New Kitty Hawk 1/35 Naval H-60s

No, that one is not in the kit.  Also, the fuselage is slotted and ribbed to accept only the long port side pylon.  You will have to do some filling and rescribing to use one like that.  You could probably cut down the port side extension piece to get close though.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone point me to some good reference for the White and grey scheme of the early ‘B’s? I’d like to do one of the smaller ship aircraft, not a carrier bird.

Only the prototype had the white over gray scheme.

Note, I have been working on the Bravo....and there are some small issues with the  instructions with regard to which holes to open both on the floor of the cabin and on the fuselage halves. I recommend you study the parts very carefully as you go. 

One part I did not find in the kit was the lower IRCM mount. I suspect this is included in the upcoming Romeo, but should have been included in the Bravo kit as well. Also, the RAST equipment/probe in the cabin is not found in the kit. Essential for small deck operations.

All decal options are for hi-vis aircraft. No subdued national markings on the sheet.

The Bravo evolved over time. Pylons changed, Antenna configurations changed. MEF MODs were added. Penguin and Hellfire were integrated onto the aircraft. Chose the aircraft you wish to model from references

Rich

Just picked the MS-60S kit off my front porch.  Only 5 days to ship from an eBay seller in HK.

Looking at the kit instructions and corrected instructions, they have you build the downward angled flare/chaff dispensers on both sides of the front where the ESSS pylons go, but it seems unlikely that they would be fitted if there was anything on the pylons (like the M197 gun).

Also, like in the MH-60L kit, you don’t get the lower landing gear covers with the aerodynamic fairings over the ESSS strut attachment points.  Not a problem if you use the struts or the dispensers, but if you use neither (like if you mount the M197), you’re kind of stuck.  These parts are only in the HH-60G kit.  They needed to be in this kit, as well as in the MH-60L.

Speaking of the instructions, only decal profiles for two of the four options included.

The external M197 looks great, but no instructions for what goes inside the cabin.  The kit has the ammo boxes from the MH-60L set, but don’t know if they are usable for the M197.  It looks like there are some PE feed chutes on the fret, but no instructions.

Edited by Dave Williams

Fingers crossed, but there don’t seem as many decal makers interested in Naval helos as there are in Army or USMC birds (in general, not just big scale).  I don’t remember anyone releasing anything for the Academy MH-60S kit.   I’d be surprised if there are any sheets, and even more surprised if the sheet would include standard low-viz markings instead of just another special scheme.

I've been playing catchup on all the newer navalized KH H-60 releases. A USCG H-60 was really the one I was most looking for. But reading earlier posts in this thread, I read it as no MH-60T kit is coming. That is unfortunate, hope someone (Floyd) releases a conversion set at least so we don't have to kitbash and scratch build.

• 2 months later...

Kitty Hawk have their instructions wrong and they seem not to have learnt much from their previous bloopers and lazy oversight.

What about their decals? Do you guys see the same problems with their decals that we have seen in their previous kits? 

It is the Italeri 1/48 kit with Èduard and Black dog detail sets. Oh and a bunch of scratch built parts. 

As for correcting proper markings and decal issues. I found a very accurate after market decals at "Authentic Decals" for the HH-60 squadrons. Only problem was the decals themselves are too weak and almost designate when wet. Expect to use liquid decal film. Not sure if they do 1/35th

20200315_202606-600x551.jpg