Tail Colors F-16

Hi everybody! I've been away for the hobby for a while, this is my first post in a very, very long time. 

I'm building an F-16CJ based out of Misawa AB, Japan. Instructions call for yellow and red colors at the top of the vertical stabilizer. Just curious, what's the significance of those colors?

Very glad to be back!

In general, since the Vietnam war USAF tactical types have carried decorative bands at/near the top of their vertical fins that represent the squadron assignment.  Since just after Vietnam, the two-letter tailcodes represent the wing assignment (frequently corresponding to the base name). Wing and squadron badges are also worn, usually with wing on the port forward fuselage, squadron to starboard.

In the case of Misawa, the wing identity and tailcode was changed in the early 1990s from the 432 TFW/MJ ("Misawa Japan") to the 35 Fighter Wing/WW ("Wild Weasel" - a more prestigious code because of the specialized role).

If your model has a red and yellow tail band, it most likely represents the "Wing King" in charge of both assigned squadrons: the 13th FS (red) and 14th FS (yellow).  I'm guessing that the wing number is shown under the WW tailcode?  Standard markings would just have the "last three" serial number under the code, e.g.  AF FY - XXX (FY being the fiscal year the airframe was purchased). The wing CO usually also wears all of the squadron's badges, presentation style and location varying.

F-16.net PACAF Units Page

If the colors on the tailband are devided forward/aft, the color at the leading edge (forward) indicates the squadron the King originated from. That's why sometimes you could see them beeing swapped around if there's a command change.

A cool derivative was the Aviano 89-2137 AV's 31st OG, which had the colors green and purple devided diagonaly. They also were swapped around indicating other timeframes.

Spangdahlem's 52nd's Wing King had for example lightning bolts in red, yellow and blue, indicating the 23rd, 81st and 22nd FS. After loosing one squadron of F-16s they lost the blue, as the 480th used red, and after the 81st disbanded, red was only left and it used the standard 480th banner.

Thanks! I appreciate the detailed information.  Your description of the markings fits exactly with the markings of the subject I'm building. It also explains something else I was curious about. (The pilot is a Lt. General.) 

Thanks again ...

10 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Spangdahlem's 52nd's Wing King had for example lightning bolts in red, yellow and blue, indicating the 23rd, 81st and 22nd FS. After loosing one squadron of F-16s they lost the blue, as the 480th used red, and after the 81st disbanded, red was only left and it used the standard 480th banner.

Not quite. the 52FW had 22FS and 23FS as their flying units, however when they lost one squadron they disbanded both and instead stood up 480FS as the new flying unit of the 52FW. Incidently, both the 22FS and the 480FS have red tailbands. This happened back on August 13, 2010. The leftover planes went to the 148FW 179FS Minnesota ANG. 

14 hours ago, DropD said:

Thanks! I appreciate the detailed information.  Your description of the markings fits exactly with the markings of the subject I'm building. It also explains something else I was curious about. (The pilot is a Lt. General.) 

Thanks again ...

If the name is for a Lt. Gen, then you are referring to a numbered Air Force commander. So probably in your case you are doing the 5AF coded aircraft, which is the same as the explanations above.