Recommendations of a double action airbrush

Hi, guys! So, I currently have a single action Paasche H siphon fed airbrush with 3 different sized needles (.45mm, .75mm, 1.05mm). I love this airbrush for its ease of disassembly and use. I normally use the .75mm needle as my main workhorse for putting on clear coats and will also be using it for primers as it’s so easy to clean. 

Now that I’m getting used to the single action airbrush, I see it’s limitations. I was doing some research. It seems like the Paasche gravity fed, double action Raptor or Talon seems like a nice step up without breaking the bank. They come with three needles (.25mm, .38mm, .66mm). I was mainly thinking of using the Raptor or Talon for airbrushing the acrylic paints I have. My thinking is that the double action Raptor or Talon would give me much more control of the paint coming out of the airbrush which seems to be very much essential for some new paint (Ammo of Mig) I’m going to be using.

Of course, I’ve never used a double action airbrush. I’m still somewhat new to the single action airbrush. However, I am getting better at using them. I’m really seeking advice. Does anyone know if a Paasche double action, gravity fed Raptor or Talon are good double action airbrushes to start with (and hopefully continue to use for years to come)? Would you guys recommend another airbrush instead? Btw, I can get the Raptor or a Talon for about $100-150. $150 is about the absolute max I am willing to spend. I’d prefer to keep it around $100. Thank you guys for any advice. Being newer to airbrushing, I don’t have many people to turn to for advice as I only have online articles and reviews to look at.

btw, apparently the only real difference between the Talon and Raptor is that the Talon has a much bigger paint cup (.4oz). I think the Raptor has a 2ml cup. 

39 minutes ago, Bob Beary said:

Check the. "first airbrush" post on June 14th in this forum.

Bob

I just read through the posts. The general consensus seems to be the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I’ll look into that. 

Edited by Historybuff
Spelling error

@Bob Beary, it’ll definitely be a bit more than I would lime to spend after buying the additions accessories, but I can understand the appeal of the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. Supposedly, Ammo of Mig paint is already thinned, so I’m hoping that it shouldn’t clog up the smaller .35mm needle? Also, if I were to buy the .5mm needle as an addition, are there any other parts I would need to buy to switch it from a .35mm to the .5mm besides the needle? One last question. Should the .35mm and .5mm needles be all that I should need in terms of needle sizes?

All I ever use is the .35 tip that came with it. It is very capable of broad coverage. I can also get fine line control as well. I've sprayed enamels, acrylics, lacquers, and Future.

The key word is "supposedly" thinned.

The bottom line on thinning paint is....thin it until it sprays the way you want it to. It depends on many things....type of paint, psi coming through the line, sometimes the color of a given paint requires more or less thinning than another color, broad coverage, fine line work, distance from the model etc. etc. etc. Thin it until it works!

I mainly use Tamiya paints and thin them about 50/50.

A double action A/B is not difficult to use!! Just takes a small learning curve and some practice. It's as simple as  "push down, pull back"

A good result can be achieved with ANY airbrush with practice. Many years ago on this site there was a model with a very complicated camo scheme...it was painted with an airbrush that the modeler found in the trash! You buy a good airbrush once.

Bob

I've been using the Talon for a number of years as a follow on from my old Paasche H and I'm quite happy with it. At the time I had fallen for the H&S Infinity... but could never justify the expense. For me the Talon  does what I want it to do, aside from the occasional operator errors. Sometimes it sprays beautiful lines, and sometimes I swear at it because any tradesman will always blame his tools!😉 As Bob has said, there is a small learning curve with any airbrush and depends on many things such as humidity, snow etc to the paints you use. And like Bob, I mainly use tamiya paints. Some of them being over ten years old but Mr Color Leveling Thinner does amazing things.

Trust the airbrush feedback and just experiment!

The only important thing that I can say is that regardless of whichever airbrush you purchase, it won't work perfectly all of the time. Spend what you are happy to spend, we've all seen masterpieces done cheaply and nightmares that have large price tags.

HTH

Andy 

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Before I answer with an airbrush can I ask why you feel the need to swap the needles out?
1.05mm and even .75 is a fairly large needle. That allows a very thick paint in a rather large volume.

Hi, yes, I found out that trying to spray clear coats, no matter how thinned, seemed to clog up my smaller needle on the Paasche H. It was a .45mm needle. The .75mm needle had no clogging issues. Now, I still plan on using the Paasche H for the clear coats and primers. The .75 needle was the “medium” needle for the Paasche H. I really never used the 1.05mm needle. It was way too big and needed super high air pressure. 

