Revell 1/48 F-86D Sabre Dog

Good evening guys, new summer, different work place, a bit difficult times with this new virus. Well i try to overcome with my favourite hobby with new subject, this time a jet one from the cold era, the very good revell 1/48th scale F-86D.

TlIpKXxl.jpg

First of all ihave to thank Duncan, for his valueable help, explaning details, providing info and clarifiying things regarding this beautiful aircraft and my build specifically.

I was going to build this model OOB in order to test an approach to Bare Metal Finish, but......

Here is the profile i want to build, is one provided with the kit...

2zOT2vkl.jpg 

which in fact is a  F-86D-35. Revell provides an instrument panel correct only for models D-1 to D-5. So i turned to eduard and i was lucky enough to find the aftermarket

ilRwUN3l.jpg

Also i needed new wheels, different rim pattern on my profile for the nose wheel and of course better detailed...eduard again...

VZ9hMPYl.jpg

And i always prefer the resin seats to the plastic ones, so i got a true details one...

CSrlNMol.jpg

So much for the OOB build, hahahaha

Anyway, cockpit first...be aware that the kit provides the seat frame with the catapult triggers up, in fact untill D-35 models there was only one trigger to the right. That means that the seat has entered into the ejection sequence which is wrong. A minor detail of course, only for rivet counters hahaha.

I added some levers and painted the cockpit carefully and it really turned out very beautiful i think. Good thing that eduard provides the instrument panel unpainted, i never liked the painted ones, bad thing that it does not provide a painted film for the instruments. Instead it provides a printed one, so i added a thin transparent film to the sandwich!

wny4fXnl.jpg
pCeI4Jql.jpg
j6rF1kyl.jpg
wsf4Hdml.jpg
WcdnZ1dl.jpg

e37TwOsl.jpg
dAkjVnql.jpg
U133wBql.jpg
DH204hwl.jpg
WnWgAhkl.jpg
yLvIHK6l.jpg

I added some stencils, as you can see, to the fuselage sides and i glued the two halves. I am happy to report that if you are careful with the gluing procedure you are going to need no filler!! I cut off the plastic portion of the dashbord and added a PE one from eduard.

kXo2f5Tl.jpg
O3q1Cbql.jpg
5mXGOyBl.jpg
mzncoHrl.jpg
cElMhDil.jpg
ZhSzJTxl.jpg

Here i painted from the inside the anticollision light, added chrome and i glued it on the fuselage as, according to Duncan, this is a clear panel!!

e32bzpVl.jpg

Here i dealt with the wheels and the rocket launcer

XViOH7Bl.jpg
3wHIQLcl.jpg
pUVSO5Xl.jpg

UI8uxvel.jpg
yxHUukYl.jpg
TWVMORdl.jpg

z7KxrPBl.jpg

I glued the wings, flaps, slats, pylons and masked and painted the wheel wells...

WTYzHvWl.jpg
v2K1pyAl.jpg
14yHFfAl.jpg
9tvpmMCl.jpg
6lZTrV4l.jpg

and last for this post, the canopy, i tried to enhance it masked and painted inside...

MP3xmocl.jpg
5t59PHwl.jpg
qT9WWGSl.jpg

Eok2fSLl.jpg
FO4SqRyl.jpg
Akmst4jl.jpg

Thats all for now, hope you like it, open to any comment, remark etc!!

John

• 1 month later...

Good morning guys,

Time to show some progress....

After checking everything for imperfections i polished thoroughly the kit plastic.

I decided to use Ak xtreme meta for thiw build and i also decided not to prime the model and to spray the color on the polished plastic. I think that, even if the photoes really dont show the real thing, the outcome is really nice.

NDhPtGTl.jpg

wkxwQOQl.jpg

rRfvztel.jpg

mS3SbPZl.jpg

wYZXHyDl.jpg

wygTBuml.jpg

Here i worked with the different shading of the metal. As Duncan a.k.a. ''Sabrejet'' has pointed out many times, this shading is due to the different way of threating aluminium panels. Hope i got it right somehow!!! Also i dealt with engine exhaust!

