Status of potential 1/48 Eduard Hurricane Mk 1?

Hi All,

I know this has been discussed before, but does anyone have any insight on a future 1/48 Eduard Hurricane Mk. 1?  I noticed, in the Eduard September monthly newsletter, that they mention a new part, a dashboard for a Hurricane Mk 1. (part number Look 644065) which refers to being applicable to an Eduard kit, but then in the details, says 'Recommended Kit: Airfix'.  I wonder if that reference to Eduard in the larger type was a typographical error, or perhaps someone slipped up when writing the copy for the newsletter?  Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any recent inside scoop on an Eduard Hurricane.  I've built the 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk. 1, and I thought it was a really nice model.  The one I built was the Tropical version, but I have another one in the stash that I want to build as a Battle of Britain Hurricane.  But, seeing as how Eduard has just released a super nice Spitfire Mk. 1 with the BoB in mind, and a re-release of their Bf-109 E for the BoB also, with new decals,, I wonder if they have a Hurricane Mk 1 up their sleeves...I'm sure it would be a really nice model!

By the way, I have nothing to do with Eduard...I just seem to find almost everything they do, particularly of late, to be really appealing!

Curt,

The Löök panel is for the Airfix kit and I think any new tool Hurricane from Eduard is a long ways off.  There hasn’t been any CAD shown or anything like that which is usually a precursor based on how Eduard has done things.  I think we are getting a Spitfire Mk II, F-6 Mustang, Tempest Mk II, and Bf 109K before we get anything else new from Eduard.  

Steve

On 9/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, Curt B said:

Hi All,

I know this has been discussed before, but does anyone have any insight on a future 1/48 Eduard Hurricane Mk. 1?  I noticed, in the Eduard September monthly newsletter, that they mention a new part, a dashboard for a Hurricane Mk 1. (part number Look 644065) which refers to being applicable to an Eduard kit, but then in the details, says 'Recommended Kit: Airfix'.  I wonder if that reference to Eduard in the larger type was a typographical error, or perhaps someone slipped up when writing the copy for the newsletter?  Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any recent inside scoop on an Eduard Hurricane.  I've built the 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk. 1, and I thought it was a really nice model.  The one I built was the Tropical version, but I have another one in the stash that I want to build as a Battle of Britain Hurricane.  But, seeing as how Eduard has just released a super nice Spitfire Mk. 1 with the BoB in mind, and a re-release of their Bf-109 E for the BoB also, with new decals,, I wonder if they have a Hurricane Mk 1 up their sleeves...I'm sure it would be a really nice model!

By the way, I have nothing to do with Eduard...I just seem to find almost everything they do, particularly of late, to be really appealing!

man! I thought the Airfix Hurricane was a fantastic kit!!! Please don't tell me the Eduard kit is better. I have two kits and was thinking about two more.

gary

7 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

man! I thought the Airfix Hurricane was a fantastic kit!!! Please don't tell me the Eduard kit is better. I have two kits and was thinking about two more.

gary

Well, from the info in this thread that I started, it doesn't look like Eduard is going to make one.  I was just asking because I thought I saw a mistake in the Eduard newsletter pointing to a new Eduard Hurricane.  I have built the Airfix Hurricane and have another one to do, and I agree that it is a VERY nice model!  I happen to be an Eduard junkie of late, though, and had just been curious if they were going to be doing one, also.  Probably not, though. 

Edited by Curt B
6 hours ago, Curt B said:

Well, from the info in this thread that I started, it doesn't look like Eduard is going to make one.  I was just asking because I thought I saw a mistake in the Eduard newsletter pointing to a new Eduard Hurricane.  I have built the Airfix Hurricane and have another one to do, and I agree that it is a VERY nice model!  I happen to be an Eduard junkie of late, though, and had just been curious if they were going to be doing one, also.  Probably not, though. 

well I'm not an Airfix or even a couple other fan boys, but give credit where credit is due! Always felt their Spitfires were very nice, as well as their B2 Stukas. Yet the two that really caught my eyes were the Walrus and the Blenheim in 1/48th. Enough that I'm going to get two more of them. Wish they'd do a Blenheim IV in quarter scale! Surprised they didn't upscale the ME262 to 1/48th. On the otherhand I consider their decals junk like Tamiya.