My purpose for the double action would be for actual painting of the model. My main worry is just clogging up the new airbrush with paint. I have never used a needle as small as .35mm. 

Edited by Historybuff

I read that the Iwata HP-CS costs to much for you which is a shame as it is the de facto airbrush for most people, Ive never heard anybody complain about it.
I believe a place called harbour freight has it on offer... something to do with an internet coupon and wait until its on sale and combine both offers.

@ElectroSoldier, thankfully, I have found that my local Hobby Lobby has it for 159.99. I also can get a 40% of discount. Seems like I may be able to get that airbrush after all. My main wonder is if it’s worth saving for a .5mm needle too if I were to get it. Unless you don’t think I will have as much problem with acrylic paint as I did my acrylic clear coats with clogging up needles. 

13 minutes ago, Historybuff said:

thankfully, I have found that my local Hobby Lobby has it for 159.99. I also can get a 40% of discount. Seems like I may be able to get that airbrush after all. 

Hate to burst your bubble but you can't apply the Hobby Lobby 40% coupon to the Iwata. Ask me how I know......  😞

I spray various clear coats all the time with the 0.35 tip. Check out Peri's models on Youtube. He seems to shoot everything through a 0.2 tip and 15 psi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGbS5GGhxRo

He usually dilutes 40/60 paint to solvent.

Bob

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Hate to burst your bubble but you can't apply the Hobby Lobby 40% coupon to the Iwata. Ask me how I know......  😞

Unfortunately, I just found that out. They said it was already at a discounted price, so the 40% off doesn’t apply. 😡

I’m going to have to wait on the new airbrush for a bit. 

Just now, Historybuff said:

Unfortunately, I just found that out. They said it was already at a discounted price, so the 40% off doesn’t apply. 😡

I am sure hobby lobby was told by iwata to not allow the 40%. Can’t blame iwata on desiring to maintain their floor pricing. 

It was a nice loophole while it lasted. 

7 minutes ago, Historybuff said:

Its worth waiting for.
There are other airbrushes out there but that one is worth waiting for.

There is one called the Iwata Neo. Dont be tempted, wait for the HP-CS. 

Edited by ElectroSoldier

@ElectroSoldier, I’d have to agree with you on that. It’s not too much over my budget to justify. I just will wait a bit longer is all. They aren’t going anywhere. 

I do have a question that is going to need to be addressed when I get my airbrush. As I have a Paasche, I needed to buy a hose/compressor attachment, so I could fit the Paasche hose on my compressor. With an Iwata, I know it doesn’t use the same size adaptor. Rather than have to risk having to constantly retape any air leaks from where the adaptor is connected by constantly switching out hoses, would you recommend me buying a Paasche adaptor to allow a Paasche hose to fit to the Iwata airbrush? How would you go about two different airbrushes with two different size connections? 

1 hour ago, Historybuff said:

@ElectroSoldier, I’d have to agree with you on that. It’s not too much over my budget to justify. I just will wait a bit longer is all. They aren’t going anywhere. 

I do have a question that is going to need to be addressed when I get my airbrush. As I have a Paasche, I needed to buy a hose/compressor attachment, so I could fit the Paasche hose on my compressor. With an Iwata, I know it doesn’t use the same size adaptor. Rather than have to risk having to constantly retape any air leaks from where the adaptor is connected by constantly switching out hoses, would you recommend me buying a Paasche adaptor to allow a Paasche hose to fit to the Iwata airbrush? How would you go about two different airbrushes with two different size connections? 

Im not 100% sure what size connector Paasche use. I think its larger than the one Iwata use.

If I had a setup that used two different hose sizes what I would do is pretty much what I do now but with an addition.

Attach your hose to your compressor one end and put an adapter nut on the other to convert it to the same size as the Iwata (as the HP-CS will be your default airbrush that is used most often) then put a quick release socket on the end of the air line.
Then you need to get an adapter for your Paasche that converts the airbrush to the same size connector as the Iwata, its not a big thing, its just a nut really. and put a quick release connector on it.

Then put a quick release on your HP-CS.

That way with 2 adapter nuts and 2 QR connectors you have made all the ends the same and you can swap them about as often as you like without putting any stress on the air line.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
50 minutes ago, Bounce said:

is this one and the same?  I'm finding some disparity in the sales naming...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iwata-Eclipse-All-Star-Versatility-HP-CS-Airbrush-Kit/224150204572?hash=item343064b09c:g:I6QAAOSwmoxfV8Bx

is this the actual model # ECL-4501?

yeah its just packaged with a braded air line.