Model mfr. quality scale?

Like Kurt, I've been involved in the hobby for a very long time, as well as a business.  I started building models of one kind or another back around 1949, then a founding member of IPMS/USA in 1964 (IPMS/USA #2)  and a business since 1967.  Not just business either, since I also am a professional writer with most of my writing focusing on how-to, kit reviews and aviation history.  That said, I'll say the same thing Kurt and others have.  Just ask.  We're happy to help.  Remember, asking is how you learn...besides building models...so no question is stupid or foolish.

You possibly could "rank" manufacturers as far as consistent quality vs not as many good kits as other makers. BUT that's not going to really help you make a choice for buying a good model. It would only be useful if you're interested in simply knowing who makes more consistent quality kits. But like many are saying, each kit is it's own thing. Some are good, some are great, and some just suck regardless of who made it. Also, I know it's not the genre's you're looking for but Bandai is pretty darn consistently good at making great kits.

3 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

For the PBY - Academy has a 1/72 series, and in 1/48 Revell released a 1/48th kit in at least 2 variants in the late 90s. It is a modern kit with engraved panel lines. I seem to remember the major concern about the kit is that the rear fuselage and tail is too wide... or something like that. 

Minicraft released a 1/72 Mariner in 2013 which looks good in the box but I am uncertain if there are any concerns about the kit. 

modelingmadness.com is a good site with over 20 years of kit previews and full build reviews. This can also help you get a good idea of what to expect with a given kit. 

It just takes time, I "just know things" because I hatve been involved in the hobby since the 80s. So I have seen and read about a lot of kits. It is hard to transfer a lifetime of knowledge, so just ask questions, and we are happy to help.

just signed up at modelmadness, thanks!

I've also jumped on Scalemates recently.  It seems any search I do comes up with that site.  Not too excited about the forum communication type but for the model in question it pulls up a pretty cool '201' trove of intel on it.

I sprayed two models back in the early 2000's with my testors Aztec and that is my next goal for the 2020 bench is to set up the compressor and create a booth to bring that fledgling skill into play.

perhaps I'll start a new thread or go search that forum topic.

cheers.

If you want to throw kits together, and just want to build all the dall together kits, for sure a ranking matters. 

However, if you're wanting to learn new skills and add unusual subjects to your collection, have a go at some of the less highly ranked kits. ALL kits are buildable, but some do take a lot more work than others. 

When youre not intimidated by the less than fall-together kits, you won't worry about how other people rank kits 🙂

Grab some cheap "unbuildables" and have a go 😄

unbuildable!!!   ???  

I think HeavyArty pointed out the old Revell Cayuse in 1/32 might fit this bill correct?

I've got two Matchbox Pumas to look at as well?

here's my paint booth/ air brush thread:   

Like all the other replies, the following is just my personal opinion:

There is NO  WAY I would put Kinetic, Trumpeter & Hobby Booboo near the top of the list, as long as you are talking about aircraft models.

I have heard that Kinetic's new "Gold" standard kits are FINALLY top quality, but their earlier releases leave a LOT to be desired in the parts fit and correct detail departments.

Trumpeter & Hobby Booboo make too many blatant errors in their kits for me to EVER take them seriously again. I have wasted enough money on them, and have put most of their started kits on my "Shelf Of Doom". What's strange is that their armor kits are very nice, and I will get more of them, if they fit into my build themes.

Next to Zhengdefu you can also put Mach 2 kits from France. I have never found one that is accurate and easy to build. They all have horrible fit.

For the rest of your list, it all depends on the subject matter. I think they all have some good kits and some bad ones. Like it has been mentioned by others, you need to ask for opinions on the various forums and also look into build reviews. Modelling Madness and Cybermodeler are both good sites as they tell it like it is, unlike a certain "Barney" forum where they don't like to upset the companies that send them free kits to review.

Again, all the above is just my personal opinion.

Larry

7 hours ago, Bounce said:

Then seeing some of the stash sales I couldn't help myself so I've expanded kit types to include WWII (pacific theater mostly) and some modern aircraft. (korean era USAF fighters and these beautiful russian fighters like the Sukhois...the aesthetics are really attractive to me)

And flying boats / float planes seems to be my latest desire.

This comment tends to support my theory that most stashes are about quantity, not quality.

Although some might say quantity has a quality all its own...

Edited by habu2
On 9/4/2020 at 7:56 PM, ReccePhreak said:

Like all the other replies, the following is just my personal opinion:

There is NO  WAY I would put Kinetic, Trumpeter & Hobby Booboo near the top of the list, as long as you are talking about aircraft models.

I have heard that Kinetic's new "Gold" standard kits are FINALLY top quality, but their earlier releases leave a LOT to be desired in the parts fit and correct detail departments.

Trumpeter & Hobby Booboo make too many blatant errors in their kits for me to EVER take them seriously again. I have wasted enough money on them, and have put most of their started kits on my "Shelf Of Doom". What's strange is that their armor kits are very nice, and I will get more of them, if they fit into my build themes.

Next to Zhengdefu you can also put Mach 2 kits from France. I have never found one that is accurate and easy to build. They all have horrible fit.

For the rest of your list, it all depends on the subject matter. I think they all have some good kits and some bad ones. Like it has been mentioned by others, you need to ask for opinions on the various forums and also look into build reviews. Modelling Madness and Cybermodeler are both good sites as they tell it like it is, unlike a certain "Barney" forum where they don't like to upset the companies that send them free kits to review.

Again, all the above is just my personal opinion.

Larry

I agree with your comments Larry. I am surprised no one mentioned Kitty Hawk in all of this. Aside from their Banshee issues most of their kits are fairly accurate if a bit too fiddly. I think their interest in making their kits with so many individual parts the engineering of their kits fall a little short. Things like doors not fitting completely into opening if you desire them to be closed.  

• 4 weeks later...