New Kitty Hawk 1/35 Naval H-60s

46 minutes ago, norbert said:

Have the F on the way, Maybe it's time to add some pilots to the 4 I already have...

Or crew deck loading/attaching one the sonar torpedo to the side of the helo or maybe  unfolding/pushing the tail. 

Edited by Rotorman
13 minutes ago, norbert said:

more 1/35 deck crews...

I believe more crew movement around a static helo will  create more ideas for diorama.  With many versions of the Navy Seahawks coming out in the future, you might be sitting on a gold mine. Dont let LIVERESIN beat you to the punch.  Just my two cents

Oliver

Just got in my SH-60F.  It is a great looking kit.  It also has a bunch of unused parts.  Some of these are the HIRSS exhaust (MH-60R and HH-60H) and clear parts for the sliding port side windows (HH-60Hs and USCG HH/MH-60J/Ts).  You can pretty much build any Naval H-60 from the kit (minus MH-60S), with just a little bit of scratch work around the port side windows.  This looks like a real winner.

There is an issue with the instructions in the first batch though.  There are some pages printed w/o diagrams and others where two pages are printed over each other.  If you get a set like this, contact Kitty Hawk and they will send a file w/the correct instructions.

Lastly,  a Kitty Hawk rep said that the MH-60S will be available on 1 OCT.

Edited by HeavyArty
6 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Just got in my SH-60F.  It is a great looking kit.  It also has a bunch of unused parts.  Some of these are the HIRSS exhaust (MH-60R and HH-60H) and clear parts for the sliding port side windows (HH-60Hs and USCG HH/MH-60J/Ts).  You can pretty much build any Naval H-60 from the kit (minus MH-60S), with just a little bit of scratch work around the port side windows.  This looks like a real winner.

There is an issue with the instructions in the first batch though.  There are some pages printed w/o diagrams and others where two pages are printed over each other.  If you get a set like this, contact Kitty Hawk and they will send a file w/the correct instructions.

Lastly,  a Kitty Hawk rep said that the MH-60S will be available on 1 OCT.

May I ask where you picked up this kit? Did you order direct from China?

1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

Just got word from KH that the MH-60S kits came in early and are available now.  

LOL, I just ordered all 3 kits from Sophia just this morning, and she was saying at the end of the month.  I guess it doesn’t really matter as it’s ordered, so it will be here when it gets here.

Maybe I’m missing something, but the SH-60F doesn’t appear to include the dipping sonar.  All it has is the side ejecting sonobuoy launcher, as in the SH-60B.  In fact, the plastic is identical to the B kit, except for the addition of a small sprue for a carousel of eight spare sonobuoys (the squadron In Action book states that they carried a small number of sonobuoys that could be manually dropped through a floor hatch).  Also, the kit has you build the sonobuoy launcher on the inside, and then use the port side window part with the plate that covers when the launch tubes were.

Wasn’t the primary difference between the B and F models that one carried sonobuoys and the other carried dipping sonar?  Can you actually build an F from the F kit?

Yes, but it depends on how you want to configure it.  The SH-60F isn't really dedicated to any one task/configuration.  It can be used w/a dipping sonar in the ASW role.  It is also used as a catch-all helicopter as well.

From USN site.

"The SH-60F operates primarily off of aircraft carriers, providing close-in anti-submarine protection of the carrier battle group, and search and rescue (SAR) support during carrier flight operations. During anti-submarine operations the SH-60F employs a powerful dipping sonar, an arsenal of sonobuoys, and Mk 50 torpedoes. The SH-60F is also used extensively for logistics, transporting personnel, mail, and supplies between ships in the carrier battle group."

If you look at various SH-60F walkarounds on line, they are configured in lots of different ways. So you get to choose how you want it to be.

Edited by HeavyArty

My understanding is that the MH-60R was the “can be configured for either” version, but when sonobuoy launcher used in the R is a shorter, more compact version of the one in the B.  I agree that the Fs can be used for other things like plane guard, but I haven’t ever seen one configured with the B style side ejecting 25 tube sonobuoy launcher that’s in the kit.  Also imagine that if not configured for ASW, the cabin would just contain seats.

According to the Squadron book, the F does carry sonobuoys, but only a small number that are ejected through the floor, so I do believe what’s on the USN site, but saying that the F carries sonobuoys isn’t the same as saying that it uses the big dedicated launcher like the B.  Even if the F ever did carry that big launcher, it would seem to be very rare, and I think it’s a mistake that they didn’t include the dipping sonar in the F boxing, since that was one of the main differences.

Hopefully when the kits become more available, an expert on the USN Hawks can pick the kits apart and tell us if the interior of the F kit is correct for any F, as well as what parts should/shouldn’t be used for the different options because, as noted, they changed a bit over the years.

Edited by Dave Williams

Also, does the kit include the short port stores pylon (the one similar to the starboard one)?  The kit seems to only have the long (fore/aft length) port pylon.  Many photos show the short pylon, while others show the long pylon, so I’m sure they are interchangeable, but some of the decal options seem to be fitted with the short pylon.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Also, does the kit include the short port stores pylon (the one similar to the starboard one)?  The kit seems to only have the long (fore/aft length) port pylon.  Many photos show the short pylon, while others show the long pylon, so I’m sure they are interchangeable, but some of the decal options seem to be fitted with the short pylon.

Hey-

The LHEP and RHEP (Left and Right Hand Extended Pylons) are mission kits that can be installed and removed as the mission dictates.  The right hand side pylon only applies to the MH-60R, not other types.  All the Romeo squadrons have these pylons on hand to use as required, so there's no correlation between decal options and pylon configurations.

Phil

Edited by Par429
9 minutes ago, Par429 said:

Hey-

The LHEP and RHEP (Left and Right Hand Extended Pylons) are mission kits that can be installed and removed as the mission dictates.  The right hand side pylon only applies to the MH-60R, not other types.  All the Romeo squadrons have these pylons on hand to use as required, so there's no correlation between decal options and pylon configurations.

Phil

This doesn’t really have anything to do with the Romeo squadrons.  I’m asking mainly about the B models.

19 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

If you mean the additional short pylon that sticks out on the longer port side pylon, then yes.  The directions do not show adding it, but it is on the sprues.  

No, that’s not what I mean.  I’m talking about the short pylon that doesn’t run the entire length of the cabin on the port side.  Like on this one carrying the torpedo.

Mark-46-SH-60B_Sea_Hawk.JPG

Edited by Dave Williams