gary

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

well I'm not an Airfix or even a couple other fan boys, but give credit where credit is due! Always felt their Spitfires were very nice, as well as their B2 Stukas. Yet the two that really caught my eyes were the Walrus and the Blenheim in 1/48th. Enough that I'm going to get two more of them. Wish they'd do a Blenheim IV in quarter scale! Surprised they didn't upscale the ME262 to 1/48th. On the otherhand I consider their decals junk like Tamiya.

gary

Just my opinion, nothing more, but I think that Tamiya and Eduard are running neck and neck as best new kits with their recent 1/48 airplane models in terms of everything that matters, engineering, fit, finish, the whole bit.  Now,If Tamiya would start including photo etch seatbelts, and if they BOTH could consistently include Cartograph decals in their kits, they would both be untouchable!  Just my humble opinion, of course!!! 🙄  

I have a huge amount of love for a LOT of other model companies (and armor kits, too), though, including Meng, Great Wall, Rye Field, etc. etc.  I can't say enough about us being in the golden age of modeling, and I hope we all recognize how blessed we are in that regard.  Given that our hobby is not in the forefront of world issues, we could just as easily be stuck with the model world going nowhere, no progress, nothing new, etc.  So, we are exceedingly fortunate!!!

5 hours ago, Curt B said:

Just my opinion, nothing more, but I think that Tamiya and Eduard are running neck and neck as best new kits with their recent 1/48 airplane models in terms of everything that matters, engineering, fit, finish, the whole bit.  Now,If Tamiya would start including photo etch seatbelts, and if they BOTH could consistently include Cartograph decals in their kits, they would both be untouchable!  Just my humble opinion, of course!!! 🙄  

I have a huge amount of love for a LOT of other model companies (and armor kits, too), though, including Meng, Great Wall, Rye Field, etc. etc.  I can't say enough about us being in the golden age of modeling, and I hope we all recognize how blessed we are in that regard.  Given that our hobby is not in the forefront of world issues, we could just as easily be stuck with the model world going nowhere, no progress, nothing new, etc.  So, we are exceedingly fortunate!!!

I've had at least a dozen Eduard kits in the past few years. Hate their 1/32 BF109, but the rest seem nice. Right now I have the 48th scale Hellcat with no serious plan of direction. To be honest, the kit give me little inspiration. Still that's the one oddball. I also have a half dozen of the older FW190's, and believe I can easily fix most issues with a small amount of elbow grease. Going to order in three or four of the new FW190's soon, but my favorite is still the old Trimaster. Not perfect, but a  great start. Really leaning towards buying several Eduard Spitfires soon. I'm sorta hung up on the 32 scale Zeros from Hasegawa. Clearly better and at nearly half the price of the Tamiya kits. Keep hoping they'll do an A6m3! And a Rufe!

Most Tamiya kits show me little, but there are a few good ones (P47's come to mind). Buying one at about 30% over value with some others eating their lunch is foolish to me. I know as soon as I start the kit, the decals are junk, so that's another ten dollars or more added to the price of the kit. (Hasegawa isn't anybetter I might add). Yet I like a lot of Tamiya's new armor. Some are just OK, but most of the new stuff is pretty good to my eyes. My money these days is headed to east Europe not Japan. They're eating their lunch daily.

gary

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

I've had at least a dozen Eduard kits in the past few years. Hate their 1/32 BF109, but the rest seem nice. Right now I have the 48th scale Hellcat with no serious plan of direction. To be honest, the kit give me little inspiration. Still that's the one oddball. I also have a half dozen of the older FW190's, and believe I can easily fix most issues with a small amount of elbow grease. Going to order in three or four of the new FW190's soon, but my favorite is still the old Trimaster. Not perfect, but a  great start. Really leaning towards buying several Eduard Spitfires soon. I'm sorta hung up on the 32 scale Zeros from Hasegawa. Clearly better and at nearly half the price of the Tamiya kits. Keep hoping they'll do an A6m3! And a Rufe!