1MB4ypbl.jpg

ZuRMXHLl.jpg

Cd3hOxMl.jpg

PSNizy3l.jpg

I masked and painted all the walk lines, antiglare and radar cone....

VxBREAZl.jpg

n3A2oGRl.jpg

J8ZrSysl.jpg

FGWNhdVl.jpg

And finally i started with the codes, letters and decals. First the dry tranfers followed by the very nice revell decals!!

3GVhDvgl.jpg

hEb5yAJl.jpg

vf5NrQtl.jpg

ZNISYcKl.jpg

wGQrVa5l.jpg

zs02wF0l.jpg

S3LGy9Sl.jpg

W0tsHsDl.jpg

ggaa6nbl.jpg

BQw9CxAl.jpg

S1GSa4Xl.jpg

7jILVfml.jpg

XDglLAEl.jpg

XAL9eQPl.jpg

Thats all for now, hope you like it. I really look forward for your comments on my first bare metal try!!!

John 

I love it,  the instrument panel glass looks spectacular.  wheels, rocket launcher, canopy...all top notch.  The bare metal finish is an eye catcher. 

I googled threating Aluminum; I should like to know more. 

Whoa. This is excellent work all around. 
The cockpit is real nice. The metal finish is gorgeous!

Dealing with decal carrier film is my biggest hesitation with doing bare metal schemes but there is not a hint of it anywhere. Absolutely flawless decal work.
How did you manage that? 
-co 

1 minute ago, CaptainObvious said:

Whoa. This is excellent work all around. 
The cockpit is real nice. The metal finish is gorgeous!

Dealing with decal carrier film is my biggest hesitation with doing bare metal schemes but there is not a hint of it anywhere. Absolutely flawless decal work.
How did you manage that? 
-co 

Thank you very much. That was my major concern too. When i have wet tranfers i prefer themto everything else. Now i had dry transfers for the codes and letters and the very nice decals from revell. I trimmed as mush as i could the carrier film and i placed them with the help of the tamiya decal adhesive the softener type.!!

To my surprise there was no silvering at all, of course i had made all the preparation to the model to achieve the best finish i could.

I have now sprayed a very light film of highly diluted future on the model which seems to give a very nice seen and eliminate any silvering.

I cross fingers for the future!! 

John

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening guys,

My last update on this beautifull bird. After finishing all the stenciling i sprayed a highly thinned future on the model and i started weathering her with wash first. After that i played with oils, raw unthinned, in order to capture some wear of the aluminium. Dont know if i really succeded!! Last i sprayed a light, again highly thinned, hand of xtracrylics satin varnish to seal everything. None of the future or xtraclylics seems to alter the finish of the metallics!! I had no luck to my tests with alclad varnish or the ak's gauzy agent!!

Hope you like it!! It is my first try on NMF and i would really apppreciate any comments!! 

JgTidKzl.jpg UpLYDwMl.jpg Q66MkCtl.jpg WXd8LRal.jpg?1

heuKUNgl.jpg VxxMF0dl.jpg

xXjszYDl.jpg Q76DRpAl.jpg

nYHJgFXl.jpg 2KPlVjRl.jpg

xFqgFGGl.jpg L0CCr6wl.jpg

xiqsGI9l.jpg dV1wcgQl.jpg

t1m88Evl.jpg oErCC2zl.jpg

yOHgTuAl.jpg zpGLhCil.jpg

sKWfQEgl.jpg JbsbgSOl.jpg

John

Edited by zaxos345
On 11/8/2020 at 2:17 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Really, really nice job.  Spectacular result.  I never noticed the assymetric design of the vortex generators on the tail planes.  <Arte Johnson>Veddy interestink.</Arte Johnson>.

On 11/8/2020 at 5:41 AM, Dutch said:

Just gorgeous!  What a beauty!  

Thank you very much for the kind words!!

16 minutes ago, jgrease said:

Really nice work - have one in the stash and you're making me want to build it!

John

Thanks John, you should, it is a very nice kit !! Few mistakes but nothing you cannot do!!!

John