then using black coated wires for attaching inside the bay.

I then started to detail the bays. I used black, blue wire and green wires for the different uses and then cut thin strips of foil tape for the cable ties and mounts. I am currently working on scratch building the hoses then moving on to the weapons. The kit comes with two JDAM bombs so I need to build and detail them.

You can see all the photos and details in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-x-47b-ucas/

dscn4222.jpg

dscn4223.jpg

dscn4229.jpg

dscn4231.jpg

dscn4237.jpg

dscn4244.jpg

dscn4249.jpg

It's your model, and you're free to do whatever you want with it, but in reality the X-47 was completely incapable of carrying any type of weapon, and the "weapon" bays were filled with orange test instrumentation boxes.  I'm not sure that they even had doors, per se, but rather access panels that were held closed with a bunch of screws. 

35 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

It's your model, and you're free to do whatever you want with it, but in reality the X-47 was completely incapable of carrying any type of weapon, and the "weapon" bays were filled with orange test instrumentation boxes.  I'm not sure that they even had doors, per se, but rather access panels that were held closed with a bunch of screws. 

That would be in 2012 when both AV-1 and AV-2 were being tested in Pax River for electronic warfare and when we did the carrier testing. In 2015 AV-2 had working bomb bays and refueling capabilities. The refueling testing was done around April 2015. We then completed all the primary testing and started getting ready for the next phase but the program ended in early 2016 just before we could start testing the strike capabilities.

This week’s update on the X-47B UCAS covers the detailing of the bays.  After I use wire for the cables and hydraulic lines I used some styrene rods for the large hoses. For the orange hose I used foil tape for the clamps. I used some black vinyl tape and foil tape to make the hose connector on each one. Towards the aft I sleeved the shaped styrene rod with a braided sleeve and foil tape for the connectors. I assembled, painted and applied decals to the JDAM bombs. The decals that come with the kit had the white base slightly off register from the colors. The decals are also a little on the thicker side so they required a little more solvent to conform and lay down. This kit does not come with any clear parts. I trimmed off the upper and lower wing tip lights so I can make my own lenses. The base coat of painting was done and all the gear and bomb bay doors were painted. The instructions call out to use gunship gray but all the reference photos show the aircraft was painted dark ghost gray. The tail hook was painted and installed and the JDAM’s were put in the bays. I am working on the numerous decals then onto the final assembly and details.

You can see all the photos and details in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-x-47b-ucas/

dscn4253.jpg

dscn4260.jpg

dscn4261.jpg

dscn4263.jpg

dscn4264.jpg

dscn4266.jpg

Looking good! Would have been cool for it to have made it to WEPS testing part of the program. I was out on the boat when you guys were out there doing taxi, and ship board movement,  testing, and have seen them in the hangar in Pax while being there for a few weeks to take over the T-45 program from Boeing to L3/Vertex Aerospace. I even got the poster to prove it!! LOL! So I am a fan of the X-47Bdrone7.jpgdrone1.jpg.

The X-47B is now finished! First I need to bring up another issue. As I was applying decals a fellow modeler commented on one of the Facebook groups that the “Beware of Blast” decals were misspelled. I had already put the decals on the aircraft. So I looked at them and they say “Be Were of Blast”. They were carefully removed and I made my own with the correct spelling. Lastly I used some clear sprue trees and made the wingtip lights. These were shaped, sanded and polished. I trimmed the molded in one and put the clear ones on and painted them with Tamiya clear red and clear green paints.

The overall kit was very good. It would be better but the decals being off register and the misspelling. For fit it was very good and the instructions were well thought out. The decals actually applied well. They do give you options for different schemes, however they only give you instructions for two schemes so you are left with a few decals with no reference to designate where they go.  One final note, when I was reviewing the photos I took I kept thinking that the front on shots remind me of the alien fighters in the movie “Independence Day”  with the intake looking like the front windscreen.  Thank you for following along with the build of this unusual aircraft.

dscn4272.jpg

dscn4275.jpg

dscn4276.jpg

dscn4279.jpg

dscn4280.jpg

dscn4283.jpg

dscn4288.jpg

dscn4289.jpg

dscn4294.jpg

dscn4297.jpg

dscn4300.jpg