Most Tamiya kits show me little, but there are a few good ones (P47's come to mind). Buying one at about 30% over value with some others eating their lunch is foolish to me. I know as soon as I start the kit, the decals are junk, so that's another ten dollars or more added to the price of the kit. (Hasegawa isn't anybetter I might add). Yet I like a lot of Tamiya's new armor. Some are just OK, but most of the new stuff is pretty good to my eyes. My money these days is headed to east Europe not Japan. They're eating their lunch daily.

gary

All good points...I failed to mention the very high Tamiya prices!  The Tamiya P-38 is spectacular (will be starting a thread on my build of that soon).  I'm also getting ready ready to thrown down some paint on the Tamiya P-47M which is just a SUPER model, despite ti's almost 20 year age.  i'm doing the 2 tone blue scheme on this one, and I just got a P-47D Razorback, which I am going to do as the NMF "Hun Hunter XIV" as shown in the 1947 documentary "Thunderbolt".  

I love the Eduard P-51D (haven't finished one yet), but my MOST favorite 1/48 is their 1/48 Tempest Mk. V Series 1 and 2.   I"ve gotten a few more of those as individual kits, but also a set in their Royal Class series.   

On 9/13/2020 at 12:41 AM, Curt B said:

All good points...I failed to mention the very high Tamiya prices!  The Tamiya P-38 is spectacular (will be starting a thread on my build of that soon).  I'm also getting ready ready to thrown down some paint on the Tamiya P-47M which is just a SUPER model, despite ti's almost 20 year age.  i'm doing the 2 tone blue scheme on this one, and I just got a P-47D Razorback, which I am going to do as the NMF "Hun Hunter XIV" as shown in the 1947 documentary "Thunderbolt".  

I love the Eduard P-51D (haven't finished one yet), but my MOST favorite 1/48 is their 1/48 Tempest Mk. V Series 1 and 2.   I"ve gotten a few more of those as individual kits, but also a set in their Royal Class series.   

I'm on the fence with the Tamiya P38's. I really like them even with their stupid pricing, but have little interest in the versions they're marketing. I want J's and L's.

I'm about to start a new adventure in modeling, that is still somewhat fuzzy. Really thinking about specific years instead of reaching around all over the place with no real sense of direction. Right now, I'm leaning towards 1940 thru 1942. Three years. I'm at a loss to what scale I'll choose, but prefer 1/48th or 1/32. Still have not ruled out 1/72 just for the variety. Looking at it, there's enough there to keep me busy till I croak. I doubt I'll be building another jet made after 1972, and may do a 1970 cut off date. Just too little interest for me, although I'm begining to also see an interest in Korean War subject matter. Yet the main focus will probably be 1940 thru 1942, but may just do WWII all the way. 

gary

On 9/13/2020 at 10:10 PM, ChesshireCat said:

I'm on the fence with the Tamiya P38's. I really like them even with their stupid pricing, but have little interest in the versions they're marketing. I want J's and L's.

I'm about to start a new adventure in modeling, that is still somewhat fuzzy. Really thinking about specific years instead of reaching around all over the place with no real sense of direction. Right now, I'm leaning towards 1940 thru 1942. Three years. I'm at a loss to what scale I'll choose, but prefer 1/48th or 1/32. Still have not ruled out 1/72 just for the variety. Looking at it, there's enough there to keep me busy till I croak. I doubt I'll be building another jet made after 1972, and may do a 1970 cut off date. Just too little interest for me, although I'm begining to also see an interest in Korean War subject matter. Yet the main focus will probably be 1940 thru 1942, but may just do WWII all the way. 

gary

Gary,

Frankly, regarding the Tamiya P-38s, I agree with you, DESPITE the fact that I have 2 of the F/G kit (one build in progress), and the 'limited' H model.  I've read that some folks think that Tamiya wanted to get the 'less popular' '38's out there, which I'm sure sold like hotcakes, with the idea that they will release the Ls and Js later, the phrase 'a license to print money' has been used.  The thought is that if they had released the L/J variants first, they could never have sold the F/G/H variants later.  Probably a good marketing strategy...worked on me.  Now, I only HOPE that they do, indeed, do the J/L variants.  I have the decals for Richard Bong's plane ready to rock 'n roll.  I have to admit that I have the concern, regarding Tamiya's history, of NOT doing the more popular variants of kits that one might thing would be obvious money makers.  I guess we just wait and see...either for Tamiya to pony up, or see if any aftermarket companies want to try to modify the F/G to the J/L.  I don't know if that's even possible...I don't know enough about the planes.

