Idea for sheet: F-4J Mig Killers

I was just looking around for decals for my  Monogram F-4J. I see a lot of Vietnam War F-4B decal sheets and tons of USAF F-4C-D-E sheets, but not a lot for the Yankee Station Navy F-4Js. Nearly, all the F-4J sheets I see are post war.

There are a lot of kits out there in 1/48. Academy, Italeri, Monogram, Hasegawa made probably dozens of boxings.

So how about a sheet for Vietnam Era F-4J Mig Killers?   Just throwing it it out there.  🙂

Seems to me these are among the most common Phantoms covered by kit decals, but that doesn't necessarily preclude need/demand - Academy, Hasegawa, et al, are notorious for poor quality decals (or hard to find limited edition Cartograf boxings).

Assuming this was done for 1/72, I'd love to see VF-31's MiG killer included.

Yeah sign me up for F-4J MiG killers! The last time anyone tried to do something like this would probably be Fox One Decals 20 years ago.... Not posting Cunningham because they've been done to death.

Artwork  by Mark Styling https://www.aviationillustration.com

See:

original.jpg

f-4_usn_93.jpg

f-4_usn_51.jpg

f-4_usn_80.jpg

f-4_usn_81.jpg

No images for NG 106 buno157769? Shot down 2 MiG-17s 10 May 1972

f-4_usn_43.jpg

f-4_usn_14.jpg

f-4_usn_65.jpg

f-4_usmc_55.jpg

f-4_usn_94.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:00 PM, dmk0210 said:

So how about a sheet for Vietnam Era F-4J Mig Killers?   Just throwing it it out there.  🙂

Not only Mig-Killers..what about more mundane line birds from all these colourful squandrons ? I mean Superscale,/Aeromaster/CAM sheets are difficult to find, or expensive, or old, so there is not a lot to choose if one wants to build a non-low viz Juliet.

And lets not forget the USMC squadrons...

MB

2 hours ago, polar bear said:

1+ for one and only Marines MiG killer.

TIL.  I had to look that up.

9/11/72  Maj. Lee T. Lasseter and Capt. John D. Cummings of VMF-333, flying F-4J BuNo 155526, Shamrock 201. They launched off the USS America CVA-66 for a MigCAP mission. They shot down one Mig-21 with an AIM-9G and damaged another. They sustained damage from an SA-2 and were forced to eject. A second Phantom was also lost due to running out of fuel. All four crew members were rescued.  

Source:  "Mig Killers. A chronology of U.S. Air Victories in Vietnam 1965-1973"  Donald J. McCarthy Jr.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:34 AM, MarcB said:

Not only Mig-Killers..what about more mundane line birds from all these colourful squandrons ? I mean Superscale,/Aeromaster/CAM sheets are difficult to find, or expensive, or old, so there is not a lot to choose if one wants to build a non-low viz Juliet.

And lets not forget the USMC squadrons...

MB

Nearly all the jet mig killers (Phantoms, Eagles, etc) were mundane "line birds" when they got their kills.  They only became Wing Kings and CAG birds much later in life due to those victory stars on their sides.

That's the beauty of the war time schemes for these birds. They were war hawks driven by eager young Ens, LTs and Capts, not big brass show birds. 

Edited by dmk0210
On 9/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, dmk0210 said:

Nearly all the jet mig killers (Phantoms, Eagles, etc) were mundane "line birds" when they got their kills.  They only became Wing Kings and CAG birds much later in life due to those victory stars on their sides.

That's the beauty of the war time schemes for these birds. They were war hawks driven by eager young Ens, LTs and Capts, not big brass show birds. 

That's one of the funny things about Showtime 100 - Cunningham & Driscoll, both LTs at the time, made ace on the 10 May 1972 mission, but lost the CAG's Phantom in the process!

2 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

That's one of the funny things about Showtime 100 - Cunningham & Driscoll, both LTs at the time, made ace on the 10 May 1972 mission, but lost the CAG's Phantom in the process!

Of course, unlike many other CAG jets, Showtime 100 wasn't all that differently marked than the regular squadron jets.  Just the addition of the bee and the six colored stars on the fuselage sides.