Cement Confused and primer question

I am just getting back into modelling after a significant gap.  I have ordered a few aircraft models (1/48 Pegasus & Tamiya) and related tools plus I have been looking at Youtube and various forums like this one. My questions are about and primer. 

I watched a video re application of Tamiya cement which seems to use capillary action whereas the extra thin type of cement requires application to both parts if glueing two together. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Also, I gather that it is a good idea to apply a spray primer coat before painting. However I saw a video on Tamiya acrylics which said you do no need primer?

Many thanks

Tamiya glues:

The dark green one uses capillary action. Dry fit your parts, once you know its good simply brush on the glue along the join line. the glue will spread down into the gap and touch both sides of the join and weld them together.
It shouldnt really be but can be directly applied to the joints and then stuck together in the traditional manner.

THe light green one is a quick set version of the dark green.

Primer.

It is always best to prime the surface of the model, If you use Tamiya acrylics then you might be able to use just the paint and it will probably work well but you will get a better effect if you do use a primer.

A primer does more than just give a surface for the paint to stick to. As you progress you will start to see what I mean.
In the early days getting back into it roll without one, then after a few kits try it with a primer and see what happens.

Its all a learning curve

Without referring to an actual kit and going only from memory (Not done a Tamiya kit for a couple of months now). The A36 or D11 would refer to spure A part 36 or sprue D part 11.

Each sprue has a letter and each part on that sprue has its own number.
There could be several part number 11s but only one is on sprue D.
You might get 2 sprue Ds in a kit in which case it doesnt matter which sprue you use to get that part as long as its the right part.