I like your strategy of deciding on which kits to go for.  With the way things are now in the modeling world, I'd guess that narrow time frame has enough kits, especially in 1/48, to keep you busy, as you say, until the end of our individual time here on the planet.  Maybe I should have had a similar strategy.  As it is, I have WWII through today kits of aircraft and tanks.  A huge amount of different kinds of planes, helos, and armor.  I know I'll never come close to finishing the kits I have right now, and I know myself well enough that I've certainly not completed my purchasing of models.  All it takes is something new and cool and the model manufacturers have me in their evil grasp.  

Please let us know what you decide to do.

3 hours ago, Curt B said:

Gary,

Frankly, regarding the Tamiya P-38s, I agree with you, DESPITE the fact that I have 2 of the F/G kit (one build in progress), and the 'limited' H model.  I've read that some folks think that Tamiya wanted to get the 'less popular' '38's out there, which I'm sure sold like hotcakes, with the idea that they will release the Ls and Js later, the phrase 'a license to print money' has been used.  The thought is that if they had released the L/J variants first, they could never have sold the F/G/H variants later.  Probably a good marketing strategy...worked on me.  Now, I only HOPE that they do, indeed, do the J/L variants.  I have the decals for Richard Bong's plane ready to rock 'n roll.  I have to admit that I have the concern, regarding Tamiya's history, of NOT doing the more popular variants of kits that one might thing would be obvious money makers.  I guess we just wait and see...either for Tamiya to pony up, or see if any aftermarket companies want to try to modify the F/G to the J/L.  I don't know if that's even possible...I don't know enough about the planes.

I like your strategy of deciding on which kits to go for.  With the way things are now in the modeling world, I'd guess that narrow time frame has enough kits, especially in 1/48, to keep you busy, as you say, until the end of our individual time here on the planet.  Maybe I should have had a similar strategy.  As it is, I have WWII through today kits of aircraft and tanks.  A huge amount of different kinds of planes, helos, and armor.  I know I'll never come close to finishing the kits I have right now, and I know myself well enough that I've certainly not completed my purchasing of models.  All it takes is something new and cool and the model manufacturers have me in their evil grasp.  

Please let us know what you decide to do.

I really like WWI subjects, but they scare me to death! Plus I have a friend who is an aeronautical engineer specializing in fuselage design. He's really into the classic twenties and thirties designs, and has gotten me interested in these airframes. Just a unique period. Also highly neglected.

The one thing about WWII equipment is that they actually did something in a big way. Doesn't matter if your into the RAF or something right out of Germany! All are unique in their own way. U.S. aircraft can go from colorful to just plain drab, but still unique. I like Vietnam era stuff because I lived with it, but can't get into the modern airframes no matter how much I try. Even with RVN stuff, I find a lot of it uninteresting. 

gary

18 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I really like WWI subjects, but they scare me to death! Plus I have a friend who is an aeronautical engineer specializing in fuselage design. He's really into the classic twenties and thirties designs, and has gotten me interested in these airframes. Just a unique period. Also highly neglected.

The one thing about WWII equipment is that they actually did something in a big way. Doesn't matter if your into the RAF or something right out of Germany! All are unique in their own way. U.S. aircraft can go from colorful to just plain drab, but still unique. I like Vietnam era stuff because I lived with it, but can't get into the modern airframes no matter how much I try. Even with RVN stuff, I find a lot of it uninteresting. 

gary

Now I'm curious...what scares you about WWI subjects?  The rigging?  While I wish I found them, biplanes and such, interesting, or even compelling, they just aren't for me.  Besides, a huge shame that the best WWI models, by WIngnut Wings, are going away.

