New Kitty Hawk 1/35 Naval H-60s

As some might have seen, Kitty Hawk just released their two newest 1/35 H-60 versions.  They are both naval helos being an SH-60B and SH-60F with decals based on the actual artwork of Shayne Meder, aircraft painter.

012.jpg013.jpg

As I understand it, both versions are no longer used by the USN.  The two current USN H-60 type helos are the MH-60R and the MH-60S.  

As a side note, the parts for the SH-60B and SH-60F are identicle, with just different decals for the two.  This makes sense since the F is an updated B, with most parts the same minus the large radome under the nose.  Also looking at the parts, it appears that all the parts for an MH-60R are also present on the sprues. 

An MH-60R has also been announced by KH.  Hopefully we will see it soon.

1133678-20627-38-720.jpg

The MH-60S is is a future release by KH as well and supposed to be available soon.

014.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
19 minutes ago, Tank said:

The wing is different between the B/F among other parts. Cobra Company had a set to convert the Italeri B to an F back in the day.

Right.  There are a few different wing configurations and a bunch of different bumps and blisters in the kit(s) as well as the radome and FLIR ball and mount for the MH-60R.  That is why I said that you could probably build the R as well; you would just need decals for it.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

While on the subject, what are my options if I want to build a late OIF Lima?   Does the MH kit have the parts for a standard lift Hawk?   

Be careful what you wish for cause you might just get what you're asking for very shortly!!!

Wink, Wink!!!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
On 9/8/2020 at 8:29 PM, 11bee said:

While on the subject, what are my options if I want to build a late OIF Lima?   Does the MH kit have the parts for a standard lift Hawk?   Also, does anyone offer resin intake dust filters?   

No, the MH-60L kit does not contain all the parts needed for a standard UH-60L.  You would need an L model IP and center console (Academy or Eduard), pointy L stabilator (Academy), standard L vertical tail piece without radar plume detectors (modify kit part), M240D/H doorguns and mounts (Live-Resin), H-bar gunners' seats support and gunners' seats (Academy), and standard UH-60L decals (Werner's Wings).  Most of these items will be addressed in an upcoming Werner's Wings backdate/update set. 

For the sand filters, there was a really nice set by Cobra Company, which was bought out by Lone Star Models.  He is periodically releasing more CC sets, so check his site often.  He currently has nothing from CC right now.  

Edited by HeavyArty

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.   Hopefully we'll see a kit of the Lima and hopefully, KH might include those inlet filters.    While I'm rattling off my wish list, it would be nice to see some aftermarket decals for OIF/OEF Army UH-60's.   

This set by Werner's wings has current up through about 2011 in Iraq, which was when we withdrew all forces before returning w/mostly Special Ops in '14 to roll back ISIS.  It also has aircraft from Afghanistan.  I reviewed them here: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=6704

13.jpg

KH showed the sand filters on the CAD and in the test build of their forthcoming MH-60S.  

10662433b5_grande.jpg?v=1581603663images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlbhgMbJuvnAdXh7JXGUx

Edited by HeavyArty

Thanks Gino, good to know the sand filters will hopefully be included when / if a UH-60 is released.   With regard to those Werner Wings decals, I knew about them.   Great looking set but listed as out of stock on his website.    

11 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

I thought the SH-60F,  but apparently the HH-60H is a better starting place for the Jayhawk.

Tim

It depends how you want to go and is not a straight build either way.  The SH-60B/F, HH-60H, and USCG HH/MH-60J/T all have the same basic fuselage.  The only main difference that would make an HH-60H a better starting point is the port side windows.  On the SH-60B/F, they open out only in an emergency.  On the HH-60H (and USCG HH/MH-60J/T Jayhawk), they slide open.   The SH-60B/F does have the open steps on the fuselage like the Jayhawk, where the HH-60H has covered steps.

It isn't that hard of a conversion; I did it on my scratch USCG MH-60J.  I am considering kitbashing the SH-60B/F (same plastic, different decals) and the HIRSS exhaust from their MH-60L to get an HH-60H.  

To make an HH/MH-60J/T, you would still need the open exhaust from the SH-60B/F kit.  So it will still be a kitbash to get an HH/MH-60J/T from either if/when an HH-60H is available.  It does look by the way the port side is designed that the window section is interchangable.  So you can probably just swap out the sliding HH-60H window section with the SH-60B/F fueslage to get a Jayhawk, again a kit bash if/when the HH-60H comes out.  You will still need USCG decals too and Fireball Modelworks no longer does them.  Maybe he will start back up with these new kits.

SH-60F port side.

sh-60f_ocean_hawk_01_of_27.jpg

HH-60H

1654859-large.jpg

85746_1092038049.jpg

MH-60T

88651_1458697072.jpg

Sikorsky_HH-60J_Jayhawk_6022_C-N_70-1704

Edited by HeavyArty

According to Floyd Werner of Werner's Wings, who is working closely with Kitty Hawk on thir H-60s, yes.  There are still plans for an MH-60S, MH-60R, MH-60M, HH-60J, and a standard UH-60L.  Nothing about a release schedule, but they are apparently coming.

7 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

According to Floyd Werner of Werner's Wings, who is working closely with Kitty Hawk on thir H-60s, yes.  There are still plans for an MH-60S, MH-60R, MH-60M, HH-60J, and a standard UH-60L.  Nothing about a release schedule, but they are apparently coming.

Good to know. Thanks. I'd rather save my limited space for the M than get the L model right now. So I'll just sit and wait on it and get the HH-60G going. 

9 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Damn, I was going to be content only thinking that they were doing a -B...now I'll be patiently waiting longer for the -R and -J too.