What I find most fascinating about WWII hardware in general, aircraft, armor, is the incredibly extraordinary speed at which new designs came off the drawing boards into reality, or the phenomenal rate at which improvements/changes were implemented to existing designs (was it 25 variants to the Spitfire in 6ish years?)  The armor variants were not far off of that rate, either, at least the German ones.  However, I do like modern stuff, too.  At least Cold War era, but F-14s, F-15s, F-16s also...A-6s, A-7s, F-8s, A-10s...F-22s...but not Harriers, and ABSOLUTELY NOT the fabulously hideous F-35, perhaps the most flat out ugly aircraft ever devised.

Edited by Curt B
4 hours ago, Curt B said:

Now I'm curious...what scares you about WWI subjects?  The rigging?  While I wish I found them, biplanes and such, interesting, or even compelling, they just aren't for me.  Besides, a huge shame that the best WWI models, by WIngnut Wings, are going away.

What I find most fascinating about WWII hardware in general, aircraft, armor, is the incredibly extraordinary speed at which new designs came off the drawing boards into reality, or the phenomenal rate at which improvements/changes were implemented to existing designs (was it 25 variants to the Spitfire in 6ish years?)  The armor variants were not far off of that rate, either, at least the German ones.  However, I do like modern stuff, too.  At least Cold War era, but F-14s, F-15s, F-16s also...A-6s, A-7s, F-8s, A-10s...F-22s...but not Harriers, and ABSOLUTELY NOT the fabulously hideous F-35, perhaps the most flat out ugly aircraft ever devised.

I worked for Allisons for thirty four years, and I ran into designs and prototypes the outside world never saw. Some of it, I doubt they even remember owning! There were literally rack after rack of componets that just never were ever used. Things like the 3300 HP V1710 engine, and the evolution of the jet engine as we know it. Yet there were pieces I only heard about, and were always kept under lock and key. The Hestalloy foundry was an item I wanted to always see (first 100% robotic system in the world). Took a higher top secret clearence that I could ever obtain to just walk thru there when it wasn't pouring liquid metal. Then there was the engine that ran on tap water! I did get to see the W3420(?) engine once sitting in a rack. Also was the guy who found four brand new Jumo 004 engines in there shipping crates right out of 1945 Germany that they never knew they had. 

I only know enough about cold war stuff to say I know nothing! I'll also have to agree with you about the Harrier, and a few other designs! As much as I loved the A6, you couldn't call it a thing of beauty. Still it was one of the single most accurate bombers ever conceived. In anykind of weather I might add. What's really interesting is that during WWII Studebaker Packard was the only serious competion! My Dad ground the first gas turbine blades ever made in the USA. Said he junked more than they made good ones I might add. The head guy for Studebaker Packard was one of his very best friends, and I heard first had about the Merlin engine redesign, as well as the trucks. (there's a good bit of difference between the two) The truck deal came about when they sent a team with blue prints for a new 2 1/2 ton truck. They had a team of engineers look at them for about a week and a half, and they did some minor redesigning. When the military came back they said we can build you your trucks (there were two others seeking the contract), but how many do you want? They said as many as you can produce (mistake!). Studebaker had the most modern assembly line in the states (world?), and it was literally brand new. Then a year or so later they knocked on the door and asked about the merlin engine. They said it took thirty days to build an engine from raw castings to the dyno. Packard did it in hours! Now Rolls Royce owns the Allison aircraft business (should have been the other way around). 

Can't say I'm into Shermans, but find them interesting. Really find Mustangs a little boring unless it's the very early ones. I like P38 / P39 airframes. for looks it's pretty hard to top the Spitfire. Still not my favorite RAF aircraft. I like the ugly Lysander and the Beafighter.  Plus the Germans had some pretty ugly ones themselves (Hs129?) . Sexiest for me was the Staggerwing!

gary

• 8 months later...

I know this ia an old thread that I started, but I wanted to mention, as a similarity to Gary's idea of narrowing down his models to certain years, that I plan to build as many 1/48 scale airplanes that I can find that have Normany invasion stripes on them.  I'm already sure of doing a Spitfire, a Tempest Mk. V and a P-51D, just haven't done my research yet.  Something amazing about the significance of those Normandy aircraft.  Plus, having just recently watched the 2001 HBO series Band of Brothers, and what looked to me like realistic hand painted stripes on the C-47 paratrooper drop aircraft, was an inspiration for this...